Six Months

DDD

You know Hound I have debated your business idea in my own head. Mind you I am ancient and darn near dead broke so not the most reliable source of wisdom, lol. on the other hand (not knowing a thing about the industry of interest) I wonder if you wouldn't be better providing product to an established organization as a supplier rather than a business owner. I realize the possible profits would be much less but there would not be the small business stress involved. You could quit at any time. You would be getting a check but not having to file government business forms and recording all the costs of operation. The paperwork and details of modern small business can be overwhelming even for the experienced. Knit, crochet, ship to established company and wait for the checks...sounds like a win/win to me. Hugs DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmm. Sounds like a win/win to me too. Except I have no clue who would buy it or how I'd go about finding out. But that is really an appealing way to do it! :)

There are no Michaels or other craft stores close enough that teaching a class would be a benefit. (the down side of living rural in a small town) And I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to teach. I could teach the basics easily enough, and many of the stitches, and explain reading patterns.......but I know I am no expert by far. There are still advanced patterns that I sit and attempt to follow what they're doing and I just blink and do a wth?? lol This is why so often I wind up writing my own patterns for things I want to make.

I've even considered having my patterns copy righted and to sell them, instead of making the actual items. But......again I have no clue how to do that either.

This idea popped into my head when i went onto a popular site for crochet. The woman writes her own patterns and sells them both for babies and dolls. I've even found her patterns in stores, I bought one for American Girl. I was working on one of them, as much to see how her measurements were compared to mine as anything, and I found myself asking why on earth was she doing this the hard way when there was an easier more direct way to do it? It was all I could do to actually finish the piece, which I was not impressed with when I was done. I've not attempted another one of her patterns due to this.........and hers were labeled "easy" when I could barely make sense out of parts of it, and clearly was done a much more complicated way, not the "normal way" of doing such articles of clothing. (if you've made enough, you realize there is a certain foundation to different items of clothing............or maybe I'm just weird and I've recognized the pattern of it lol ) It makes the "flow" of the piece easier, makes it look better. She didn't even come close on the piece I worked on, I was always trying to figure out wth she was doing.

Don't get me wrong, she has some really cute patterns for both infants and dolls. I guess it gets the job done, so to speak. But mine are made the exact same way you'd make them for a baby, just much smaller. Well, maybe not the bitty baby booty.........that is made to custom fit the dolls foot in order for it to stay on better, same with the Mary Jane's. A dolls foot is not the same as an infants, especially this one.

DDD

I don't even know how to sew, lol, so I'm surely no expert in your area. Why don't you start a new post and ask the family for specific ideas? Some of these guys are whizzes. Some months ago I spent an hour or two looking for web sites and possibilities for you. I googled hand crafted clothing, doll clothes and something else. Seems as though there were alot of hits. Sorry this is out of my baliwick (sp?) but logic leads me to believe that there is someone out there with an established business and integrity who might provide a win/win. Hugs DDD