Smoking, while doing other things...

Pink Elephant

The, Do You Remember When thread, got me thinking about a little something that was mentioned, that little something being smoking.

Having always been a stay-at-home mom and homemaker, and a smoker, I did most everything with a cigarette (aside from the obvious... cooking and baking and things), but everything else was fair-game. If it could be done with a cigarette, chances are good, I did it.

Anyhow, thought it would be interesting to talk about with everyone here.

What are some that you have done (or do) while smoking?

AppleCori

OMG, OH...

I remember my mom smoking—in the grocery store, at the dinner table after we finished eating, in restaurants, and always in the house. I don’t specifically remember her doing it while doing housework, but I’m sure she did.

A few weeks ago, my daughter and I went to the restroom on an airplane, and there was an ashtray ( like the ones that used to be in cars) on the outside of the door. I had to explain what it was, and that people used to smoke on planes. She was shocked!

Pink Elephant

Hi, Apple!

You know, I think that's where I got it from, my mom. She always had a cigarette on the go.

There's not a doubt in my mind that your mom did certain things in and around the home with a cigarette. I definitely remember my mom doing it, just as I remember other housewives/homemakers doing it.

My aunt (moms sister) was famous for it.

Yes, I remember when smoking was allowed on planes, buses, even clothing and department stores. I'm glad those days are behind us now.

But thinking about this, I even remember smoking at babysitting jobs I worked at, mind you I never tended to baby things and matters with a cigarette, but I sure did with my own children.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My friend's father used to smoke while he was eating. It was really gross.

He died from lung cancer many years ago.

Pink Elephant

Hi, RN!

Even as a smoker that grossed me out. Don't honestly know how anyone can do that. Remember as a kid watching a woman eating French fries while smoking, and that image still sits as fresh in my mind today, as it did 40 (plus) years ago.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I worked in a factory as a young girl (13 years old). Many of the women smoked while they ate in their lunch break. Yuk! I used to smoke but not while I ate.

BusynMember

My BFF forever was a chain smoker. She did everything with a cigarette. I loved her so I did not tell her not to smoke around me and did not say a word when she smoked around her babies. Aside from this, she was the best person I ever met and she will always be my sister. I feel her with me.

My friend got cancer young and her husband, who also smoked, quit right away. They had six kids, two very young. Although my friend fought hard and lived ten years, I remember her with oxygen smoking a cigarette. I always wondered if she would have healed had she quit. R.I.P. my very best friend ever.

To me, smoking is gross and I notice people who are just sticking their arms out of trucks holding cigarettes and I cringe when mother's, even outside, smoke while with their littles. I think of this wonderful woman I still love and wish she had quit, at least after her cancer diagnosis.

Although a few of my family smoked before the dangers were known, they all quit and we're never gross or ran around smoking. They sat by ash trays. My grandfather died of lung cancer. He had smoked for a long time.

I still think about my bestie at age 48 in a wheelchair with oxygen smoking a cigarette. Makes me sad.

Nobody smokes in her family now.

Anyhow those are my memories, none good.

KTMom91

My mom smoked, as far back as I can remember she always had a cigarette. When Miss KT was born, I asked her to go outside to smoke while we visited her. She decided to quit. That was almost 27 years ago. The power of the first grandchild!

Lil

I smoked for years. I didn't start until I was in law school - so in my 20's and well after I knew it was bad for me. I was the very last person to graduate from the law school building I was in - they built a new one that opened the next year - but they allowed smoking then everywhere but the classrooms. So in the halls and lounge, I smoked. They don't even allow it in your car on campus now!

I never smoked while eating though, on a VERY rare occasion, I might have one between appetizer and meal or meal and dessert. Really, I preferred sitting in the no-smoking section even then. Our city has an ordinance now prohibiting it in public buildings.

I did smoke in my car. Long car trips still make me want one. I ALWAYS opened the window. How the heck can anyone stand not to?

I always said I'd quit when my doctor said it was making me sick. Eventually, I got tonsillitis and was on antibiotics. Then immediately got a sinus infection. My doctor said, "You know I never lecture on smoking, but you would not be sick right now if you weren't a smoker." I quit.

BUT it didn't last. I quit for a number of years, bumming one at times and finally started again. I struggled with quitting for a long time and finally Jabber and I quit about two years ago. When Difficult Child went to Colorado we started again and finally quit November 2016. I haven't had one since.

I liked smoking, but I like my life in general better as a non-smoker. I've never liked the smell and after I quit my clothes, etc. reeked! We never smoked in the house - thank heavens. I like that I don't have to think about smoking. I don't have that urge at a movie or a bar etc. I can say, however, that there are times the urge hits HARD still...generally at times of stress. But it's so inconvenient to be a smoker.

BusynMember

Lil, kudos!

My hub quit. Yes, I of all people married a smoker. He quit five times before he quit for good. Now smoke bothers him, like it does me. He complains about his co workers on smoke breaks who toss butts on the ground instead of using the ash tray.

I hear in California you are fined for tossing butts on the ground. I would like that. There are butts everywhere.

The thing is, my husband may comeplain now but he wasn't all that considerate when he smoked but he swears he was. Whatevah!!!

Lil

He complains about his co workers on smoke breaks who toss butts on the ground instead of using the ash tray.

I can't say I never tossed a butt on the ground, but I can honestly say I NEVER did it if there was an ashtray nearby. In fact, I used to roll the cherry off and then put the butt in a trash can if there was no ash tray.

Littering is stupid.

svengandhi

I had a boyfriend whose mother never did anything without a cig in her mouth. She would be cooking and she could flick her face a couple of degrees and the ash would fly into the ashtray she had nearby. She never missed and her ash chain would be half the cigarette or more. When she got sick and i visited her in the hospital, in the early 1980's, when you could still smoke in the hospital, there she was, with a cigarette in her mouth. I dated her son for 7 years and she never got ash in the food!

Here's a gross but true story. I'm Jewish, which I mention in the context of this story just to show that I was (at least at that time) unfamiliar with the concept of the Italian wake. It was the early 1990's and H took me to the wake of the cousin of one of his friend's mothers. The deceased was in her 70's. As I stood there, I overheard the following conversation about the dead woman: "OMG, what a great job they did with her." "Yes, I know. It's absolutely wonderful, she's so beautiful." "You know, I have to say that I have never seen her looking better than she does in her casket." At that point, I went over to H and told him what I had overheard. He then told me that the dead woman had been an inveterate smoker, that she had terminal lung cancer but that what actually killed her was that she sneaked cigarettes into the hospital and caused an explosion in her oxygen tent! Yes, cigarettes actually DO kill!

Pink Elephant

My BFF forever was a chain smoker. She did everything with a cigarette. I loved her so I did not tell her not to smoke around me and did not say a word when she smoked around her babies. Aside from this, she was the best person I ever met and she will always be my sister. I feel her with me.

My friend got cancer young and her husband, who also smoked, quit right away. They had six kids, two very young. Although my friend fought hard and lived ten years, I remember her with oxygen smoking a cigarette. I always wondered if she would have healed had she quit. R.I.P. my very best friend ever.

To me, smoking is gross and I notice people who are just sticking their arms out of trucks holding cigarettes and I cringe when mother's, even outside, smoke while with their littles. I think of this wonderful woman I still love and wish she had quit, at least after her cancer diagnosis.

Although a few of my family smoked before the dangers were known, they all quit and we're never gross or ran around smoking. They sat by ash trays. My grandfather died of lung cancer. He had smoked for a long time.

I still think about my bestie at age 48 in a wheelchair with oxygen smoking a cigarette. Makes me sad.

Nobody smokes in her family now.

Anyhow those are my memories, none good.
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your close friend. Indeed, smoking has many ugly sides to it.

Pink Elephant

My mom smoked, as far back as I can remember she always had a cigarette. When Miss KT was born, I asked her to go outside to smoke while we visited her. She decided to quit. That was almost 27 years ago. The power of the first grandchild!
Good on you. :) A little tough-love goes a long way sometimes.

Pink Elephant

I smoked for years. I didn't start until I was in law school - so in my 20's and well after I knew it was bad for me. I was the very last person to graduate from the law school building I was in - they built a new one that opened the next year - but they allowed smoking then everywhere but the classrooms. So in the halls and lounge, I smoked. They don't even allow it in your car on campus now!

I never smoked while eating though, on a VERY rare occasion, I might have one between appetizer and meal or meal and dessert. Really, I preferred sitting in the no-smoking section even then. Our city has an ordinance now prohibiting it in public buildings.

I did smoke in my car. Long car trips still make me want one. I ALWAYS opened the window. How the heck can anyone stand not to?

I always said I'd quit when my doctor said it was making me sick. Eventually, I got tonsillitis and was on antibiotics. Then immediately got a sinus infection. My doctor said, "You know I never lecture on smoking, but you would not be sick right now if you weren't a smoker." I quit.

BUT it didn't last. I quit for a number of years, bumming one at times and finally started again. I struggled with quitting for a long time and finally Jabber and I quit about two years ago. When Difficult Child went to Colorado we started again and finally quit November 2016. I haven't had one since.

I liked smoking, but I like my life in general better as a non-smoker. I've never liked the smell and after I quit my clothes, etc. reeked! We never smoked in the house - thank heavens. I like that I don't have to think about smoking. I don't have that urge at a movie or a bar etc. I can say, however, that there are times the urge hits HARD still...generally at times of stress. But it's so inconvenient to be a smoker.
I'm so grateful smoking has been banned in public places to the extent that it has. I remember how smoky the church secretary room was whenever I helped with the books and things, and I was a smoker at the time. So bad.

Pink Elephant

Lil, kudos!

My hub quit. Yes, I of all people married a smoker. He quit five times before he quit for good. Now smoke bothers him, like it does me. He complains about his co workers on smoke breaks who toss butts on the ground instead of using the ash tray.

I hear in California you are fined for tossing butts on the ground. I would like that. There are butts everywhere.

The thing is, my husband may comeplain now but he wasn't all that considerate when he smoked but he swears he was. Whatevah!!!
Cigarette butts on the ground are the worst. Such a turn-off.

Pink Elephant

I can't say I never tossed a butt on the ground, but I can honestly say I NEVER did it if there was an ashtray nearby. In fact, I used to roll the cherry off and then put the butt in a trash can if there was no ash tray.

Littering is stupid.
I agree, littering is shameful.

Pink Elephant

I had a boyfriend whose mother never did anything without a cig in her mouth. She would be cooking and she could flick her face a couple of degrees and the ash would fly into the ashtray she had nearby. She never missed and her ash chain would be half the cigarette or more. When she got sick and i visited her in the hospital, in the early 1980's, when you could still smoke in the hospital, there she was, with a cigarette in her mouth. I dated her son for 7 years and she never got ash in the food!

Here's a gross but true story. I'm Jewish, which I mention in the context of this story just to show that I was (at least at that time) unfamiliar with the concept of the Italian wake. It was the early 1990's and H took me to the wake of the cousin of one of his friend's mothers. The deceased was in her 70's. As I stood there, I overheard the following conversation about the dead woman: "OMG, what a great job they did with her." "Yes, I know. It's absolutely wonderful, she's so beautiful." "You know, I have to say that I have never seen her looking better than she does in her casket." At that point, I went over to H and told him what I had overheard. He then told me that the dead woman had been an inveterate smoker, that she had terminal lung cancer but that what actually killed her was that she sneaked cigarettes into the hospital and caused an explosion in her oxygen tent! Yes, cigarettes actually DO kill!
I love the comical side of your story! :) The flicking of the cigarette ash brought a smile to my face. Do think there are smokers who are good at it. LOL! Reminded me of the opening theme of Married with Children, where Peggy, is stirring something in a pot with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth.

BusynMember

I don't have a memory of family flicking ashes all over, but I believe my friend did and, as much as I loved her, I flinched at this habit, which I found dirty and unkempt. How can you have a clean home with ashes all over? To this non smoker, her house always smelled of stale cigarette smoke.

In the big picture, I am very anti-smoking and have never tried to hide it. Smoking is very dangerous to a body an d causes early death in very uncomfortable ways with CHF, lung cancer (and this is second hand smoke ingestion too), respiratory problems, a smokers cough (my husband had one...it was awful. It's so great he doesn't have this alnymore), and it smells bad and permeates ones clothing and from my husband I don't think some smokers realize how bad it smells to others who don't smoke. I can't see any up side to smoking and don't think it's funny. I think they had Peggy Bundy with the cigarettes to show she was sort of trashy and dirty, which is the role she played on a very funny show.

I am happy that not only laws favor people with clear lungs but that smoking is not as "cool" now. I have a friend from high school I hadn't heard from in 30 years, but she decided to call me again and right away I could tell by her froggy, hoarse voice that she has been smoking all this time. You don't even have to ask. You can tell. That froggy voice can not mean anything good about the lungs or voice box. I find all long time smokers have this froggy voice.

Now I don't CARE if people smoke, as long as it' snot around me and as long as it isn't my kids (thankfully they don't), but I do think it is in every smoker's best interest to quit, especially after 50. Your quality of life is affected. Ys, there is always the odd guy who lived until 90 and was fairly healthy and smoked. But that really isn't the rule. And moms with kids....please don't smoke anywhere near those babies. It has been proven that children who live in smoking homes have more asthma and respiratory disease. Why do that to the littles?

Off the soap box!!!!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
My mom smoked until she and my dad got serious. Then she quit because he would not be with a smoker. My Grandpa on Dad's side died of a heart attack caused by smoking. His doctor told him that if he didn't stop, he would be dead before he finished the pack he was on. Even knowing that, Grandpa still insisted on smoking those last cigarettes. Of course he likely was at the end anyway, but it very much shortened the time he would have.

My brother and I had the upstairs of the house we had until I was 13. We both agreed that we did not want anyone smoking anything up in our area. My parents said this was reasonable. My aunt on my mom's side came to visit. Auntie was a smoker and if she wasn't cooking, she was smoking. My mother made her finish her cigarette before she went up to our rooms to see some changes. Auntie had a FIT about how rude it was for bro and I to insist that adults not smoke in our rooms. Mom told her she could be as upset as she wanted, but she could not go upstairs with a cigarette lit. Period.

I smoked for a short while, but never around my kids. It was a stress reliever and a break from them. I didn't do much besides read a book.

Years before, when young Wiz first saw my mother's best friend light a cigarette, he asked her, "Why are you setting yourself on fire?". She couldn't really give him an answer. About 4 years later I was visiting the same family friend with Jess while Wiz was in school. Jess asked her the same question. They had never seen anyone light a cigarette. The second time she had an answer. She flat out told Jess, "Because I am very dumb." and she put the cigarette out. It seemed like a good answer to give a 2 year old.