Skype question

ctmom05

I am trying Skype to test its ability to replace our house phone; we are budget
crunching. Despite a few drawbacks, I am satisfied with the program's ability
to handle calls to and from landlines and cells.

My husband is not particularly sold on Skype because it is so computer based. By
looking around on their web site I can see that it is possible to use Skype
without your computer, but I don't really understand how this works.

I would love some feedback from folks who have used Skype without their
computer. How difficult was it to set up? Would you recommend trying it or
would you say "don't bother?"

Abbey

Spork Queen
No, don't use Skype. It's very unpredicatable. I only use it to talk to my friend's in Thailand and it only works about 50% of the time.

We use a free service that runs through the internet. You hook your landline up to the computer and just let it run. Actually, I think it's $9 for the year. Works perfectly. I'll ask H what it is. It's like Jackflash, or something like that.

Abbey

ctmom05

Abby,

Please post the info on what that service is that you're talking about when you find out; now I am curi:)us . . . I couldn't find anything under "Jack Flash."

Abbey

Spork Queen
http://www.magicjack.com

You buy a unit that plugs into your computer for $40 and a yearly fee of $20 that you pay at the end of the year. You can order it through their website, but most places like Best Buy carry the unit. Free long distance, etc. They have a free trial available.

You have to leave your computer on for it to work. We've only had to reboot to restart magicjack twice in a few months. Works very well.

Abbey