Situation....???

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Busywend you are right... she was not feeling good tonight. We had a long talk tonight I gave her some Ibuprofin and even though most of the pool was in the shade... I am so careful of her sun exposure. She had a hat on the whole time!!! But I think the time prior to that was too much.
They wear rash guards, the little surf shirts, and and helio-plex 75-spf... which is the best sun cover... but still
Thanks

tammyjh

Sometimes I just don't have it in me to choose the battle so I don't. I strive for as much consistency for difficult child as I possibly can but then I have my days that I am so tired that I end up letting some things go and in certain situations, it ends up being the best choice. For my difficult child, once she's crossed that line, there is no alternative that is the best. Some days she's crossed that line before she's even gotten out of bed. I think that as long as she was within your sights and you weren't engaging her when she was in the middle of doing her thing, she eventually noticed she wasn't getting the attention she was seeking.
Hope she's feeling better today.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry she is not feeling well from the sun. It IS a natural consequence though. Hopefully at some point she will be well enough to actually learn from natural consequences.

When Jess was 4 and B was 7 my brother was still drinking (unknown to my parents). I had to fly back to OH an the 4th of July, with newborn thank you. My mom and dad let my bro take Jess and B to a lake for a "couple of hours". They GAVE him sunscreen, put it on before the kids left, made sure he had it with him.

Due to the drinking he kept them out ALL day, in the hot Oklahoma sun, and refused to let them use sunscreen (Have NO idea why). The kids ended up with HUGE blisters, a miserable 2 weeks with grandma and grandpa, doctor visits, and due to the dermatologist recommendation, 2 YEARS of NO sun in the summer, no swimming except at night, no swim lessons, no sports, NADA.

2 YEARS.

Maybe, if you can tell her about this, she might understand the importance of sun protection and head off the next one?

(by the way, my bro was not allowed to be alone with my kids until he had YEARS of sobriety, and had made what amends he could. He came very close to being in police custody over this - if I had been in town he WOULD have been. Now he is VERY careful with sunscreen for himself, his daughter, and my kids, no matter WHAT they are doing.)

Hugs totoro, hope you can maybe use this at some point to help her understand. You can show her a gold dollar and tell her that Jess had blisters THAT size!!

Susie

uncheerleader

Pollyanna
" this morning she was crying and saying her brain didn't feel like it was hers, she was poking her sister and saying she felt out of control and started crying, and saying she had no control over her body, and could someone else have taken control of her???"
..................oooooooohhhhhhhh!!!.......
I feel so bad for her. She obviously gets it but just can't help it.
Poor kid (you too!):anxious:

I have my own difficult child, I also work in childcare and have had a hand-full of other people's difficult child's over the last 20 years. Here are some things that have sometimes worked. (if you haven't tried them already)

*Try giving a warning, (this is my best weapon, I use it for every transition: "Okay, in 5 mins it will be time to put on your hat!" "Okay, 3 more mins." "one more min, then it's time!" Then proceed to talk to the other people around you about how cute etc. the hat is, maybe take turns trying it on and compliment each other saying that you want one too!!

*Discuss loudly with the others around you about hot bad the sun is getting today, is there anything we can do about it, etc. make sure she can hear you.

*Tell her that when she puts on the hat (or do whatever you are needing her to do) that you will be so proud of her that you will jump up and down and say "Yeah!!!" Then, when she does it, jump up and down and say "Yeah!!!" Be very silly when you do. You might even get requests for it later.

*What about a behavior chart? She gets a sticker for each good behavior and when the she gets all her stickers she gets a reward, like one day with out a hat!! (lol)

*When she's telling you that she is aware of the out of control feelings, sit down and talk about it. Ask her what you can do to help her when she feels this way, offer suggestions and ask her it she would be able to respond to these ideas. When she's in a calm state she may be better able to articulate what she needs you to do. (or it might start another episode, who knows?)

Good luck and I hope you get back to you routines soon!!:peaceful:

SAL

Jena

hi,

i'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. to be quite honest i go through this except the throwing stuff with-my little difficult child alot lately since she's not on medication's. i do restrain her, and talk to her calmly rub her arms remove her from wherever the trouble is occuring.

i've never thought to bring to a hospital or anything maybe i'm just insane, who knows.......i think that i would of physically taken her out of the pool, wrapped her little self in a towel and talked calmly to her.

i know it gets overwhelming i had similar situation tonight with four other kids she was freaking out on but that's what i do.

i can totally understand what you mean about having to restrain yourself it is difficult at times we are only human after all and there are times when they push so so very hard you want to or maybe a knee jerk reaction is to smack.

good luck while you are there

hugs to you
Jen