SlipperySlope

Hi, everyone.
Nearing rock bottom dealing with the behaviours of my difficult child. Was directed to this site after difficult child's stepmother found it and had an "AHA" moment. She and I have been reading passages to each other over the phone and e-mailing threads back and forth as we come to realize we are not as alone as we'd thought!
*C* is 11. We are old hat to therapy (PT/Occupational Therapist (OT)/Speech) for the developmental delays, but, honestly thought we had a handle on keeping the guy on a good path. Suddenly, about 6 months ago, it all started unraveling. He's become this person we don't know. Lying, stealing, running away, aggression. It feels like he's dismantling the family.
Since the run-away attempt, we are working with a therapist weekly, have a mentor at school, and have a psychiatrist working on finding a medication that will help with his ADHD and anxiety/mood. However, it's a very slow progress. Frankly, it's wearing me out.
I keep reading your stories and am so thankful to know it's not just us. (Not that I'd wish this on any parent!) Thank you all for being so open and caring and understanding!!

~R

Last edited:

Marguerite

Hi and welcome.

Sometimes it isn't a case of find the right pill and it will go away. medications can only do so much. The underlying problems cause other problems which cause other problems which need a different approach to begin to unravel.

A book we often recommend here is 'The Explosive Child' by Ross Greene. Read it, it will help.

Our kids are a complex mix of their nature and their nurture. Genetics and environment. A kid with problems (such as Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) in any form) will have as part of the environmental overlay, issues directly related to how difficult it is to cope. Frustration is high, their ability to deal with frustration is reduced, and they also can get very angry. They do work actively to improve their ability to cope, but often the coping strategies they develop for themselves are not the best they could be. Also, we often don't see these as coping strategies, but as problems. When we try to remove what we see as a problem behaviour, and the kid sees it as vital to his coping, you will have conflict.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Marg

BusynMember

Hi there. Welcome to the board.

What kind of medications was he given? Who diagnosed him? Does he know how to relate to his same age peers? Do you feel that ADHD is the only thing going on? Sometimes ADHD medications can make kids worse, not better, especially if he was misdiagnosed and maybe has high functioning autism instead OR a mood disorder.

His speech problems are actually a big red flag for autistic spectrum. Has he ever seen a neuropsychologist?

You may want to do a signature like I did below. It will help us help you :)

SlipperySlope

Thanks for the replies, and for the book rec, Marg. I will find it ASAP.

I set up a signature when I completed my profile. Perhaps I did it wrong?

C's diagnosis of ADHD is new. Just since the holidays has he begun treatment for it. The psychiatrist who's treating him now is not completely familiar with his history, and did challenge my reports during our intake. She does not believe that his major problems stemmed from a vaccine injury when he was 15 months old. I was there. I watched him regress from a normally developing infant with a 25 word vocabulary (despite some early sensory issues) to a screeching, hand-flapping, eye-rolling, toe walking autistic kid who simply could not communicate. In the span of about a month this took place. Only after 2 years of early intervention did this seem to correct, and then, only because his Occupational Therapist (OT) found the treatment that flipped a switch for him.

Psychiatrist stated she wonders why he was ever diagnosis'ed with AS. She is reluctant to treat his mood disorder. She wants to try and correct the ADHD first, she says, hoping the mood may improve after that. I feel she needs to be a bit more open, and I wont let her keep pushing me around because she doesn't agree with my anecdotal evidence.

Initially she put C on Straterra 25 mg for a week, then 40 mg--based on his weight. This really was a wonderful time for us. He could focus and having a conversation with him was suddenly a pleasure again. He did seem pretty wiped out by bedtime, but, this seemed ok because he's historically had some problems getting to and staying asleep. Around week 3, about a week after an eye exam, I noticed his pupils were gigantic. We mentioned it at his next appointment and doctor thought the dosage was too much for him and she decreased him to 25 mg. The next month, he might as well have been taking a tylenol for all the affect it had on his ability to control his impulses and slow his roll.

Currently, he's on Concerta 36 mg. I feel it's making him irritable and crabby and more impulsive. He's very easily frustrated and tearful. I know these are potential side effects of the stimulants, but, the doctor led me to believe this was the only way to go, since the Straterra is now not an option.

I guess now I need to decide what to do next. I think the Intuniv (sp?) has a similar mechanism of action as the Straterra. Does anyone have experience with either/both who can make a suggestion?

Sorry if this makes little or no sense....I'm pretty tired from it all.

~R

Last edited:

Marguerite

We had problems with Strattera, although it was worth a try. difficult child 3 got aggressive, angry, difficult and argued in circular logic, not making a lot of sense. It happened in only three days which is before any therapeutic level could have been reached, so we think ti was a reaction.

difficult child 3 takes sustained-release dexamphetamine which works best for him. We did try Concerta instead, and it did help a bit, but there were rebound problems and the dose was too low. We switched back to dex and were happier.

Haven't tried Intuniv. difficult child 3 takes citalopram for anxiety.

While I am not a believer in immunisation as a cause of autism, I do accept that in some cases where there was a predisposing factor (sometimes unknown) something in the immunisation process can do damage. Not just autism, but other problems too. Where there is cause for concern (as in a child who already has a seizure disorder - someone we know) then immunisation should be reconsidered. Which brings its own problems. I had whooping cough 18 months ago, I do not recommend it!
Your son may have developed his condition at the same time as the immunisation but it may be a coincidence of timing. Or there may be a real link - but whichever it is, the problem is there and you can't un-ring a bell. If you suspect immunisation to be a factor, then much as I am a champion of immunisation I do think you are wise to challenge every request for immunisation of any kind in the future. I would talk to a pediatric immunologist about this, because there could be other health implications and they may be able to assist you.

Some autism cases do develop spontaneously after 18-24 months of normal development. Those can often be the more worrying, more serious cases. If you have managed to turn your son's condition around when he is one of those later onset cases, you have done a brilliant job.

This new psychiatric doesn't sound like she's got your back. She sounds like she's got her own pet theories and isn't interested in learning from past reports. But managing autism is all about taking account of the individual's history especially where they have come from and how far. You should always give credit for the amount of progress an individual has made, so you can identify where they are likely to continue to improve, or need help.

it is possible to have ADHD as well as autism in some form. We have a family full of them.

Marg

ready2run

i would seriously question what any doctor who is willing to ignore so many previous symptoms has to say. Autism doesn't just go away, although it can seem to suddenly appear out of nowhere, as i have witnessed in two of my children. the coping strategies they use can change but therapy can help them eliminate some of the problems but it doesn't go away. i would seek out a different psychiatrist. i know my original family doctor told me she didn't beleive in autism and my daughter was accentric and she also told me babies couldn't be lactose intolerant when my daughter was born when she clearly was but the doctor would rather have kept her on tube feedings because of her own beleifs... i would not go back to her for advice. i am also not a real beleiver in the immunisation theory but to each their own. my 4yo has recently started regressing, having meltdowns and flapping his hands as well as having sensory issues with taste and smell. it is difficult to watch when there is nothing i can do stop it. right now i just keep hoping it will stop getting worse. my daughter has also gone through several periods of regression where she seems to backslide and lose skills she used to have while at the same time picking up more behaviours.....it seems to be every couple years or so.
anyways, there are alot of medications out there, not just 2. the options are practically limitless. we have our 5yo on risperidone which helped alot with the sleeping and the aggression although he still has alot of problems any progress is better than none.
sorry i don't have any real answers. i have similar issues in my family and i wish i had a solution. it feels like our family is being ripped apart here too. it's good that you have some support and people trying to help you solve this.

SlipperySlope

I'm glad that despite your misgivings about the source of our problems, we can all at least to agree to disagree about the autism/immunization connection. I should clarify that I do not think the immunizations are solely responsible. I think some kids are born with a predisposed sensitivity to certain substances (i.e. heavy metals like mercury/Thimerisol). If/when they have an exposure, it can cause damage to the CNS. That's my theory, and the longer I'm alive and the more auto-immune problems I recognize in myself (weird allergies/rashes/degenerative changes), the more I also think there is a strong genetic component.

C has an appointment with psychiatrist next week to talk about this last month on Concerta. He will run out of pills by the weekend, and I'm kind of thankful. I don't like what it's doing to him and I won't let her write for it again. The only reason I have him continue taking it is so that I can know for myself that I did what I was supposed to and didn't get the desired result. I want to try and shift focus with her from ADHD to mood and anxiety. But, fundamentally, I think she and I are way separate in our ideas about C's problems and treatment. I don't know how to make her understand me without seeming like a drug-seeking loon. But, if after this appointment I don't feel like she is going to be more open to other treatments, I will find out how to switch boy to the other doctor in the practice (who treats my easy child for depression and seems like a wonderful doctor and person).

Also of note, C's therapist is working on getting him into a psychologist to update his testing and see where he falls on the spectrum now that he's older. I'm interested in knowing and think the results may also help doctor make better informed treatment decisions. We just don't seem to have a lot of psychologists in this area who are qualified/able to do the testing (according to therapist), so, no telling how long it will be in waiting.

Thanks, again, everyone for listening and responding. It means a lot!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hello--

Welcome to our group!

You say the problems began escalating about 6 months ago...does that coincide with the start of the new school year?

Sometimes, a child who is a bit "slower" - perhaps Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or Learning Disability of some kind - does well in school up until they reach 5th, 6th, 7th grade when the expectations are suddenly much higher and children are expected to be more responsible for their own note-taking and organization (such as jotting down homework assignments and bringing all needed supplies home to complete the work). At that point - it appears that the child is "suddenly" out of control....when the reality is, their daily struggles have just been easier to hide until this point. Now, they are struggling and acting-out due to their frustration with the whole classroom system.

It might be wise to look into whether there are any issues affecting his learning abilities. If you can find and help create solutions for the underlying problems, you may see less acting-out.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I strongly suggest a full neuropsychologist evaluation. I think there's more going on than AS, or ADHD, or anything else.

The Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is something that is very much a part of the autism spectrum, from what I've learned.

As for the Concerta - Jett had a similar reaction. Super hyper focused (though he can do this when he wishes, without medications) - and he went from normal kid to absolute BRAT. But be careful, if you stop him cold turkey on the Concerta. It can be ugly.

in my opinion, if you think the Concerta's a problem - you're probably right. These docs don't live with him, and only see him occasionally.

Also, DaisyFace is right about the struggles becoming obvious. Jett always had problems with reading, and as dyslexia runs in the family, no one was shocked - until he started to regress. When I met him, at age 5, he was about 4 developmentally. Now at 12 1/2, he's around 7-8. The older he gets, the wider the gap. And it worries me, but the neuropsychologist thinks it's PTSD and ADHD, with some NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) - the psychiatrist thinks it's PTSD and his biomom infantilizing him - I'm not so sure - but as he absolutely adores the psychiatrist, and we are trying to get him to open up about abuse without the "I don't know" and "I don't remember" protecting BM - we cannot change doctors.

If your doctor isn't willing to be somewhat open minded, you may have to switch. And it may have to be to another practice...

HUGS!!!

SlipperySlope

Thank you both for the thoughtful replies.

I can certainly appreciate the timing of this change in C coinciding with lots of changes. However, I would classify him as brilliant academically. Though he's a classic underachiever who thinks if he shows he's capable of performing a task once, anyone asking him for a repeat performance is just being ridiculous. His reading ability is post high school. His memory is near photogenic. So, Learning Disability (LD)'s have never been considered.

This would probably be a good time for me to ask C's step mother to join this discussion. Besides being involved in this struggle since C was 2, she's a middle school teacher. At his school, no less. Her input about his education will be way more insightful.

Who makes the neuropsychologist referral (therapist? psychiatrist? pediatrician?)? We have a child evaluation center here in town. It's where we went for help when C was tiny. They diagnosis'ed his Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and were unable to definitively answer his then PT/Occupational Therapist (OT)/speech therapists questions about his regression. Personally, I found them to be inept. Getting insurance to cover it probably won't be easy or enjoyable.

Thanks again for being helpful!

Marguerite

A couple of things.

First, the medications. If they're making a difference in a good way, you stick with them. If they're not, you don't. Temple Grandin calls it the Wow! factor - if you try something (medications, therapy, behavioural approach) and notice "Wow! What a fabulous improvement!" then of course you fight to keep it. But if it's more "meh - I spent money on THIS?" then there really is no point keeping on with it. So if that's the story with the Concerta for your son, then I don't think the doctor will fight you. Unless the doctor thinks the dose is not high enough. But even then, if it was going to help, there still should have been some improvement even on a lower dose. If you and the doctor can't agree then I think you'r making a wise decision to try someone else.

Now to immunisation - you mentioned your own history of what sounds to me to be an oversensitive immune system. Yes, it runs in families. The problem in these situations generally is not the preservative, but the immunisation itself - anything that stimulates an already oversensitive immune system can trigger unexpected effects which, once triggered, continue on their chaotic way. it is rare, but it happens.

I mentioned a case of a kid we know who had a seizure disorder at birth but doctors still immunised the baby. The fitting became a lot worse and now the kid has a diagnosis of autism. The mother is very anti immunisations and especially insistent that thiomersal (or thimerosal, whichever it is called in whatever country) is the cause. I had investigated this already in Australia by calling the authorities and found that in Australia, we have not had mercury additives in our vaccinations since long before our kids were born. But when I told her this, she dragged me into the library of the disabilities group and showed me a book which listed the vaccinations that still contain thiomersal. It contradicted everything I had independently found out. Then I checked the book - she had written it herself. But she was using a book she had written, to verify an argument she was making!
I don't know if additives were responsible for your son's problems or even if the immunisation was a cause or even a contributing factor. But if YOU have a sensitive immune system, be aware that the purpose of immunisation is to stimulate the individual's immune system to develop new antibodies in order to give protection for the individual, as if they had already had that disease. Perhaps because some immunisations are increasingly easy (such as the oral Sabin for polio) we tend to think about them as no big deal. But they do have an affect on the body. In most cases it is a beneficial effect. But not always.

I am pro-immunisation, but I myself have an oversensitive immune system and had one immunisation too many, with resultant catastrophic effects. In my case it was the immunisation itself, not any additive. It was my immune response (an atom bomb trying to crack a walnut) that set off damage to my nervous system. Later on I still had my kids immunised (with heart in my mouth!) and thankfully there were no problems. But I definitely do accept that sometimes problems happen, because every body is different. I am my own example.

One point I really want to emphasise - even if it was the immunisation that did this to your son, even if it was the thiomersal component and its mercury that did it (and there isn't any way to know) then the problem is most unlikely to be mercury now. There are fortunes being made by people selling chelation procedures (which are often more dangerous than the stuff they're trying to clean up). And if the damage has already been done by what would have been at the time a microscopic amount of mercury, the body will almost certainly have already dealt with it. I've used the example before - if you slip on an icy path and break your leg, clearing away the ice won't fix your leg. You have to let the leg heal anyway.

So if you are still concerned about the possibility of mercury or other heavy metals still being an issue, PLEASE go carefully! There are more sharks out there than genuine practitioners. The sharks are more dangerous in their treatments, they care a lot less and they are very, very persuasive. In fact, they have to rely so much on their persuasion that it can often be your warning - any doctor trying to use emotional blackmail on you ("don't you WANT your child to be well?") is likely to be shonky.

There are good doctors out there who will advise on this, but I personally feel, from what you say, that it is not currently an issue for your son (unless he spends his time playing in an area contaminated with heavy metals). I said I had researched this - I researched it here in Australia, so my advice is specific to here and not about what is in your market, in your area. But the same shonks are everywhere and they prey on people like you and me. been there done that!

I believe immunisations are, on the whole, a good thing. But sometimes they are the wrong thing for one particular person. And when that happens, we have to deal with the result. We can't go back and un-ring the bell.

Oh, and I have seriously thought about it with us - since in Australia the first immunisations are at 2 months old, how can I know that it wasn't immunisations that did this to my youngest? It's because when I look back, I can see the signs of autism in him from his first few days. We came home from the hospital at 6 days, and I found out VERY fast that he would settle like magic, when we were out among the trees, especially towards the end of the day. Or the beginning. He liked it when I put the tree between us and the sun (as you would, especially with an Aussie summer sun!). But he would turn and look at the tree - at the flicker of light in the trees. And he kept doing it, for years. probably still does. he has never flapped his hands - he never has needed to. The flicker of light in the trees has the same effect on his brain, it soothes. And he did it long before his first shots.

So even though he has inherited a wonky immune system like mine (he also has allergies), I do not believe, in his case, it is the cause of his autism.

That does not mean it is not an issue for others. But it is multifactorial, as you have said.

My worry for you and yours is similar to my worry for me and mine - we live in a world which is increasingly challenging for immune systems like ours, and increasingly, our bodies let us don in various ways. I don't know if your son's autism was caused by the shot or not. And really, you can't be sure either. BUT - we know we are vulnerable, you and I. And our kids. So we have to proceed carefully from here.

As parents we do the best we can do for our kids, and we can never get it perfect. We have to forgive ourselves when that happens. It's Life, really.

I'm glad you're on board with us. I just felt I needed to clarify what I said before, and give you a bit more info on where I personally am coming from. I do not require everybody else to agree with me. The world would be a dull place if that were so!

Marg

SlipperySlope

Golly, Marg! Reading your last post gave me the chills! So many similarities, even half the world away.

The things that really struck a chord for me: noticing differences in our newborns. Where yours was attracted to the visual stimulation, mine couldn't bear to be touched. C was a tiny boy (5 pounds 6 ounces) at birth, and despite some pregnancy complications (abrupted placenta with some bleeding for the last 10 days), a VBAC and some jaundice, he still went home with me within 48 hours. Having already raised up the most cuddly and affectionate girl for 5 years, I was shocked when C would physically stiffen and push against me when I tried to rock/soothe him. He didn't cry much at all. He just preferred to put himself to sleep and began "woobying" a satin blanket corner as soon as he had any hand control. As a brand new boy he had Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). He detested light touch. Had I had a weighted blanket back then, he'd probably have *loved* it!!

I appreciate the chelation warnings. I have been a nurse for 20 years, and the job I held the longest and loved the most was working for a pediatric group of 7 physicians and 2 nurse practitioners. While I worked there, I saw countless moms of autistic kids who would come to the office to talk to our docs about pursuing the treatments. Only once did I ever see a chelation ordered, and it was because a kiddo had a terribly high lead level from ingesting paint chips from the house they lived in. Even then, it was something the doctor was very wary of doing. I have never even given it (chelation) a consideration for C. As you stated, the damage is done. A lot of the damage has been compensated for though, thankfully. And until this past year, he didn't require medications or therapy to get along in daily life.

We had our "Wow! factor" on Straterra. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist has ruled it out for now--perhaps to be revisited when the boy grows/puts on some weight and can handle the 40mg dosage? I'm crossing my fingers to have another such moment in the near future. I hate feeling like my parenting is so inequitable...like most of my time is spent trying to reason with him and his circular logic and failure to take any responsibility for his terrible decisions. The SO/easy child's need me, too. And I used to have interests outside these walls!!

Still thankful I found you all who "get it".

Marguerite

Why has the psychiatrist ruled out Strattera? We've fond some doctors (specialists) want to take difficult child 3 off stimulants, because the autism also brings Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and anxiety. There is a belief that stimulants aggravate anxiety. However, it is my observation that a large component of the anxiety comes form the child feeling they're not coping. And if the medications help them cope...

We had problems with Strattera with difficult child 3. Never going there again. Anti-Wow factor! But for us, it's dexamphetamine that is the Wow. difficult child 3 was struggling with language, had a handful of nouns in his vocabulary only. We started him on dex about the same time that easy child was off on a (well-deserved, I had just spent three weeks in hospital) young carers camp for a week. She came back after a week and said, "OMG, he's talking in sentences!" That was 1997, difficult child 3 was 3 and a half.

You've got nursing experience, so you understand scientific principles. That is so important when you are trying to get help for your children. Again - snap. I've not worked as a nurse, but I have done some medical training in my science degree. In fact, that's how come I needed that immunisation... it was work-related.

It's funny about kids being different about cuddles. easy child was a non-cuddler. I had been so desperate for a baby, I wanted a little angel to rock, to mother, to love. And I got a whirling dervish who wanted to explore the world and who found my arms confining. She would only consent to be held while being breastfed. When difficult child 1 was born (very cuddly, despite the Asperger's which was only diagnosed when he was 15) easy child saw the baby loving to be held (and I was in 7th heaven!) and decided that perhaps she was missing out on something. She tried cuddles for a little while but they cramped her style!
Then easy child 2/difficult child 2 - another Aspie, we now believe. And cuddly. Very. Ridiculously so. She would reach and hug at the worst possible times, not caring if I was in the middle of trying to chop onions or get scones out of the oven. it is the extreme of it and inappropriateness of it that is the hallmark.

We taught difficult child 3 to hug and cuddle by asking for them. he will hug and cuddle on his terms. A hug from him, spontaneously, is gold. These kids need to be taught how to express and demonstrate the emotions they do feel. People often assume autistics don't feel emotion. That is so wrong - they often feel emotion more strongly, but don't always express it in ways others can recognise.

Another warning for you - I note you have a BiPolar (BP) diagnosis. First, some docs get this confused with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) in some form because kids with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) also get very depressed at times. Often elated at other times especially when doing something they love. So first - you could be 'missed' Aspie yourself. And second - your kids are more at risk, if your BiPolar (BP) is correct, of also having problems with mood disorders. Autistic kids find life a lot more challenging and stressful, so will be more prone to mood swings naturally. If there is a tendency to have BiPolar (BP), tis can be aggravated.

I possibly have some Aspie traits. I know my husband does. I had a lousy time as a kid and I know there were times when I was very inappropriate socially. It might have been lack of experience, or simply my inborn inability. i did learn. But I also was very unhappy a lot of the time, very depressed. I have had periods of serious depression in the past. I have learned to cope, I adapted without medications. I cannot tolerate antidepressants, they either knock me out or send me loopy. It's taken a lot of angst but I get by emotionally without problems these days. Being a pragmatic person helps, I am sure. But getting there was a long journey for me, and will be so for any kids on the spectrum.

I'm glad to meet you, even if only over the electronic network.

I could be off the air for a couple of weeks, though (won't know for a few days) so if I don't respond after tomorrow, I will be back in April.

Marg

SlipperySlope

The psychiatrist took C off 40 mg of Straterra, put him on 25 mg because his pupils were gigantic and he was sleepy in the afternoon. She said that the dosage was too much for him, even though we had really good results from the medication as far as behaviour. His teacher said he had gotten better at staying seated/staying on tasks/getting work completed. As I said in one post....you could actually have a conversation with him that wasn't a battle of him trying to outwit you. And, though he still had some odd reactions to situations, he was identifying those reactions himself--something he has never done before this. He just seemed like what I imagine any other 11 year old boy to be like. When she decreased him to 25 mg, it was terrible month. All his mouthy, irritable, aggressive, defiant behaviours were back. That's when she said she didn't think we'd see improvement until he was on a stimulant. Wrong answer. I'm wondering if 25 mg Straterra with a mood stabilizer might be a better option.

I never thought of myself as an Aspie. I just assumed I couldn't get through to people because I'm left-handed and my mind works so differently than most of the population. If given a problem to work out--I can get the answer same as most. I just get there thru a really convoluted route. I know I'm a little odd and eccentric and that knowledge has led to some isolation that in turn probably fed the depression. I never agreed with the BiPolar (BP) diagnosis because I don't have anything nearing mania. My trials of anti-depressants have not been good experiences. My one short stint on Lamictal ended abruptly because I got the rash on a very low dose. I just learned to deal with it as best I can. Nothing can motivate you to get out of bed and function like having people who depend on you. Most days, knowing I have to be mommy is the ONLY thing that gets me going.

I read somewhere that you're going on holiday. I hope it's a lovely and relaxing time! Spring begins here on Saturday, and the temperatures are to reach 70 today. That does more for my mood than any pill can!

Marguerite

We're leaving in about half an hour. That will be 9 am Sydney time, it gives us a chance to miss the worst of the peak hour traffic because we have to drive right through the heart of the city to get back out again. it takes two hours or more, at the best of times, to drive across Sydney. When we get to the beginning of the Newcastle freeway, we will be FREE!

Regarding Asperger's in females - it does express differently. And simply living with some Aspie traits especially as things were when we were kids, is enough to make any kid depressed and anxious. A bad mix.
I'd be wondering about the enlarged pupils - maybe it was just a dark room? If his eyes are pale, they are more likely to react faster to changes in light levels. I'd be getting a second opinion - if you find something that works, you put up with the problems, unless the problems really are worse than the "cure" (or management, in this case).

Another tip - we learned to involve the child in his own treatment/management. Give them some ownership, because it also makes them pay attention either to what they observe in themselves, or what they observe in other people's responses to themselves (if, like my two middle kids, they can't tell any difference in themselves when unmedicated, it's just everyone else who becomes really difficult!).

Hopefully I'll talk to you again in two days. Otherwise - a bit over two weeks.

Hooroo!

Marg