So glad Duckie is a chicken!

tiredmommy

Duckie confided in me today that the kids in her class were talking about "the cinnamon challenge" and "the ice cube challenge" at lunch today. She went pale when one of the girls kept talking about putting the ice cube on a vein. So, I've let her teacher know so maybe she can get to the kids before any of them try these asinine daring games and gets hurt or sick. :hammer:

buddy

the internet I suppose??? good idea to tell someone who can talk to the kids, do you think they will figure out she told??

donna723

I'm not sure what the "ice cube challenge" is but they were talking about the cinnamon thing on "The Doctors" a few days ago. People have choked on the cinnamon before and some have been hospitalized if it's inhaled into the lungs. Just one more boneheaded thing that kids see people doing on TV or on YouTube and decide to try themselves.

tiredmommy

Donna described why the cinnamon challenge is topical right now. You attempt to swallow a tablespoon of dry cinnamon at one time without spitting it out or vomiting. For the ice cube challenge: salt an ice cube and hold it against your skin for several minutes, resulting in freeze burns. Stupid. :hammer:

addie

Hi, TM et al:
What are these games? Since I am still in the difficult child-biz, it might be a good idea to know; also I have several friends with young and so far apparently innocent Grade 9 girls.
Does anything in particular on TV mention these? My girls don't have access to computers, except under supervision at the public library. So this might be more for other parents than for me. Thanks! I will pass it on, as needed.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Onyxx did this ice cube thing, only instead of salting the cube, she would put a pile of salt on her hand, then RUB the ice cube in.

Then it HURT. Duh. So she went to the school nurse for a bandaid. Who called bio. Who called CPS saying I had slammed Onyxx's hand repeatedly in a door. So CPS showed up, took a look, pretty much rolled their eyes and asked us to take Onyxx to the doctor, and send them a copy of the outcome. Bio said we weren't allowed to take her, because WE caused the injury. The doctor himself faxed the report to CPS and called husband to let him know there was no way in hades that was from slamming the kid's hand in a door, and that he had told bio as much and CPS. A couple days later the lady from CPS called to let me know they were closing the case as unfounded.

So yeah, I'm glad Duckie's a chicken, too. As far as the cinnamon - HOW STUPID.

Crikeys. I don't remember these things when I was a kid.

B

Bunny

I didn't what either one of those were. Thanks for passing on the information. And I'm glad that Duckie told you about it.

shellyd67

I have heard about the cinnamon challenge but not the ice cube challenge ... Thanks for the tip !

My Dad (who is a health nut) decided to take a spoonful of cinnamon and lost his breath and began choking. I told him kids were doing this "for fun" and he couldn't believe it.

It is a scary, scary world our kids are growing up in ...

DammitJanet

You do know kids are snorting pixie sticks right? And the choking game. Duckie is at the age when these things start being cool. I was afraid to ask what the ice cube game was because when I was younger it was to insert an ice cube or ice pop up the vagina.

InsaneCdn

Sigh. Kids.
Step... are you quoting my Grandpa?!
He used to say (back when *I* was a kid), that kids now-a-days have way too much leisure time, which just means they get into way too much trouble. He was done school at 12... and working full-time x2... once for neighbors, to earn money to be able to leave home at 18, and the second helping his Dad with their own outfit. (we heard this story HOW many times? And I was really young when he passed away)

And you know, I think he's PARTLY right. Not about being done school at age 12... (difficult child would have liked that...), but about the too-much-leisure-time factor. If kids NEEDED to (it doesn't work when it's manufactured tasks...) split wood, haul water, weed the garden, milk the cows, gather the eggs... just in order for the family to keep things somewhat "together"... then there would be less time and less energy left over for mischief and trouble. But... kids are kids. And there will always be SOME of this stuff, even if the economy gets blasted back to the dirty thirties... I heard all THOSE stories too, and the uncles got into enough trouble back then...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Getting into some trouble is unavoidable. But the things they come up with, year to year...

Janet - I missed that one, TTL!!! OMG how icky. There were always the stories about pop bottles, but - AGH!

My Grandpa didn't have much of a chance to be idle. When he was born (8 of 9), his family lived in a mud hut. No joke. I've seen the stone house they built for the 11 of them - it was about half the size of the house I live in now (which is, counting the basement, right at 2000 square feet - I've had bigger apartments than the stone house).

tiredmommy

I figured out a long time ago that a bored Duckie is trouble waiting to happen. That's why she's in so many activities. It may not prevent her from getting in trouble forever but it will buy us some time for maturity to hopefully kick in.

TerryJ2

Oh, dawg. (Rolling eyes.)
Thanks for the explanation, TL. Hadn't heard of either of those.
And snorting Pixie Stix? Sheesh!