So much for success.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They called.

He refused to read and slapped the aid. Expect me to swoop in and pick him up. I would refuse, but I see it doing absolutely no good.

So incredibly sick of this.

JJJ

Any chance you can move to my district? or any other district???

I'm so sorry they can't handle him.

DammitJanet

Is he in the Special Education room now permanently? With the 1:1 aide?

Ok, has the FBA been done and a BIP done? We know reading is a trigger but we also know reading needs to be learned. Obviously this method isnt working. Or they need to start from scratch with it. Build up more success for him.

I also think you cant keep going to get him. This is going to backfire badly.

tiredmommy

Did they ask you to pick him up?

Call another meeting, Shari. This is now SEVEN months into the school year and Wee keeps falling farther and farther behind. They can't educate him if he's not in school and their lack of initiative (I suspect) has led Wee to think that striking out is the fastest way to go home for the day. He needs an alternative placement.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He has a BIP and an FBA has been done.

I would have handled the morning entirely different, but they aren't me and I'm not them. However, I would put a $100 bill on the fact that my method would keep him there and get the work done, even if it did look like he was "getting away with something".

Beyond that, the kid is severely dyslexic and has little working memory. The 22 page report for the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) says he needs to be taught in a specifc fashion, and site words are worthless...and what were they going to do? Site words on flash cards.

And I totally beleive, even if his thought process is not a conscious one at this point, that he is learning "I act out, I go home" and we now have a habit on top of a maladaptive behavior.

A meeting has been scheduled for the Wed after spring break. This is bull.

nvts

Shari! I swear to all that is right and holy, I'm ready to swoop down and kick them in the ass-bergers!!! :mad:

This needs to stop - they're doing damage that's going to take forever to fix!

Ugh! Hugs to you - I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns - I agree that this is bull and that they're scheduling a meeting for after the spring break.

Personally? I'd call them and tell them that it's an unacceptable timeframe. If there are going to be changes to how they're going to handle him, you need to have the spring break to work it through Wee's head how things are going to change.

I'm sooooo mad!

Beth

LittleDudesMom

Emergency Meeting, NOW. Not a week from now, two weeks from now, or three weeks from now. Tomorrow. That's what an emergency meeting is all about and this is what is needed.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I don't believe that every time your son has resorted to violence his BIP is not being followed. I'm afraid your son is learning a negative, but powerful, lesson here. He needs a change in placement fast and in a hurry.

Whether his escalation into physical violence is due to his BIP not being followed, his frustration that they are trying to get him to do what is unable to do, his inability to monitor his reactions, makes no never mind. They are not able to give him the support or the education that he needs and deserves. If this goes on much longer a very, very serious consequence could take place. Your son could learn (and is actually being taught now by your own admission) that violence gets him the goal he wants or a staff member at the school is going to file charges. He is absolutely, positively, unequivocally not getting what he needs and what he is guaranteed by law.

Place the call. Emergency meeting. Change of placement. Period.

My two cents.

DammitJanet

Agree with Sharon. He is 7. He is going to learn now that all he has to do is throw a fit and go home. This is so not what you want him to learn at this age. Bad enough when they learn it at 15.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Janet and Sharon, I have been SCREAMING that to them for a year now. They need to stop allowing that to "work" NOW, while he is small and the physical aspect is relatively minor.

When he gets another couple of years on him, he will be able to hurt someone, and they have spent the past year teaching him that throwing a fit gets him out of a pickle. Consciously or not, that's the message he has been sent.

And judging from the SpEd's email today, that's exactly what happened today. This is twice, now, that I beleive he has "used" that tool.

tiredmommy

Write up a letter to the Special Education teacher about the incident, state that you feel they are training your son to do this by sending him home repeatedly. Request it be added to his file. CC: the principal, district's top Special Education person and superintendent of schools. You may want to list how many times each month he has been sent home. Request an emergency IEP meeting for no later than next Monday 3/22. Then send the letters CERTIFIED mail.

DammitJanet

Oh that was the exact message they sent Cory at that age too and it didnt stick in his brain until he got older but it was in there just brewing around. Finally around 10 or so it started to trickle out but around 13...it really came out.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Ugh-I'm sorry. I do agree about the emergency meeting be a good idea. I'm amazed at what your sd gets away with. Gentle hugs.

LittleDudesMom

"Janet and Sharon, I have been SCREAMING that to them for a year now. They need to stop allowing that to "work" NOW, while he is small and the physical aspect is relatively minor."

No disrespect intended, but if you have been screaming for a year, that is clearly not working. That is why we have been urging you for months to demand a change of placement in accordance with the law.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I've been trying. Every meeting resulted in changes, but none that did any good...I tried to call the manifestation before the magic 10 days, but they refused to act on it.

We got the change in placement this last time, or at least as good as it was going to get this go-round. They can't legally put him anywhere else without trying the self-contained first. Problem now is, we/they waited too ____ long.

I have called a meeting but spring break is going to hit before the magic 10 days...so first of April might be as good as it gets. Letter sent to SpEd...by rights, if I understand it, they can't send him home anymore for these behaviors unless someone is really at risk of being hurt...

Will see what the response is tomorrow. Advocate tried to close the case again because we got "change of placement", but thankfully I talked her out of it, tho I'm not sure if she's really going to be much help or not...