Simple 504 plan?

rfgraham

My son goes to a parochial school. They do recieve public funds through bussing and nurse from the local district. My son has ADHD and I am looking for some minor adjustments. Homework deadlines, Organizational help, verbal spelling tests, etc. nothing that would require professional services or require additional funding. The local SPED/IEP coordinator says I really only need an agreement with the school and get them to sign it into a 504 to protect against staffing changes. Can a simple 1page 504 plan be written with - psychologist diagnosis/recommendations, parent and school agreement on accommodations? Or does it have to be a big drawn out procedure, multi page document? If the Doctor, school and I agree, can we just do a 1page 504pan? There doesn’t seem to be any standard form ??
RG

nvts

Welcome to the crowd!

Short and sweet? NY has a 504 form, so I'd check out on your schools websites today or call the district on Monday. Ours is 2 pages long and requires input and signatures from the Dr.s office.

Now keep in mind (and I may be wrong here - Sheila and Martie will probably be on soon!) that a 504 is an accomodation and so they are open to interpretation and leave parents a lot less "ability to enforce" as they do with an IEP.

Good luck with the whole thing!

Beth

Sheila

Section 504 is a Federal law. As such, there are minimum standards in a 504 Plan that have to be met. Your sd has a form already prepared.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
I checked your profile and you don't have your state listed but the link for IDEA above has information about private schools and all federal regulations.

Here is some basic information I just Googled. Since your child has been diagnosed with ADHD In my humble opinion, I would go for eligibility determination for special services IDEA

http://idea.ed.gov/explore/search

What's the difference?

Section 504 from the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accommodations

Individualized Education Plan (IEP)

• Accommodations
  • Time lines
  • Assessments
  • Eligibility
  • Program
  • Least Restrictive Environment
  • Related Services (DIS)
  • Goals and Objectives
  • Complaints and Disagreements

Section 504
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act guarantees an appropriate special education as well as accessibility to regular education programs. It requires that all children with disabilities be provided a free, appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment. A person with a disability under Section 504 is any person who

(i) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities,

(ii) has a record of such an impairment, or

(iii) is regarded as having such an impairment.

This definition differs from that found in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), which defines specific disabling conditions. Because of this difference, some individuals who are not qualified for special education under IDEA may be qualified for special services under Section 504. In addition to students who are eligible under the definition of Section 504 but not under the definition of IDEA, there may also be students who have a disability according to both definitions but do not require special education. For example, some students who use wheelchairs may be qualified under both definitions. They may not require special education, but they may require special accommodations under Section 504.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) has many more restrictions for qualifications, but also provides more specialized services and safeguards.

Under IDEA an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is created for each child who qualifies.

Accommodations that are available through a Section 504 are also available to students with an IEP.

Timelines were created to ensure that the school district and the parents' responsibilities in all parts of the IEP process are carried out in a timely manner.

Examples:

• Can vary by District which varies by state days to respond with a proposed assessment plan to a written request for an evaluation for eligibility.
  • Can vary by District which varies by state Parent has days to sign and return the assessment plan
  • District has 60 days to evaluate the child and hold an IEP meeting
  • Parent may request a copy of assessment reports to be provided up to two weeks before the IEP meeting.
  • If the parent wants to make an audio recording of the IEP meeting, the district must be notified so they may also record for their records.
  • The district must schedule an IEP meeting within 30 days of the of the assessment being complete.
Assessments are completed by the school district in areas of suspected disability.
Examples include:

• Potential or intelligence
  • Achievement
  • Processing
  • Motor skills
  • Speech and language
  • Social/emotional
  • Behavior analysis
Program placement is dependent on Least Restrictive Environment. This means that students are not to be segregated from the general education students unless absolutely necessary.

• General Education
  • Inclusion
  • Resource
  • Special Day
  • Non-public school
Related Services = Designated Instructional Services (DIS) are available when they are necessary for the pupil to benefit educationally from his or her instructional program.

See the list of Designated Instructional Services on page
Goals and Objectives are written at least once a year. For most students they can be compared to the California State Standards which are guidelines for what students are expected to learn at each grade level. The goals and objectives are written for all areas of need that are determined by the IEP team. The goals and objectives are an important part of the IEP because they allow for all members of the IEP team to measure the student's progress.

Complaints and Disagreements are handled in a timely fashion. If the school district does not abide by the IEP, the parents can write a letter of compliance complaint to the State who will investigate the matter and make recommendations for resolution. If the parents and the district are in disagreement about any part of the IEP, they can file for mediation or due process where a third party can help to resolve the issue. All of these processes are carried out within legal timelines.

I hope this helps. :D and welcome to the site !!!:peaceful: