Single valentine?

Steely

I really, really despise this commercial holiday - mainly because it is commercial and dumb.
However perhaps it is more because it makes me feel bad about myself since I have been "a single" more than "a couple" most of my life. lol:imok:

However, I do think of all of us singles out there today (and those of us in unhappy relationships) and I just want to send my many hugs, positive wishes, and peace to you all!!!!!! I know for some of us today can be rough.
:group-hug:

T

TeDo

:notalone::flowers: The flowers arefor you my dear. I'm there with ya Steely. Even my kids forgot this year. Oh, well.

Jena

aww i'm sending you hugs back. yea commericals bite at times......... i used to buy myself flowers back in my single days... should i kept it up i didnt' get any flowers this year!!!! lol. i got to cook dinner for 5 kids than clean it up! yay me!!! :) as husband slept on the couch. clearly the romance is OUT the WINDOW :)

Marguerite

Valentines Day is no big deal here. The schools don't do anything special, families don't do anything special. Maybe couples might wish each other a happy Valentines Day or perhaps buy some flowers or chocolates. Although in our part of Australia, the floods in Victoria have wiped out 80% of the roses which were being grown for Valentines Day, so I specifically told husband, "Don't bring me roses!" He didn't bring me anything, but that was OK. I didn't get him anything, either!

The morning TV show was talking about Valentines Day - apparently they have found that more couples break up on Valentines Day than any other day of the year.

Depressing thought...

Steely, I've always said that "say it with flowers" can apply to a multitude of situations. For example, you could buy a large, spiky, phallic-looking cactus...

Marg

DammitJanet

I didnt get anything either. Well I take that back...Keyana's dance teacher gave me a heart shaped cookie...lol. She also gave all her little girls a valentine. Wasnt that sweet? Keyana also wished me a happy valentine's day.

trinityroyal

Valentine's Day strikes me as one of unmet expectations and dashed hopes.

It's built up as The Most Romantic Day Of The Year, and inevitably someone ends up disappointed -- either your husband/boyfriend/wife/girlfriend/assorted didn't get you just what you were hoping for, or they went to a lot of trouble and you didn't reciprocate and now feel guilty, or you're alone this year and assuming that everyone except you is having the Best Day Ever.

I remember when I was little and we would do the card exchanges in school, it was a different variant of the same story. There would be one little boy or girl who wasn't very popular or socially adept, and would get two or only one, or sometimes no Valentine's wishes from friends. It was heartbreaking. I never had much time for it when I was younger, and I have even less time or patience for it now. I'm awfully grateful that my husband feels the same way.