So, how was your thanksgiving????

Jena

hi everyone,

Got home a few hours ago from my parents house yes with-difficult child, easy child, and boyfriend. Eating out for holiday was def different, I will soo miss my leftovers. difficult child had a very bad day before we left, yet by the time we got there she faired well in the restaraunt. Didn't really eat much, but still did ok there. My parents were happy, their older and so that was good. I was glad to make them happy, yet to be honest I don't think I'll be doing "dinner out" for thanksgiving again. :)

How was everyone else's day today? What did you do? How were your kids?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Weird... glad it's over!!! Girl's actually did pretty good! We will see the affects most likely tomorrow. That is usually what happens.
K was jumping on our bed, which she is not supposed to do. (She is getting to tall)
Well I guess she *fell* and hit her head. She said she fell 2 times and landed on her neck. I don't know if this means she bounced and hit twice?
She gets upset if you question her too much.
So she was complaining about her neck hurting, I asked if she wanted me to rub it. Yes. I just randomly said were you jumping on the bed?
She told me kind of what happened.
I thought she was OK, she said it felt better.
So an hour before dinner she came out, they were watching TV. She is fully tilted, one shoulder up higher! Neck all tweaked... she is in a spasm.
I layed her down, put her on ice and gave her motrin.

Of course we can't back out of dinner.

She seems a bit better I tried my best to keep her calm... I got to be the jerk! Like usual... But she is a bit more even. husband rubbed her neck and I gave her more motrin before bed.

Poor little thing.
Hope everyone else had a great day/night!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry she hurt herself, toto. You got to be the jerk? I don't understand that, but I hope she feels better soon.

Glad you had a nice dinner Jen. I had a peaceful day. Stitched for most of it. It was nice and quiet - even the cats were quiet, and THAT is a rarity, LOL!

Jena

Hi Susie i'm glad you had a peaceful day!
Ok thats it, no one else is sharing??? LOL

Are you all out shopping??? :)

M

ML

I hope you took away some good things from the day. I'd throw a turkey in the oven; they're so cheap and easy and sandwhices are my favorite part of TG.

I kept praying and mediating on all the things I am grateful for. When a sad thought would come (like missing stuff about the past) I felt it and released it and went right back to looking at how blessed I truly am.

Love,

ML

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We got a late-Wed call from the ex-in-laws inviting us to dinner. Honestly, if it were anyone else, I would have declined because I was looking forward to a quiet day at home, but we so enjoy these people, so we went and had a lovely time.

Took the buggy, spent the afternoon, visited, truly enjoyed it all.

totoro

Susie! I got to be the jerk because of course no one else (in-laws) thought she was hurting... so I had to try and keep her calm.
She is in pain but you know some of our kids, they can keep going! She is so stiff and can barely turn her head but is still jumping around and was jumping on Papa and in his face.
Normally I would have just thrown in the towel, but this was a medical reason. She doesn't realize she is hurting herself worse.

Desserts were good and we have lots left!!!

house of cards

We had a memorable Thanksgiving. The meal went well, then I got to enjoy sitting back and watching the antics of my "adultish" kids. My 3 oldest are all male, the testatrone was heavy in the air. They arm wrestled, they did headstands and then they did real wrestling. The end count, my 16 yo is now stronger then my 21 yo, but not as strong as my 24 yo. My wall has a dent and my 21 yo has a bruised rib. Very important information to know, right??

The younger crew was threatened with banishment if they were bad and they behaved pretty well overall. Of course I spent alot of time trying to lower the energy level and S was acting quite silly at times, but silly isn't that big of a deal. A good day.

donna723

We had a really nice day, just my son and I. He's very big on the food-oriented holidays. He's already made sure there'd be a ham at Christmas. He doesn't have a computer at home so he finally got to see the picture my daughter sent of her and her 'baby bump' and he got to hear the other email she sent with a recording of the baby's heartbeat. Then she called (from South Carolina) and they talked to each other for a long time.

I ended up with a 14 pound turkey for just TWO of us! All the turkeys the store had were about the same size or even bigger so I have tons of leftovers. He spent the night here and when he left this morning he took a huge plate of food home to his roommate, and it still hardly made a dent. I'll be eating turkey for the next month!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We had a nice day, just H, easy child and me. I only made the small turkey breast - so no major left overs, just enough to keep H happy. I think we may be having it tonight. I have TONS of stuffing leftover, which I will gladly eat up. easy child went to her boyfriend's for dessert and H passed out around 8PM so I had a nice quiet evening alone watching old crud on tv and reading. It was nice and I was happy for the reprieve. I made a pumpkin pie instead of a sweet potato and it came out great.

easy child went to LI today to see her dad and his family and pick up difficult child. They will come home tonight sometime so I just finished cleaning up a bit and now I'm going to pour myself a nice glass of red wine and chill till H comes home.

DDD

I thought it might be a disaster because I had no time to prep before Wed. evening. Yeah........I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

We had an absolutely lovely stressfree day. There were only eight of us
so it was manageable. Best of all there was alot of bonding and laughter
PLUS for the first time in my lifetime the live Christmas tree was put up and decorated Thursday night.

I honestly feel Thankful this holiday. :D DDD

Jena

Hi!!

I'm glad to hear everyone had a great day yesterday. Tortoro - i'm sorry to hear that she got hurt that way, yet i can totally understand what you were saying to Susie. I hope she feels better.

ML - your soo good!! the way you navigated through thoughts of the past, and released. Good for you, and yes we are actually cooking a turkey this weekend, i miss miss my leftovers!! I had to eat pizza last night at eleven LOL i was so hungry.

Shari - ex-in laws? Your soo good i could probably totally learn from you in regards to that stuff. I'm glad you had a good day, sounds like it was totally worth the trip.

House of cards - ok i was weak laughing reading what you wrote about the dented wall and the bruised ribs!! Yes that is important holiday info to share indeed. LOL hope the ribs heal and the wall gets plastered before the next holiday :) too funny. glad you enjoyed your day.

Donna - that sounds soo cool just you and your son, and then getting to see the picture and him getting to hear the babies heart beat. it's amazing what they can do these days, isn't it?? 14 lb. turkey means some serious leftovers!! I'm coming !!! LOL glad your day went so well.

Jo - THat sounds like a nice, calm day. I love pumpkin pie and especially red wine. I'm actually drinking some right now. LI, as in long island? Weather was nice today, right?? Glad it was a good day for you guys!! :)

DDD - Tree up already? i'm so impressed! No time to prep and you pulled off dinner for 8?? That's really cool. I'm glad you had such a good day!

ok everyone else is out shopping and fighting the lines now i'm betting lol.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm a bit late coming into this but was tired when we got home Thursday, had to work Friday and then went to the movies afterward.

husband, difficult child and I just went to my dad and step-mom's for Tday. It was good. Just us, them, the 3 sibs and 2 neighbors so nothing major. I brought rolls so I didn't have to cook before hand but I always wind up helping step-mom. The last couple of years myself and the 20 year old sis would do the dishes and make step-mom sit down. This year that sis is pg and wasn't feeling that well so I roped the 14 year old into it. THAT was entertaining! LOL There are two sets of dishes for holiday meals.....the grown ups get the good china and the kid's table gets the everyday stuff. The everyday stuff goes in the dishwasher along with anything else we can shove in there. Everything else gets washed and dried by hand. It is so obvious that S (the 14 year old) doesn't do many chores. She had no clue where stuff went, had never even noticed some of the glass ware before and was generally just a hoot to do dishes with. She also needs to work on her use of the sink sprayer....you can't just grab it and go. You need to position it where you will be spraying and THEN hit the lever. Otherwise.....well........I got a bit wet. She also had no idea how to run the dishwasher so we had fun watching her get the correct soap (see? it says right there in BIIIIIIIIG letters....DISH WASHER DE TER GENT!!!) and figure out where it went.

For once, difficult child didn't bug and bug and bug to spend the night which was a very pleasant change. Thinking back, I probably should have thought about it though as after I got off work Friday, S, our brother and I were going to see Twilight. He kind of wanted to go too but after seeing it, I know he wouldn't have liked it. Besides....it was nice just being the three of us. I don't get to do that much stuff with them and we had fun. (Cause you know....they are 14 and almost 18 and I'm OLLLLLLLLLLLLLD LOL)

TerryJ2

Thanks for the thread, Jennifer.
I feel like I'm right there with-you all. :)

Totoro, sorry about K. I jumped on the bed during an overnight once, and hit my head on the ceiling light and it shattered all over the bed. That definitely taught me that I was too tall for jumping on beds!

We had one friend over for dinner. The other friend canceled. I made a 16-lb turkey. Foolishly, I decided to strip the old paper in the DR and repaint, 2 days b4 Thanksgiving, and between that and making all the food, and not eating all day (I had whipped cream for lunch) and then having champagne and eating way too much at dinner, I ended up with-a horrid migraine and stomache ache. So friend and easy child and husband did the dishes, and difficult child sat at the computer and then watched football, and I stayed on the couch.

It was actually a good meal, though. :) I successfully made 3 pies, 2 of which had rice crusts that I made from scratch. I finally figured out how to make them, after several other attempts. Everyone liked the mixed berry pie the best. difficult child ate the rest of it by himself!

I'm hoping to get a bread machine for Christmas, one that has a setting for rice flour.

totoro

Well I am glad we are all still here and at least typing!
Sounds like most of you had a decent day... lots of food.
Terry you should post the rice crust recipe if it is easy and works!!!

You know I was thinking about it and the girls had a nice day and that is all that matters in the long run.
K did not learn her lesson jumping on the bed the next day her neck is still stiff, despite what the family *friend* said. They are of the ilk that do not believe in Mental Illness.

Oh well... We still have desserts!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So far..........

I'm in the middle of it. :rofl:

And it hasn't been the greatest. Not difficult child problems. Just typical holiday problems. I'm taking a break cuz I'm waiting on sister in law to bring me a pie pan and husband to bring me evaporated milk for the pumpkin pies. :mad: Which of course should already be in the oven. I had to put bricks on the electric roaster pan yet again this year because the darn turkey is to large. However I've now been able to remove one as it's cooked. :faint: Can't start any of the other food until the darn pies are done. Well......sister in law just showed up with the pan. Wonder how frimping long it will take husband to get back.

On the upside.........Nichole has not only helped with the cleaning.....she's done a vast majority of it and done it up to Mom standards without having to be asked. :D (seems her tutor is coming over tomorrow to study and she wants to impress him. :rofl: )

I'll let you know how it goes.

Andy

We had a great Thanksgiving weekend. Wed pm husband and sister in law went to a Gopher game, difficult child and brother in law went to the Timberwolves game. I went shopping!!!! :) easy child and K arrived 10:05 pm.

On Thursday, difficult child went swimming with brother in law. He is learning how to swim and swam the distance of the pool. husband, K, and I went to a service nearby. After lunch, the kids and I went to the movies. I couldn't find the length of the movies so we drove together. easy child and K went to the "4 Christmases" and difficult child and I went to "Australia". Ours was 3 hours and the girls' was less than 2 hrs so they called for a ride back to sister in law's.

On Friday am, we all went to the Splendors of the Vatican exhibit at the MN Historical Society. Then we split. sister in law took husband and difficult child to get a new key for easy child's car and brother in law took the girls and me back to his place. The girls and I then left to go shopping. We arrived back at their place at 10:05 pm (just in time to have to use the long way enterance!).

This morning, K and I went shopping and arrived back at noon. easy child, K, and I then headed to my sister's home to visit a few minutes. We then stopped at Albertville Outlet to go shopping on our way home.

Just North of Sauke Center (15 miles from Alexandria), easy child noticed I was going 60 mph and asked me to go faster (speed limit is 70 mph). I told her I did not like the look of the freeway which seems to be icing up. Within 5 minutes, I was in a long line of vehicles going 30 mph due to black ice. It did look like a sand truck had gone not too long ago. There was a boat off its trailer on the side of the road plus lots of other vehicles in the ditch.

I had easy child call a friend near where we live but we could not get road conditions for all the way home. K needed to be back by 8:00 to get her dog out of the kennel. I debated stopping in Alexandria to spend the night. I figured 10 - 15 miles of ice was enough to drive on. Fortunatly, the ice cleared off at Alexandria and we were back in the traveling safe mode. It was amazing that we didn't loose much time!

I hope the weather holds out for husband and difficult child's travel home tomorrow.

Jena

Mustang - sounds like you had a good day, 3 is a good number. the part about spelling out the dish washing detergent too too funny. sounds like my easy child! Old at 38, are you kidding?? get outta here!! I'm 39 this spring. we are young :)

Daisy i'm glad to hear Nichole was so helpful and with-o you asking. that's always cool :) hope it all went well.

andy - sounds busy and good. really busy wow!! glad you had a good holiday.

jo - you were in my neck of the woods.