so scary

Jena

i got the newsday today and boy they are really taking it and running with it. someone posted about it the other day i couldn't find the post to add to it. So, here we go again.

Are they looking to totally freak ppl out at this point?? So, winds up some guy in holbrook which is 2 miles from where i live has the swine flu. Yet hello swine flu so far has been nothing more than a regular flu. greatful at that. yet at what point will they stop alerting the masses like we're all in doomsday event???

hmmm

Lothlorien

You can't escape it. It's on every 24 hour news channel ad nauseum. A guy that husband works with is home with the flu...it's not a confirmed case of Swine and it doubtfully is, but the entire office is in an uproar.

Jena

it's crazy. i just don't know who to blame sometimes the media, the government? our new guys' getting hit with-alot of junk right way that's for sure.

difficult child is in an uproar too about it, we got notices home yesterday. i mean, being vigilant is great and i def have kids washing hands more, not that they were filthy before lol, yet i'm being more careful. yet this is just getting crazy now.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Several schools up here in CT have closed (some are nearby our home) because a couple of students and one worker were in Mexico for Spring break and became ill when they got home. No confirmations if anyone at all has the flu. There are 6 suspected cases.

No confirmed cases? Closing schools?

All we have to do is be sensible. Wash hands, stay hydrated, stay away from heavy crowds.

We are fortunate that we live in a country where there is medical treatment readily available.

A woman I work with is freaking out and everyday gives me full blown reports on what she has heard on the radio. Ugh, I just want to tell her to shut up.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
OK--

Here's comes the conspiracy theorist in me:

What is happening that the government needs us all too distracted to notice? Clearly, the Swine Flu is not worthy of this level of panic....and yet the "pandemic" has now taken the attention off of every other issue.

Be alert!

--DaisyF

eekysign

I think the media's just bored. No missing pretty white girls, no big developments on the front(s!), no weather disasters.

I mean, what would they report on if this wasn't happening? Happy stories?! God forbid!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
OK--Here's comes the conspiracy theorist in me:What is happening that the government needs us all too distracted to notice? Clearly, the Swine Flu is not worthy of this level of panic....and yet the "pandemic" has now taken the attention off of every other issue. Be alert! --DaisyF

I agree! Eeky, there is a 17 year old girl who was lost on some island during her Spring break, isn't there? Was she found?

TerryJ2

Jena, good point.
The media is bored.
Medical doctors are getting tired of it, especially the media deliberately confusing "pandemic" with-death. NOT.
Just turn off the TV and make sure you and your kids wash your hands.
Aside from sneezing, the best way to spread germs is ... um, not doorknobs, that's too easy ... I think it's steering wheels or credit cards or telephones. I can't remember. I'm just taking extra echinacia. :)

muttmeister

I think this is a phenomenon we have seen a lot of since the advent of the 24 hour a day news channels. They have to report on SOMETHING; if nothing big is happening, they have to make a big story out of a little one. That's one reason why I stopped watching them. They can drive you crazy.

I suspect in a month this will have fizzled out and we will all be wondering what people were so upset about. difficult child#1 called me last night; he has the flu. I suggested that maybe it is swine flu. His reaction: So what? I'll get over that just like I get over anything else. Yup, he's definitely my kid!

Jena

so very true!! easy child told me how the kids in school are making up picture's of swans and thinking about making t shirts. oh sheesh figures new york kids looking to capitolize lol.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I saw a story today stating that "maybe" it's not as bad as we've been saying. You think?

A county over from me closed their (shared) middle school and high school at noon Thursday and cancelled school for today (Friday). Why? Because ONE student had flu like SYMPTOMS. They sanitized the entire school over this. I can appreciate being cautious but we're talking ONE kid who in all probability doesn't even have anything more serious than a stomach bug. It's just ridiculous.