So angry with easy child

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Janet. Travis started paying 100.00 a month rent when he turned 18 and got his first job. Actually mine is no set rate.......it's what they can afford. Because I'm not trying to bleed them dry, I want them to be able to save and move out some day. lol

But along with his rent.......Well, Travis has an appetite that is astounding to say the least, so he also had this habit of basically eating me out of house and home. I'd go to get something from the pantry and there would be nothing. So we also had the rule you eat it all you replace it. Otherwise I'd never have been able to cook, or keep us in food. lol

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
If I ran into his parents at the grocers, I don't trust myself to be civil at this moment...I think it would difficult for me NOT to ask, "Why would you encourage my daughter to move into your home when you know she already has a loving home?"

Jo, I asked the question about Casper moving in with you fully expecting what your response would be. You seem be to be assuming that Casper's Mom is happy about the idea of easy child moving in there but it's quite possible that she's groaning, too. ;)

I just know that in retrospect, it was so hard on ME when Rob made What I thought were dumb decisions and it didn't make one iota of difference in his choices. easy child is 22. Let go of the anger and hurt even though it seems impossible now. I think this is one of those times when you need to take a deep breath, step back, and allow the premise behind the Serenity Prayer to prevail...

Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Suz

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I did think of that Suz, but I also know his mom well enough to know that she'd always have her door open, especially to easy child - she would never turn anyone away and I don't think she'd be groaning at all.

That said, easy child came home from the DR (I was right, she has walking pneumonia) and told me she'll be spending the week at Casper's - to get a feel for it. I couldn't help it, I asked how his parents felt about it. She said, "Mrs. Casper said that I am welcome to move in if I'm no longer comfortable at home but that she would be concerned about any anger or hostility from us towards her and Mr Casper"....

...which prompted me to ask, "Why would she think you're not comfortable at home and why would there be any hostility?"

easy child backpeddled and said, "Well, she meant if I was looking for more independence" ...

...which again prompted me to ask, "And moving out of your family home and into theirs is independence how?"

...So easy child then said, "Well, I'm moving out because I think that P (my H) has anger issues that he needs to resolve and I'm not comfortable with his rants" (My H does rant and talk very loudly, but he isn't always angry just because he's loud)...

...I couldn't leave it alone and said to her, "H and I could wrap our heads around you wanting to move out or get an apt with Casper, but we don't 'get' why you'd move out of your home and into their home and, to boot, stay in a separate bedroom" And so it went, very calmly and quietly. A quiet calm discussion.

Then I looked over and easy child looked to be near tears, so I put up my hand and repeated to her that she was 22 and is in control of her life, that our door was always open should things not work out, blah blah blah. She went into her room for a bit and then came out to leave.

At the top of the stairs, I had to open my big fat mouth again and added in, "I want you to at least think about one thing. When you came back from school 2 years ago, you had dreams and adventures you wanted to explore. But then you got back together with Casper and everything fell by the wayside. Your world keeps getting smaller and smaller - what happened to all those things you wanted to do?" She looked at me (like I was the devil, which maybe I am) and then left. And that was that.

So, part of me wishes I could throw my arms into space and pull all my words back into my mouth, but a larger part of me is okay with what I said, our entire discussion really, all of it. I think whether or not she listened to anything at all I said or gives it another thought doesn't really matter - I feel better. Hahaha - that sounds so selfish. But really, I'm tired of always having to worry about upsetting easy child or difficult child or H and I think that sometimes they need to hear things they don't want to acknowledge. If the counseling has taught me anything, it's that it's okay for me to be angry and hurt and upset and let the people I love know it once in a while. There are times to be quiet and times when you just can't help yourself. And we didn't yell, there was no lecturing, no raised voices. It may have been a HUGE mistake - perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut. I guess we shall see. I won't say anything more. I will print out the serenity prayer (it's actually hanging up in my office) and I will carry it with me, I will post it on the fridge, in my car, on the inside of my eyelids, etc. Thanks for reminding me of that.

DDD

To me the most startling part is her statement that she "won't have to sleep with him". WTH???

Like the others I don't think you can do anything to prevent this change in lifestyle. Sorry. on the other hand, that statement sends a message to me that she does not want to be an adult yet and is looking for an environment where she can be a good little girl and not have to face any decision making at all.
It would be great if she would see a therapist so she can freely explore her motivations and fears. Honestly I think she has emotional/mental health issues that need to be explored away from both families.

Do I think she would agree to go? No. Sad to say.

Most of us probably wanted to withdraw from adulthood at some time to feel free of responsibilities. I'm old as the hills and still miss "being babied" for a few hours at my Mom's house, lol. It was wonderful to have someone prepare a special lunch and let me be carefree. BUT I think your easy child
wants to climb back into preteen life semi permanently and
that...well, that's just flat out scary.

I'm sorry you are going to be a bystander while she tries this retrospective lifestyle. The only good news is that she
isn't eager to start a family...or even face intimacy! DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yeah, DDD, I feel the same way about her statement concerning sleeping apart. How strange is that?

Fortunately, in the past couple of weeks, she has been trying to find a counselor to help he deal with her anxiety (and I was hoping this counselor would be astute enough to realize there are other things going on). She hasn't found one yet but I'm hoping the sooner the better!!!

JJJ, she is most definitely depressed and has been on Cymbalta for about 3 months. It was upped last I heard about a month ago. I'm not sure if it's helping or hurting at this point. I think she would do better on Celexa, as that is what she took when she was at college and it seemed to help her better. But at 22, I have little to no input anymore. I can leave a message with her Dr, but as of this minute, that may be crossing a boundary and I don't want to make matters worse.

She emailed me and after discussing it with my own therapist, I constructed a well thought out (and highly edited) email back to her, explaining that my only concerns are for her. I didn't bash Casper, I didn't berate her or anything like that. Just told her that as her mother and her friend, I felt she needed to hear what those of us on the outside see going on with her...our home is her home, we love her, yadda yadda yadda. Still reciting the Serenity prayer about 5 times a day and it is helping immensely.

donna723

I guess I'm still confused. If Casper owns a home, how is he saving money by living with his parents? The mortgage would have to be paid whether he's living in the house or not, right? And if he really wanted to live with her, why wouldn't they be living together in the house that he owns instead of both of them living separately at his parents house like a couple of boarders? Sounds weird to me!

Your description of his parents marriage sounds exactly like my own parents marriage back in the 1950's. This was back in the days when the men worked and most of the women stayed home and were smililng little apron-wearing housewives who would bring him his pipe and slippers when he walked in the door and had his dinner waiting on the table! I can't even put in to words how nauseating that is to me! My mother used to say all the time how they had never had an argument in all those years ... that's right because she went all that time doing exactly what he wanted, never contradicting and never opening her mouth with a thought of her own! If this works for Caspers parents marriage and they are happy this way, more power to them! But it would be very difficult for others to live with. If they're this conservative and this old fashioned in their thinking, they will be this way about a lot of other things too and it will be constant conflict for your daughter. Their house - their rules. And she needs to remember that Casper has been raised this way, this will be his concept of 'marriage' and how men and women should relate to each other ... HUGE red flags there. If she insists on doing it, the best you can hope for is that she will then be able to chalk it off as a valuable 'learning experience'.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thank you Donna for sharing about your parents. A little history on the parents: She was married prior to having Casper with her current H. I was told by her that her prior H was in a traveling band, an alcoholic and abusive, and they were hippy-ish. They had 3 kids together. From what I have pieced together from her and Casper, she didn't have much time on her own before she hooked up with Casper's dad, got married and within the first year, Casper was born. I have my suspicions that Casper may have been conceived before marriage - not that I even care, but it certainly does make my brain scream "Hypocrits!", Know what I mean?? Anyway, in the early years, Casper's dad was a heavy drinker and had some verbal and physical run-ins with the sons from the prior marriage. When he found God, he stopped drinking and the rest is history.

He and his brother own the home together and they have been renovating it and plan to put it up for sale this Spring sometime, so he should be able to walk away with some money to live on while he's going to school and not have the mortgage, if it sells as they hope.

It is weird.

DammitJanet

Odd situation. But I think our kids specialize in getting themselves into odd situations.

What is that old song? Que sara sara, whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see.