So I splurged...just once...a thread about your upcoming Mothers Day

BusynMember

Usually when Jumper and I go to visit Princess and BB we stay at a Super 8, which I really find cozy. But this time I decided to upgrade and we'll be staying at the Holiday Inn. No, it's not the Ritz, but we'll have a nice room and amnesties and a real breakfast the next morning before taking off to see the other girls. It is truly going to be a Girl's Mothers Day. These are all the girls in my family...me, Jumper, Princess and BB. How much better can it get?

We'll be home Sunday in time to barbecue with hubby and Sonic.

What's up with you for mother's day? Will it be happy? Sad? In between? Do you think about your own mother, alive or deceased on mother's day? I send her a prayer because I believe she has evolved since passing over, but Mother's Day is really not about her.

So...what's going on?

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
As you know I have only the one Difficult Child and doubt that I will hear from him. I'm ok with it, have had many years to get used to it.

I do miss my mom dearly. This June marks 17 years of her passing. She was wonderful and I cherish my memories of her.

Hubby and I will pick up his mother and drive into Chicago to spend the day at his sisters. It will be a nice day.

I hope you have a wonderful day with your girls.
:mothers_day:

Lil

I don't really have plans. I doubt that my son will remember it's Mother's day, unless he happens to see it on Facebook. Since Sundays were Game of Thrones night, and Jabber has now vetoed those, I doubt I'll even see him. I have to admit, that makes me sad. Last year I refused to go to church. I don't remember exactly what he'd done...but I couldn't fact the whole Mother's day thing.

Really, I may do that again.

KTMom91

Hubby has to work, so I will probably have lunch with my mom. Don't know when we'll get together with Hubby's mom. Miss KT told me what my present was - LOL - a Pusheen key chain I wanted.

SuZir

I guess we will do the usual. Both boys will be home, I expect getting breakfast to bed, then we have brunch with extended family (by the way, mother in law has not yet come up with her usual Mother's Day drama. I'm not sure if I should be worried. Though she of course still has time.) and hubby and boys have likely came up with something for us to do as a family for the afternoon.

Hubby has always been good with Mother's Day and other special days and makes sure boys are too. Can't complain at all.

My own mother wasn't big for Mother's Day (she found it reactionary and commercial bs) so as a kid I celebrated Mother's Day mostly if I was with grands at the time. My mom would take cards I made at school etc. but with caustic remarks while my granny made a big deal about it so till I met my hubby and had my own kids I was rather ambivalent about the day. And still I do bit agree with my mom, but still enjoy the whole thing, so I guess I'm still bit ambivalent about it.

We will be visiting on graveyard and taking windflowers to the graves of them and hubby's granny and they will be on my mind

Last edited:

Scent of Cedar *

D H and I are at the lake, now. Mother's Day will be just the two of us, here where so many things, good and bad, have happened.

We are still a family ~ I mean, with the kids and grands. Somehow, we have been able to pull through it. We talked to son and his family last night. Daughter, her family, one grand who is living independently now all planning to visit this summer. So maybe Mother's Day for me will be that sort of resting place between...not growth spurts so much, as that time between two things. I feel the desperate of the past few years slipping into the underlying currents that make up my life, now. I've started writing again; I can feel the change in my head.

It has to do with our attention and intent.

I was thinking about that this morning, after reading the thread on co-dependency. Thinking about my sister, and my mother, and realizing I had best shape up around these issues, let them take on their own identities without so much input from me.

I feel laughter coming back, and expansiveness and joy ~ like really quiet, pretty much steady state joy. The "joy underlying all things", maybe.

Remember when we were writing about that?

Cedar

Lil

Hubby has always been good with Mother's Day and other special days and makes sure boys are too. Can't complain at all

I didn't know other countries did Mother's Day, at least not on the same we do. I thought it was a made-up American holiday...which shows how much I know about Mother's Day. :)

You know, for years, until I was a mother myself, I took flowers to my mother's grave on Mother's Day. I never missed. I once drove 50 miles in a hailstorm and broke my windshield. It's been a long time since I did that. Maybe I should do that this weekend? According to the weather forecast, I might even get the hailstorm.

Californiablonde

I miss the days when my kids were younger and would make me sweet gifts for Mother's Day. Now I don't even get acknowledged. Not a card, a happy Mother's Day...nothing. And no they don't forget what day it is. We always take my mom out to lunch for Mother's Day so my kids are well aware of the holiday. They just don't care. I've been told things will change once they get older...sigh.

This year will be the usual. After church on Sunday we will be taking my mom out to her Mother's Day lunch at her favorite diner down by the beach. I will be giving her a Mother's Day card too. My mom used to get me small gifts or cards as well for Mother's Day when my kids were younger, but she hasn't gotten me anything in several years. It will still be a nice day with the family and I will enjoy it.

Lil

CB, looks like you hit that point today where your post didn't want to go thru! Happened to me when I was PM'ing Jabber.

Well, I guess this weekend I will go to church. I'll be talking to the property manager about the kid doing his community service there. And maybe Jabber and I will take the kid out to lunch or dinner.

It's something.

cubsgirl

Hmmmm.....well since I'm the black sheep of my FOO and haven't spoken to my mother in 20 years I will not be doing anything with her.

I am going to call my grandma (my mother's mother - my mom also does not talk to her) since she is like a surrogate mother.

I have to work most of the evening - so maybe brunch with husband and DC2 in the morning. I don't expect any gifts though sometimes husband does surprise me with unexpected thoughtfulness.

Confused

Have fun Somewhere! Yes, I miss my mom and both my grandmas who are deceased :( I do have my Aunt tho, I will give her a call on Mothers Day for sure.

For me, I just would like to sit in front of the TV watching movies all day, playing games with my kids and dad. With no issues at all. Yes, I can dream!

Happy Mothers Day to you all!! Many hugs!!!

pasajes4

I will take my mother out tonight and give her a new " fangled" phone ( her word). I will celebrate with all of my kids and grands on Sunday. My mother will hang out with her friends at their ranch.

Scent of Cedar *

You know, for years, until I was a mother myself, I took flowers to my mother's grave on Mother's Day. I never missed. I once drove 50 miles in a hailstorm and broke my windshield. It's been a long time since I did that. Maybe I should do that this weekend? According to the weather forecast, I might even get the hailstorm.

This will be a good year for that, Lil. Your mom won't mind at all if you don't do it right on Mother's Day. It is good to touch base with our younger, more innocent selves.

Cedar

Copabanana

You know, for years, until I was a mother myself, I took flowers to my mother's grave on Mother's Day. I never missed. I once drove 50 miles in a hailstorm and broke my windshield.

Oh, Lil. I love what you wrote. I miss my Mother so much. The good and the bad. I was never the sort of daughter who sent cards. I thought they were fake and commercial. I thought that the relationship had to stand or fall on it's own. How arrogant, self-righteous, unforgiving and hard I was. I cannot forgive myself.

My son NEVER remembers but like you, I am used to it. Perhaps we will go and find him and take me out for mother's day.

PatriotsGirl

We are at the campground close to the rehab. husband left to get the boy, then we'll be picking up longhorns for lunch and bringing it to M for us to eat there with her. We have gifts to exchange. :) Tomorrow we will pack up camp and head home for some time in the pool until I have to drive out to pick up Connor. It may be the best mother's day I have had!

Copabanana

My son NEVER remembers but like you, I am used to it. Perhaps we will go and find him and take me out for mother's day.
Guess what? My son just called me to wish me happy mother's day!!! And when I said "thank you very much for calling," he replied 'Thank you."

I thought that the relationship *with my Mother had to stand or fall on it's own and seldom sent cards. How arrogant, self-righteous, unforgiving and hard I was. I cannot forgive myself.
Would it not be really, really something...if my son decides he can love me? I mean love me like he used to...the way I was unable to love my Mother when she was alive...?

I know I am supposed to forget my own wants and needs vis a vis my son...but wouldn't it be great to be loved?

Do you all feel sorry for me...that I am so pathetic?

Happy, happy Mother's Day everybody.

Last edited:

Lil

Oh Copa...I'm so sorry. Those "I'll never be good enough" moments are the ones that tear my heart out. I will never understand where it comes from. When my son does that he just sounds so lost. It's all I can do to not just beg him to come home and let me fix it. I can't, of course. There's no fixing him. He has to do it himself.

PatriotsGirl

Mine did turn out wonderful!! I made daughter cry with the note I wrote in her card and she made me cry with the note she wrote me. :) she gave me my first bible with a lovely note written in it saying how proud she was that I was her mom. Best gift in the world!! She also have me a pair of my favorite scented candles to light while I read my bible.
I gave her a heart shaped necklace with mother and child crystals inside. She loved it!
She got to spend the weekend with Connor but I had to pick him up Sunday at 5. Tears. :( but he will go back on Friday for the weekend again and I pray it's not long before they are reunited for good...