So husband and I went to dinner.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Monday nights we do that usually with easy child in tow. Tonight she says why don't you and dad just go out. Ok. So husband and I are in the middle of dinner when his phone rings. It was easy child telling us that the hospital in the town that difficult child 1 lives in called and needs us to call back right away. She also followed up with difficult child 1 probably did something stupid again. (Ah the wisdom of 17 year old pcs) About that time my phone buzzed indicating I had missed a call.

Sure enough the hospital was calling to get our permission to admit difficult child 2. I called and let them know that it was ok. The nurse indicated that she was wanting to kill herself etc.

I had walked away from the table to a quiet spot by the doors. I sighed and went back. husband looked up from his plate and asked what was up. I told him to just continue dinner. Well I started talking about thanksgiving (tried to convince him we should go to Ohio to help out someone with Thanksgiving dinner). My phone rings again. I looked and it was the person in charge of the place difficult child 1 lives.

I got on the phone and she started telling me all about what was going on. I shoved my plate away knowing that there was no way to get the enjoyment of the meal back.

Evidentally this is all husband and I's fault (uh huh isn't it always). We don't care because of the restrictions etc that we put on her. Haven't heard that before (yeah right). Pretty much the same song and dance that we have heard for years. I just listened and then when I got done. husband was still eating (why should we both have to lose our appetites).

He asked me a silly question and I told him I was getting up to walk the store (we were having dinner at that grocery store that has a buffet).

I found my way to the new improved whine and spirits department. We bought several bottles of wine tonight (I don't do that very often). Then we went to Wal-Mart and bought some wine glasses (as up til now I was just using whatever glass was available but I needed something special tonight).

So now I am sitting here with my glass of wine and a warm glow. Since we are virtually doing nothing for Thanksgiving I told him I want the phones shut off that day. Otherwise who knows what will happen and then we will get a call about it.

Irony of the situation is I bought the wine and guess what husband bought. Some cheese. I didn't even think of it til we were home and I was putting it away. I just started to giggle. Good thing no one was in the kitchen with me or they would have taken my wine away before I got a chance to drink any.

Thanks for listening.

beth

everywoman

Beth, sorry dinner was interuppted. Next time turn the phones off until you both finish eating. It's not like the problems want be there when you are finished and at least you would both be able to enjoy your meal. Detach---detach---detach!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry. I hope that someday your difficult child can get a handle on the REAL facts of life (such as you only bother with restrictions because you care) and can move past the "blame the parents" nonsense.

I am glad you got your wine and nice new glasses. You DESERVE something special.

And husband's cheese, well that was probably a much needed giggle.

PRayers for safety of all your kids.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hmmmm... better try breakfast out next time!

HUGS! I'm sorry for the drama. I hope everyone's o.k.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Beth, I'm giggling here ~ you & husband bought "whine" & chesse! I bet you two finish each other's sentences too.

You have the perfect idea for Thanksgiving. Turn off the phones, make Chinese, have sherbet for dessert & play scrabble. Or read, nap, whatever.

Wine & cheese! :cheers:

(PS: I'm sorry to hear of all the acting up of your difficult children. I hate holidays & difficult children ~ the two just don't mix well.)

Abbey

Spork Queen
I vote for phones off during those times. It's kind of scary how dependent you get on them. I don't have a landline so my cell is my connection with others. But, I'm a very polite cell person. I never use it in a business or when I'm with others. I just TURN IT OFF.

It's nice to hear that you and husband do this weekly thing. So important.

Sorry about difficult child. been there done that.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

So sorry your dinner was ruined. I giggled over the "whine and cheese", too. I'm glad no one took your wine away. :wine:

I vote for a trip to Ohio. ;)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What is it about difficult children and the holidays?? Does their psyche pick up on the frenetic energy or something?

Sorry your meal was ruined, but it sounds like you and H found a way to salvage your evening. Good for you.

I also vote for phones off and quiet time, relaxation, etc. Enjoy the day.

klmno

I'm sorry- to think you and husband can't even have a couple of hours to relax without any difficult child drama. I think unplugging the phone on Thanksgiving is a wonderful idea. I hope you have plenty of wine and cheese and other goodies ready for the two of you to enjoy while the phones are unplugged!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Another vote for "leave a msg, we might call back".

Glad you bought the glasses. Sometimes, wine straight from the bottle is acceptable in the land of difficult child's (even still in the bag...), but ya need the appropriate gear for it the rest of the time.

Really, you do.