So boss decides today

klmno

that the stuff I was trying to get him to see we had conflicting information on should be verified before making a final determination how to proceed. (Hmmm...isn't that exactly what I was telling him when he started berating me??)

I guess that's the closest thing I'll get to a "Gee thanks for stopping me before I made a bigger **** out of myself by involving others in my rash decision before I had heard all the facts".

klmno

LOL! He hasn't pulled that one on me yet but he has switched to my "idea" before and then acted like it was his all along and he never said any different, when in fact he had directed to do the exact opposite. Others who have worked with him longer say he's done that with them and what you just mentioned, too. He's just never had to take ressponsibility for anything apparently- not his hostile rages, verbal abuse, rash decisions, or anything else. He must be an expert at keeping others thinking it's always someone else's fault. But he's able to do that because he keeps EVERYTHING funneled thru him.

Steely

In all my wisdom acquired from my 2 crazy bosses from hades for the last 2 years, only to just get fired - here is what I would do in hindsight.
Ignore his button pushing in every way possible - ignore every emotional interaction or reaction that you have.
Do your job, and do not think on any other level than operational.
No wisdom, or emotions, or common sense should be applied to your job.
Just do it as he wishes, as if you are a robot, and secretly find a new job.
Hugs

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
he has switched to my "idea" before and then acted like it was his all along and he never said any different, when in fact he had directed to do the exact opposite.

...all the more reason to put everything to him in writing via email and then maintaining a dossier. If it's not possible to start, follow up a conversation with an email to him that summarizes the conversation. Document, document, document!

Suz

Steely

Well, from my experience documentation does nothing. If you are an at Will State for Employment they can fire you just because you are wearing yellow on pink day. I had documented every thing out of my yazoo, and no on cared - if they want you gone - they will make you gone. Just placate the situation until you find better.

donna723

Sometimes documentation does work though. I have two former bosses that tied for "most awful" - one who was a true psycho (a woman) and one who was a cocky little smarta$$ on a power trip (a man) but the man was really the worst. He really DID target me and I still don't have a clue why he did it. And I did document EVERYTHING - every incident, names, dates, exactly what happened, even a few photos, and I went to management with it. I didn't have to exaggerate anything, just told them exactly what happened - and they put a stop to it! Of course my situation was different because I had civil service protection and could have taken it further if I had to, but fortunately I didn't need to.

But, if your boss is that way to everyone, maybe he's not targeting you as much as you think he is. Maybe he's just a lousy boss! Bosses like him that are never reined in and never held accountable for their actions are truely miserable to work for and can make going to work something you dread. If they haven't done anything about his behavior yet, they probably will never do it. Like the others said, just become the little "work robot" while you do everything you possibly can to find another job.

Last edited: