So Scared ...

shellyd67

I have never in my life been so scared of what lies ahead.

I am having gallbladder surgery on Thursday morning and as simple of a procedure everyone says it is, I am just plain freaked out.

I DO NOT like general anesthesia and in light of all my health issues, I am just full of anxiety and can think of nothing else but dying.

I had my preadmission testing yesterday and my EKG reading came back abnormal. The Nurse Practioner said it is nothing to worry about. REALLY? I am getting bad news everywhere I turn !

My easy child has some health issues as well (posted in another thread)

I am just overwhelmed to the max !

PLEASE keep me in your thoughts and prayers, I have never needed it more.

Thanks, Shelly

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
(((hugs)))

Several years ago I was going into surgery to have scar tissue blocking my ureter removed. Now I'd had that procedure done dozens of times before. It's outpatient and done with a scope, there is no incision to worry about. But the anxiety over that one particular surgery was through the roof. New doctor, new hospital, an array of difficult child problems, and quite a few life problems on top of being sick and in pain just seemed to catapult my anxiety level over this particular procedure. I knew there was no reason for it. I normally didn't mind having the procedure done. I even do well with general anesthesia, I wake up almost immediately and want to eat, no nausea ect. (locals are a different ball of wax)

Seems because I had so much to stress me in other areas of life that somehow it all got focused on this one fairly simple procedure. I didn't really realize this until AFTER. I go to the hospital anxious as all get out. doctor is LATE......like really late. The anxiety just keeps building. Suddenly I decided I wasn't having the procedure, I was going home. I threw my leg over the metal rail of the gurney......and suddenly there was the doctor. I told him I was going home. He injected something into my IV and said that it would change my mind. Next thing I knew I woke up in recovery wanting breakfast in a bad way. lol

Gallbladder surgery is a pretty mild surgery from what it used to be, not that it used to be a huge deal. I had the old type, got a 4 inch scar to prove it and it didn't so much as ache after surgery. Nichole had the newer procedure for it. Other than a bleeding issue, she did fine. Although I'm trying to figure out how 4 holes around her belly button is better than my 4 inch scar. hmm

Anxiety before surgery is normal. Just most people won't admit it.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Try to focus on how much better you'll feel once it's done and over and you've healed.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Shelley,

You know what? I think what Hound said "anxiety before surgery is norma. Most people won't admit it." is the absolute truth. Yet here you are telling your friends - HEY! LOOK IT! I'm scared. I need someone to be a little worried with me! I was trying to remember back to all the people I've known (self included) about having surgeries and I don't remember anyone readily admitting that they were scared - so I think you are ahead of the game really.

This Hound is smart - she says think about and focus on how much better you're going to feel once it's over and you've healed. VERY GOOD ADVICE. Never really thought about it that way - but what a great bit of logic huh? (going to write that down in my memory actually) And repeat it to you - THINK ABOUT how much better you are going to feel once it's done and over and you've healed. BEcause that's what is going to happen here. You have lots of us keeping you in our good thoughts, and praying for you - so go in, get this over, get rid of the anxiety - and the rotten bladder or gal bladder - and come out happy as a clam. Although If biology class serves me correctly clams don't have gal bladders - probably why they're happy like they are in the first place.

Hugs & Love
Star

P

PatriotsGirl

I have been put under several times and still get nervous each time - perfectly normal. I had my gallbladder out, too. You will be fine but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, too! :)

Mattsmom277

Hang in there, it will be done and over with before you know it right? I had my gallbladder out at the same time as gastric bypass surgery. You know I didn't get nerves at all until 4 hours AFTER my surgery was to start and I was still waiting prepped in the OR right ON the table the whole time for him to show up. Yet I had a cervical laser procedure and biopsy done and was scared witless (not even of the results, it was the procedure that had me freaking right out). One was major surgery, tons of risks, required incisions. The other was fast, non invasive, little time to recover etc. Yet I was freaking about the simpler procedure. I guess sometimes we handle things better than others and this time round you're nervous. Have you considered asking for something from the surgeon that you could take the morning of?

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

Jody

Shelly, everything will be fine. It will be here and be over before you know it. Hang in there!!!! I have always had a fear of people looking at me when I had surgery and me not being able to hear what they were saying and keep them from talking and laughing at my extra poundage. Well after having a colonoscopy you know longer worry. Ugh, we will be thinking of you tomorrow!!!!!

busywend

Sending good thoughts & positive vibes your way! I know how terrifiying surgery can be.

You will be OK. Just make sure you are getting some good receovery care from your family!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sweetheart, I know how scary it can be.

Here's the thing. I had my tonsils out at age 14. I've had at least 4 dental surgeries that required general anaethesia, plus a D&C a couple weeks ago.

Now... General anaesthesia doesn't normally bother me. But this last one? I had a mild anxiety attack while waiting. And the day before. I knew what to expect (though I did expect a LOT more pain...) I've had not only the anaesthesia but also a D&C. So I knew what to expect. And of course it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

But still... I think the anxiety was worse than the recovery...

:hugs:

K

Kjs

Thinking of you. Just want you to know I had my gall bladder out 5 years ago. It was immediate relief. The pain and pressure was gone immediately. I felt so good compared to pre surgery. Three little holes. No cuts.

Try not to stress too much. They monitor you very close. If there was any worries they would not preform the surgery.

DDD

Shelley, I am sending supportive thoughts, hugs and prayers your way. I'm sorry you are frightened.
DDD

Lothlorien

Will keep you in my thoughts. It isa pretty simple procedure now. You will be fine. Try tp do some things to get your mind off it. Go do something for yourself.

TerryJ2

Oh, Shelley, I am so sorry you are so stressed out. I have been that way for a cpl of my surgeries, too. Now that's I've been under anesthesia so many times, I'm not that worried.
In regard to the nurse saying that your EKG was normal, they look for really unusual things ... like a flat line followed by a spike. Yours was probably abnormal from your stress level, which is, in fact, normal. If that makes sense.
A good dr should come out and say hello while you're on the gurney, and ask if you are stressed out. He will ask why, and when you tell him, he can either keep you awake into the operating room (what's it called? Arena?) or he can give you something to calm you down b4 they start anything else. Maybe just talking to him (or her) will be good enough.
Please, please don't stress out about it too much. It will only make your gallbladder worse. Really.
Many hugs.

DammitJanet

Hugs... I have always stressed over surgery because I was terrified of having the tube thingy put down my throat, not so much the anesthesia or the actual surgery, I had a huge fear of waking up with a tube down my throat. Ha!

So what happens to me? I end up having the meningitis, not having surgery and ended up waking up with a tube down my throat...lol. Funny the curves life throws at you. Now Im not so much afraid of surgery though...lol.

Steely

I have had many surgeries and they all went smooth...............so not to worry. The worst part has been waking up freezing to death - but as step2 put in another post they now have these amazing warm blankets they put on you. The last surgery I had and they put these on me, I nestled right back to sleep refusing to move:)
All will be OK - it really will. Do you have someone who will take you and pick you up?
Fortunately we live in a medical generation where almost anything can be taken care - and you will wake up and feel 100 times better. For now try and not think about the surgery - and distract your mind the minute it starts to perseverate on the procedure.

Hugs!!!!

shellyd67

Thank you everyone. You don't know how much your kind words and support mean to me.

They moved my arrival time from 9am to 7am so that will help a little with me having to wait around.

I think with all the curve balls we have been dealt this month are causing me stress and anxiety too.

I will update you as soon as possible. Shelly

As soon as you get there, ask them to give you something for the anxiety. They may not be able to until they get your IV started. Once they do that, you'll feel better. (((HUGS))