Snow, snow, snow

jal

Abbey - I had to laugh tonight. We got some significant snow today (for the first time) and on the nightly news they showed your state and spoke about how much you had and the blizzard warnings that were up. They showed a road shot and I slightly looked away and it was the back of a vehicle going down a VERY snowy road...all I could think of was your comment about the van...I swore it could've been you driving!

Abbey

Spork Queen
One thing I'll have to say about Wisconsinites is they are very generous and helpful. After trying to unsucessfully shovel out the van I was pooped and tried to take a nap. There were snow blowers going off all around me. I look out my window and a neighbor had done all my walks. When you live on a corner lot, that's a lot of walks.

Then he comes back a couple hours later and says, "Gimme those keys. I'll get that damn van out then plow your driveway." Keep in mind it's snowing like crazy and 40mph winds. All I could see of him was his eyes. He had one of those mask thingys on. He knocks about an hour later and says, "Well, most people put rock salt or kitty litter in their car, but I see you got some rocks and bricks. Interesting."

I had made a pot roast in the crockpot and gave it to him to take back for he and his wife for his efforts. It's nice to have good neighbors.

Jal - that wouldn't have been me on the road. ;)

Janet - I'm thumbing my nose at you.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow Abbey. It IS nice to have good neighbors. :D

All we got was cold, howling / raging winds and rain......... I had about 10 cats crowded into the doghouse I have on the porch for them and about 10 more huddling on the porch trying to stay dry and not be blown away!

Stay warm and dry. ((hugs))

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When I first moved up to Rhinelander (due west of where Abbey lives), I drove an older Toyota Corolla. Nice little car, got great mileage, but it was sadly deficient in the ground clearance department.

We got 2 feet of snow one winter day and I had to stop at my ins office to pay for my ins.

I some how got into the lot OK, but while I was in the office, the city plow came and threw up a wall of snow nearly as tall as I was.

While I was trying to figure out what to do next, eight very BIG young men came over. They picked up my car, pushed it up the barrier and then guided it back down to street level.

They wouldn't so much as let me buy them something to drink and a snack from the gas station next door.

Needless to say, I got the current Toyota SUV as soon as I could

Abbey

Spork Queen
haha, GN. Yes, just when you think you have finished the plow comes through. I don't know about where you are, but here you have 24 hours to remove all snow from mailboxes and fire hydrants. Well...corner lot, I have both. That snow was about 4 feet of HEAVY WET SNOW after the plow came through. I literally looked at that wall of snow and said...screw it. I'll take the city fine, and they DO fine you.:tongue:

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have one advantage to living in an older trailer in a decent mobile home park. My lot rent includes snow removal from the park roads (not driveways, I use a plowing svc for that). The park mgmt keeps snow cleared from around the mailboxes and hydrants.

And yes, they'll fine you cross-eyed

DammitJanet

LOL...if we had 4 ft of snow, it wouldnt matter about mailboxes and fire hydrants. No one would be out that could possibly get to them! This place would shut down until spring...lol. Heck, our schools close if they even mention that flurries are imminent.

I will have to post a picture of last years blizzard. LOL. You guys in the frozen north will laugh at us.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, they don't play around with hydrants and mailboxes. I got a ticket the FIRST day I moved here last year. Shoot...all I had was flip flops and spaghetti strap tops and no shovel. I wasn't getting out there.

One thing about small towns is the cops don't have a whole lot to do so they just patrol trying to find ordinance violations. They are quite successful.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet Dear -

(passes fan and Iced tea) Would you say the umbrella needs to block the hot, hot noon sun or should we wait until 1:00 PM...when there's a nice balmy breeze?

:hot::picnic:please have another watercress sandwich...;)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
One thing about small towns is the cops don't have a whole lot to do so they just patrol trying to find ordinance violations. They are quite successful.

Abbey
Speaking of small town cops, ours just got his second DWI.

And when they found out about that, they also discovered his license has been suspended since June.

Gotta love it!