So very tired of all the koi, having trouble functioning...

greenrene

Thank you guys! Just the commiseration is so uplifting!

About sister in law - that's a hard line to draw because we are a very, very close family. Very involved in each other's lives, our kids all go to the same school (except difficult child, which is yet another way I'm sure she feels "different," but there's no way she could attend the school that the others do with her issues). She really is a fantastic person, she loves difficult child very much and wants so much to help make things better, but I'm coming to realize that this particular aspect of our relationship is actually making me feel worse. She and I are very close, BFF-close, so very much alike in some ways and SOOOOO very different in others...

I'm going to have to figure this out for my own sake, because these guilt feelings are coming up to the surface again after I've tried so hard to get past them. There was a point a few years ago where I told myself that I HAD to forgive myself for whatever mistakes I've made with difficult child, that I did the best I could with what I had to work with at the time, and her issues are NOT MY FAULT. I was eating myself alive with guilt, and that was not doing anyone any good. It doesn't help that difficult child really does blame me for everything. She thinks that if her dad had never met me, her life would be just dandy. I shudder to think of what her life would have been like if she'd continued living with biomom. by the way, biomom lost custody of her other child, a little boy who is now about 6 years old. She told her caseworker that she had tried to drown him and couldn't handle being a mom anymore. The state took custody, and last I heard he was being adopted.

So yeah, difficult child, life would have been SO much better living with your piece-of-work mom, who literally was whoring herself out at the bus station and caught VD, who has never held a job longer than a few months, who doesn't have a place of her own to live, who can't even take care of herself much less a child, who has no skills, no education, no real life. Sure.

TerryJ2

Greenrene, with-our g'sfg, they react the way TTs reaction, but times 100. So if she's mad at you, it means she HATES you.
If you expect her to explode, and treat it like it's kind of normal, it will help your state of mind.
A friend of mine used the expression, "Dogs bark," to compare to my difficult child. What do dogs do? They bark. It's to be expected. What do difficult children do? They explode, they blame.
Every now and then, when difficult child is particularly awful, I'll mumble to myself, "Dogs bark." He'll say "What?"
"Never mind."
;)

InsaneCdn

Terry! Where's that doggone <LIKE> button!!!

Got it.
Now to teach K2 that mindset... instead of escalating, she just needs to remember... "dogs bark". Right.

greenrene

UGH, you guys should have HEARD the convo between difficult child and husband last night. Total finger-pointing (at me), outright lies, blame (again, on me)... absolutely ZERO ownership of her own poor choices, ZERO respect for me as an authority figure, etc, etc... husband did pretty well backing me up and redirecting, but holy moly.

Unless and until this child realizes that her choices are what make her life, we are spinning our wheels.

In the meantime, I'm going to try the "shutting her out" routine. She never acknowledges anything good or nice that I do for her anyway, so why bother?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
In the meantime, I'm going to try the "shutting her out" routine. She never acknowledges anything good or nice that I do for her anyway, so why bother?

The key to "shutting her out" is not to be mean or cruel about it....just matter-of-fact. And make sure that YOU are doing sun stuff for YOU! Go shopping. Go to lunch with a girlfriend. Have fun! Demonstrate for difficult child that YOU are a person - not just her personal doormat.

Good luck!