so, i finally decide to medicate and........

Jena

the pharmacy closed early today, was closed when i went to pick up medications after a challenging day with difficult child!!

Kinda funny, huh....??? NOT!! :)

She was needy, and nasty, and nervous.......all the N's today! thrown in a little cute and you have my difficult child today!!

I tried to teach her tennis today. Well, that was fun up until she tried to break the racket out of pure frustration that in one lesson she couldn't grasp the game......

Flip side;good: she finally got over fear yesterday and rode a horse at the town halloween fair yesterday :)

Bad: She called me annoying in the middle of department store today while we were trying to pick up stuff for her hannah montana costume we are making for halloween. :(

Flip side; good: We baked cookies last night and watched "Helen Keller", she was amazed at how this little girl with whom had such obstacles to say the least overcame them to go ahead and learn language and also graduate from college. My older daughter sort of shrugged when she saw that and said wow and I dont' even do my hw.

Bad: She started about two fights (arguments) with older daughter last night for truly no apparent reason.

Anyway so i'll be medicating tomorrow night. I don't like to start medication week because I usually like to keep her home for first few days to see how medication's react and how she tolerates them.

Should I keep her home during week a few days??? She's had seroquel before, yet that was almost two years ago. Her body has certainly grown, hormones are kicking in so i'm not sure how she'll tolerate it now.

Any thoughts??? :)

Andy

How comfortable are you with the teachers at the school? Do you feel that they are in this with you? With my difficult child, I can talk to the teachers before school starts. I will tell them, "difficult child started or stopped this medication. Please keep an eye on him today and the next few days and call me if he is having problems getting through the day. I will check with you after school to see how his day went. I will need to know anything out of the ordinary no matter how small."

I don't have experience with this medication so if others have different input, they know more than I. If you take her out of school, you may be putting too much attention onto the medication and your difficult child may become nervous waiting for something bad to happen. Then she may not want to take it giving you a non-compliant medication taker.

Are you able to hang around the school to be close if needed? Or make sure you are reachable all day. Ask the school nurse to call you with updates mid morning and mid afternoon.

Good luck on this decision.

Jena

Andy

Hi........I agree totally with you in regards to not putting the "focus" on her and the reaction of medication. Yet I find with seroquel the first few days can leave her very dizzy and lightheaded and extremely exhausted, very similar to abilify experience the first few days until it works itself into her system and brain.

If i start it tomorrow night, tuesday will be off and wednesday. By Friday we should be good.....keeping my fingers crossed i'm making the correct choice for her. Than therapy starts also, so everything at one time a hit.

TerryJ2

I agree, you have to know that the teachers will watch her and contact you if need be. If you are good with-the teachers, it should be okay.

LOL about the Helen Keller movie. A great movie for our g'sfg to watch!

I think it should be Annie's story at least as much. She is the one who did all the work. That family had a stroke of genius by hiring her.

Jena

Terry

I know it truly is her story as well. She was amazed by the movie, I said to her cover your ears and your close your eyes. That was her world.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sorry the pharmacy was closed. I do agree about letting the teachers know about the medications. We always let difficult child's teachers know when he is starting new medications. I hope you see some positive results.

Jena

I know I always alert the teacher and the nurse and give them a list of side effects to watch for, even an index card for the teacher and her desk. I know I go over the top, yet she has alot of kids in class so I want her to be able to have them handy.

Problem is my relationship with the teacher and the school isnt' what it was last year, before I requested the iep for difficult child. So, I dont' have any verbal feedback right now for the most part.

Last thing I want to do is make her think that something bad will happen, than her anxiety will increase.

We'll see........

Whipped

This sounds very trying. I have often had to keep my kids home during a medication change. That why nowadays I try and plan ahead and schedule a change when they will be out of school over a break or the summer..if possible. If not then atleast try and start on a weekend.
I have mixed feelings about letting the kids teachers know about medication changes. I guess it all depends on the teacher. I think in my case..most of the teachers are pretty nice and caring individuals...but there are a select few that I don't bother to keep updated about anything. I guess that a personal call.
I use the following site quite often when considering a medication change.. https://online.epocrates.com/ ...it's a good way to get a second opinion on medications and their side effects.
Anyway, good luck with the child.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I don't think that is over the top at all-I think the note for the teacher is a good thing. I've never had anyone do that and think it is a good thing.