Snow, snow, snow

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm somewhat flipping out. Trying to use the 'The Secret' thing here. We already have 3 inches on the ground with now another 10-14 scheduled for tonight with blizzard winds. Winter warning out. I have errands to run and have a kidnapper van to do that with. It does not like slippery roads. I haven't driven in nearly 3 years because of vision. Cross all body parts that I will make it to work tomorrow. It's coming down pretty heavy.

I'm skipping the errands. FYI - If you're in WI on a frontage road, be very careful of a huge red van. There is some crazy woman driving in it.

Abbey

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Me? Staying out of WI. Do not like snow. 12 years ago in a sleet storm, in a fight with XH, someone ran me off the road & I hit a guard rail. Took me 3 years to drive on the highway and about 6 to drive on it in snow. I'm still paranoid about that...

muttmeister

It is snowing like crazy here too. We had about 5 inches on Sunday and today they are predicting 7-12 more. I think we have over another 6 already. I thought I was in for the duration, making Christmas cookies, but difficult child 2 just called and he has to go to the grocery store for milk for the baby so they want me to come and babysit. Keep in mind that the nearest grocery store is one town over, 7 miles from here. They were in town twice yesterday and they've been predicting this blizzard for days. How can they be so stupid to let themselves run out of milk? I am not a happy camper.

BusynMember

I'm in Wisconsin and I think I saw you :tongue:.

Actually, there is a winter storm warning here. My kids are already cheering for school to be canceled tomorrow, but we're so used to snow that it isn't canceled unless the snow is up to your waist. They are predicting 7-12 inches, but our little corner of the world seems to always luck out...the surrounding areas get all the bad stuff and it's usually not as bad for us. We'll see.

I don't like to drive in the snow. If I had a 4X4 I wouldn't mind. Hub has one, but I can't drive a stick shift. Yes, I'm retarded. He did try to teach me. So if I can, I'm staying in.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Sorry you don't like it, Abb

but I say....BRING IT ON!!!

I've had to take the horse to town for milk before...it'll be alright.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can't even hear you these snow doughnuts are SO MUCH FUN TO MAKE

vroom...............vrrrrrrrrrrrrrroom.............vrrrrrrrrrommmmmm

MWM - if you come here I'll teach you how to drive a standard.......and how to make snow doughnuts.......

VRRRRRRRRRRom........vrrrrrrrrrommmmmmm

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yeah, Starbie...you don't drive the kidnapper van. Two seats and nothing in it. I was literally going 15mph this morning. And, I own the world's worst scraper. I think I'm hunkering down for the night.

ps...the box wll say, "Do not freeze or shake."

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Abbey, as a long time veteran of snow country, and having driven a "steelback" van in slick conditions, I can make a suggestion that might help you out a lot.

Go out and get four 25 lbs of plain clay cat litter--if you can't get this, get rock salt.

Place 2 bags over each side of the rear axle in the back of the van. This will tremendously increase traction in a rear-drive vehicle and in addition you can use it if you do get stuck.

For scrapers for tall vehicles, I recommend the long, extendable ones what have the brush on one side, the squeegee on the other, and a scraper at the very end.

trinityroyal

Abbey, GN suggested exactly what I was going to recommend. When you're driving around in the kidnapper van, it's rear-wheel drive but all the weight is over the front (seats, engine, etc.), so it's very hard for the drive train to actually...um...drive. The big bags of cat litter will weigh down the back end AND if you ever get stuck in the snow, sprinkle some of the cat litter under your tires to gain traction.

I also highly recommend that you keep the following in your van for the duration of snow season:
  • a small shovel
  • the aforementioned cat litter
  • a blanket (those silver ones are cool and space-agey, but a fleece one will do...even those funky ones with the sleeves)
  • jumper cables
  • candles, for warmth as well as light
  • matches, preferably waterproof
  • an empty can or glass jar in which to set the candle if you ever need to light it
  • chocolate bars, energy bars or some other high-calorie snack that won't spoil
  • flares

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here a lot of the hardware type stores sell winter emergency kits that contain most or all of the above. If not, just get a sturdy Rubbermaid-type bin and put all of that stuff in it. Secure it in the van somehow so that it's not rattling around in the back...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I actually carry a "squat stove", it burns tablet fuel. I use it for heating water for instant soup and the like. Be sure to open a window if you use one of these or even a candle.

Also, make VERY sure you have all snow and other obstructions cleared away from around the tailpipe.

The last thing you need is CO poisoning.

For candles I recommend either the Jewish Sabbath Candles or even better Yahrzeit (Jewish Memorial Candles). The latter come in a glass and are meant to burn overnight.

The Hispanic Catholic memorial candles are bigger but burn very quickly and produce a lot of smoke. In addition, many of them are heavily scented.

mstang67chic

Going Green
A metal coffee can is a good one to have also for your emergency kit. You can use it to melt snow. I also keep at least a pack or two of those chemical hand warmers in my car in the winter. I figure I can put them at major pulse points to help stay warm if needed. With the kidnapper van though, you could put all sorts of things in a tub and keep in the van.

Everything mentioned in the other posts, sleeping bag or a couple of blankets, a partial jug of water (partial so if you leave it in the van, it has expanding room when it freezes), a box of granola bars or something similarly non-perishable, extra socks/gloves/hat, crank flashlight and maybe a large piece of cardboard or a tarp to section the back of the van from the front to conserve heat.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not sure if we're supposed to get this storm or if it's going above us. Since I've absolutely no where to go.......either is fine with me. :)

However, your post reminded me that I need to desperately winterize my car. husband and the kids all do, but until this year, I've never really had to drive far enough away from home to worry about it. Much of it I'll just move from husband's car. lol He's not driving out of town anytime soon anyway.

Stay warm. If you start to slide in ice or slush....ease your foot off the acelerator, don't slam on the brakes. (fools around her love to do that) If it's too bad they may close the store so watch the closings on tv in the morning.

((hugs))

flutterby

Fly away!
This is why I've been pestering easy child to rotate my tires for months. I got stuck in just 2 inches of snow last year - this car just doesn't handle it well.

by the way - I'm staying off all roads in WI for the duration of the winter. :D

Lisa, I think we're mainly getting rain, with some sleet and snow, but no accumulation. We have a high wind warning, though.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, tried to go smoke an early morning cig and couldn't even get the door open. Just great. Will 'winterize' my van tomorrow. Right now I hear sirens outside my door.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope everyone you know and your neighbors are all OK.

Sounds like you have gotten some good advice. With a van I would recommend 1 more thing. Go to Bass Pro and get a camping toilet. They are very sturdy small barrels. They have sturdy plastic bags, something to seal them with, and a toilet seat to hold them in place. The lid has a holder for a roll of TP. IF, heaven forbid, you were stuck in your van, going outside could be dangerous. You won't be able to see much if it is during a storm, so no one will see YOU outside searching for a spot. It may take hours for someone to find you. You may fall while you are outside, risking hypothermia. There are other reasons, too.

My mom bought one because she likes to travel and get "bargains". Also because the nearest cities for medical stuff are 90+ minutes away. So she is on the road a LOT and if there was a car problem she might not be able to wait for a gas station.

This is the one she bought: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_23628____SearchResults

I hope you can drive safely where you need to go.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, I just spent the last hour and a half trying to just get my van back in my driveway. Backed out ok, but...nothing there after. Shoveling, kitty litter...nothing. A guy across the street comes home and tries to get his snow blower going. Too wet of a snow so he comes to try and help me.

Enter two guys who are just walking down the road with shovels. Fast forward an hour I have 5 guys trying to get my car at least out of the road. They were pushing and yelling...just gun it. I had visions of me crashing through my garage door.

I finally asked the 2 guys, soo...why are you walking around at 4am with shovels? They said this is how they make money...shoveling people's drives. Stupid me has no cash on me to say thanks. I'm sure I'll see them again and be more prepared.

I had to laugh as my next door neighbor came over saying he went out to take a pee and saw I was having problems. Dude...it's 4am and a blizzard and you're going out to take a pee outside?

I AM NOT GOING INTO WORK TODAY.:mad:

Then to top it off, some old lady who delivers newspapers comes scooting along in this little car with no problem. She yells...just keep your wheels straight! Yeah, like I hadn't thought of that.

Tried calling a cab and they just laughed.

Great start to a day. I'm having visions of Vegas right now.

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Perhaps we could work out a trade....

My Edna for your kidnapper van.

We could use more space, anyway....lol

DammitJanet

IM just dying laughing at all this as I sit here wiping sweat off my face! Its 72 degrees here! Im hot! By Friday it will be colder though...its gonna be 50!