Smallworld-

klmno

Hi! I just looked at that link that you posted for Earthprowler and there was a reference to an article called Do's and Don'Tourette's Syndrome for Therapists for Bipolar, or something like that. Do you know where I might be able to find that article?

Thanks!!

smallworld

I think this is the paragraph to which you are referring:

"It is important for the therapist to have a good working
knowledge of Borderline (BPD) and other child psychiatric disorders.
Otherwise, it is very easy to fall into therapeutic
traps (e.g., being disappointed when a finely constructed
behavioral plan backfires when the child becomes manic
[Mackinaw-Koons and Fristad, 2004]). Therapy do's
and don'Tourette's Syndrome are outlined elsewhere (Fristad and Arnold,
2004; Fristad and Goldberg-Arnold, 2002). In addition
to being ineffectual, therapy that ‘goes nowhere' uses
up time, money, and hope. Conversely, when a therapeutic
alliance is formed and the therapist is knowledgeable
about childhood Borderline (BPD), families can experience
tremendous support. Borderline (BPD) tends to be a chronic illness
like diabetes or epilepsy, and an alliance with a good
therapist can help the family maintain course through​
the stormy seas of this illness."

Articles referenced in the treatment guidelines are listed at the very end of the piece. Try googling the author and complete title of the articles you're interested in to see if they can be found online. If not, let me know and I'll come up with Plan B.

klmno

Yes! That is it- I looked at the reference section at the end but I was squinting trying to read it and it looked like it included the CABF website in that info. for this article. I'll poke around a little more- it just sounded like an article I could use since I've seen too many tdocs either look befuddled when I/we are talking to them about our lives (wonder why LOL), or promise the moon when it is obvious that they don't "get it", or PUSH that stupid (Edit: Delete my "stupid"- it probably works great for somebehavior management stuff that will NEVER work with this situation.

Thanks for your efforts!!

smallworld

On the toolbar at the top of the article, there is a place to increase the magnification of the print so you don't have to squint. It looked to me as if the articles cited came from professional journals.

klmno

I found it and googled it- it looks like I would need to pay to download or order back issues or something. I'll try to look for something else written by this doctor- and see if it leads me to similar info.

smallworld

Mary Fristad has written a book called Raising a Moody Child: How to Cope with Depression and Bipolar Disorder. I don't know if it goes into the depth you're looking for, but you might be able to find it in your public library.

klmno

I'll look for that this weekend- Thank you!!

by the way, it turns out that difficult child's attny has a son who was diagnosis'd as adhd and now diagnosis has changed- they think maybe BiPolar (BP). Anyway, attny and I were chatting- he was asking me questions, like we all do here on the board. I recommended "The Explosive Child", he said he had it, was concerned it was a "too lax" approach, I said "no, try it, tweak it, the concept is really effective, that is what counts, and my difficult child is learning way more this way than he used to". Anyhoooo, the point I'm leading to, I believe it is conversations like this and the experiences and knowledge being spread around that give our kids the best chance and hope- the stigma just has to be dealt with. This board has helped me because I don't think I would have been comfortable having that conversation sitting in a crowded waiting area of Department of Juvenile Justice court otherwise. But, it seemed to help the attny, too! His son is only 5 yo. And, with the lack of local resources and public support, I wouldn't have even known about the book had it not been for this board, I only looked for books that had "BiPolar (BP)" in the title once that diagnosis came up for my son.