Since tweedle dee has gone into Residential Treatment Center (RTC)....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've had the chance to spend a great deal more time with tweedle dum.

wm has been coming over to mow the lawn & trim the hedges, clean the garage, etc. He's been, generally, in control. He's been for the most part a "human being".
:abouttime:How scary is that? :bigsmile:

For the first time in 6 years (yup, it's been 6 years) I'm taking wm down to see his grandpa, aunts & uncles. I'm getting into a vehicle alone with my son & traveling almost 6 hours to visit home. wm has been begging to visit grandpa at his home, to see his cousins, aunts & uncles. I finally agreed after much consideration & many discussions with his staff & tdocs.

Tdocs believe wm will hold it together because he's so motivated. In the meantime, I have made plans for all possible scenarios. wm's in home therapist will be bring wm over to my house tomorrow morning & we're having a sit down; making sure wm understands my expectations. Letting wm know that if anything at all is off during the drive down 911 will be called & he will be removed from my car. In other words, no dangerous behaviors or rages.

Saying all the above, wm has matured so much since January of this year. It's no longer a 6 year old in a 17 year old body. Emotionally he's more 12 or 13. That's huge for him. For the entire team. Like the light bulb finally went off in wm's brain.
:choir:

Keep a good thought tomorrow & this coming weekend ~ I'm a tad nervous being alone with wm for the first time in years. I've planned for the worst but expect the best. Don't think wm has done the same tho.
:crazy2:

JJJ

OMG! My first thought is that you have lost your mind. LOL My second thought was how absolutely wonderful that Wm has made such great progress. Be sure and let him know that "Aunt JJJ" is very proud of him!!!

JKF

That's great that he's made such progress! I hope you have a wonderful trip with no problems!

T

TeDo

Oh, Timer. I reacted the same way as JJJ. I am glad you feel enough progress has been made that you feel comfortable doing this. How exciting for both of you. I will be praying, rattling and pretzeling the whole time. Make sure you post after you get back. YEAH WM!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
JJJ, my family is asking the same thing. :bigsmile:

This may prove to the team that I'm not the most effective parent since my brain injury. Who knows?

JJJ

This may prove to the team that I'm not the most effective parent since my brain injury. Who knows?

You have made amazing progress since your injury. You may not be back to where you were before the injury but you are still a vibrant, interesting and wonderful woman.

cubsgirl

Safe Travels! I hope that you enjoy your trip and seeing your relatives. I'm so happy that wm has made such progress - I hope he continues to grow in emotional maturity.

susiestar

Roll With It
How awesome to hear that he has made enough progress that this is even something you could consider, much less plan and do with him!! I am proud of both of you for at least giving it a try!

As far as proving something to the treatment team - you are his mom, you are NOT auditioning for the part. You just have it. If they don't like it, well, so what? How many of the parents of the children they work with do they like/approve of?

You are a great mom and a wonderful person. You are just different than you were before - no more supermom, having to figure your own needs into the equation, NONE of the changes makes you a bad mom or in any way "unworthy" of being the tweedles' mom.

DazedandConfused

Wow..(sorry)..I'm sort of blown away by the fact that the Tweedles are 17! I haven't been the general forum in a while.

Have a fantastic trip with your son, Wm!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
'Stang, feel free to send my octopus buddy along ~ he'd be great for wm. You know, I'm going to look for a stuffed octopus & send it to Mr. 'Stang.

Dazed, I'm kind of stunned myself ~ it seems just 11 years ago they were 6 & coming home with husband & me.

Thanks all ~ wm will be here bright & early in the morning. A quick mtg with therapist & we're on the road. I'll update you on my return (or sooner if all heck breaks loose).

donna723

Me too, Linda. I hope this trip turns out to be all you hoped it would be and that it's a happy experience for both of you.