Sis gets a 504 for WORK! How cool is that?

BusynMember

She has a disorder called Cochlear Hydrops in which her hearing is severely affected, more at certain times then other times and sometimes she can't hear at all if somebody is talking to her from a distance. Since she is a teacher aide, that upsets some of the classroom teachers who she sits in with her special needs kids. They don't seem to believe her.
Fortunately, the new Special Education Director is a Speech Therapist and when she saw my sis's hearing charts, she freaked out and said that Sis deserves a 504 for staff. I had no idea that staff can get a 504. So this year things should be easier because she is going to recieve the same type of accommodations
that our children get.
Just wanted to share. I thought it was interesting and had never hard of a worker getting a 504!

InsaneCdn

How interesting...!
Up here (canada) - its actually easier to get accommodations at work than it is in school.
An employer has to make "reasonable allowances" - and in this case, what she needs is definitely not unreasonable.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I think it should be that way for everyone... Just because you cannot see something doesn't mean it's not there. husband has a handicapped placard - though to look at him, you see only an able-bodied Marine...

I had a 504 at work as well. I used to have leave 45 minutes early, 3 days a week to drive to an IOP program. The program was an hour an a half away, each way. Plus the program was 5 hours long-it was a long day, thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore.