Smiles ~ new synthetic drug

Kathy813

Staff member
Some of y'all have probably read about the recent death of a 28-year-old actor who killed his landlord (an elderly woman) and then fell off the roof to his death.

Police think the 28-year-old rising star, who played Kip 'Half-sack' Epps on the FX show, may have been under the influence of a drug few have heard of, a substance known informally as “Smiles.”

Here is some information about "Smiles":

It’s part of a new wave of synthetic drugs finding their way onto America’s streets and into its clubs. With the chemical name 2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenethylamine, it is known by drug agents and chemists as 2C-I, part of a closely-related family of “2C” drugs.

Like all the 2C drugs, it’s a psychoactive, hallucinogenic chemical that alter the brain’s balance of dopamine and serotonin. Smiles is particularly powerful, binding to serotonin receptors in the brain at 20 times the rate of another drug used in schizophrenia research, according to an experiment performed by Purdue University chemists.

The effects of 2C-I, like those of LSD, can last up to eight hours. But because the effects can take time to appear, users may think they haven’t taken enough to get the desired high, and so take more, risking overdose.

The drug can be taken as small tablets, on pieces of blotter paper like LSD, or in powder form, often mixed with something else, like chocolate.

The article goes on to say that that is is impossible for the DEA to stay ahead of this because new drugs are emerging constantly.

Source: http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/201...treet-drug-tied-to-sons-of-anarchy-death?lite

~Kathy

Nancy

Great, something else to worry about.

Thanks for posting, we need to keep up on the latest drugs.

Nancy

Calamity Jane

Coincidentally, my FILs tenant was talking to me about this yesterday (Sun), and I had no idea what she was talking about. From the description you posted, it sounds as bad if not worse than bath salts. Ugh.