So we went....

EmJay

He was busting at the seams by the time we got out the door for the party. Tapping on everything and crawling out of his skin. We had "The Talk" on the way to the house about what our expectations where. And he agreed he would be on his best behavior.

When we got to the party there were alot of people there and I think he was on sensory overload. He clung to my side. He eventually recognized a few people and went to greet family members. M was also the oldest kid there (which happens ALOT on this side of the family). He was left to play with 2 and 3 year olds and baby toys.

I was actually pretty impressed with the way he handled himself. Although he did get a bit of a temper a time or two when he was asked to do something he didn't completely meltdown. He was upset about his 10 year old cousin not being there so one of the aunts ended up playing cards with him to pass the time.

He didn't want to leave at all and did drag his heals while we were moving towards the door. We praised him when we got home for being such a great kid (minus the Temper; but we will take what we can get most days).

My head is spinning from the old lady perfume and baby was on complete sensory overload and refused to leave my side the entire time (I'm ok with that; but family can't help but make comments about how he is a Momma's boy!).

Now we are battling the "I wanna go play with my friends" "No it's about to rain and it's getting dark"...

EmJay

Ooh, we did catch him outside alone at one point. Which I can't blame him for but he had been told to ask his Dad to go with him and ended up sneaking out the door.

buddy

ROFL, old lady perfume....haha that is so typical family party.

I am very proud of difficult child! Sounds like he held it together as much as he could and that is a wonderful day.

yipee

EmJay

ROFL, old lady perfume....haha that is so typical family party.

I am very proud of difficult child! Sounds like he held it together as much as he could and that is a wonderful day.

yipee

Yes, I must say it was a successful trip. He was getting on edge once we got home so after I posted this thread I put Baby down for a nap and went outside. I asked him if he wanted to throw the baseball and he got all excited.
So for the last 30 minutes we've been playing catch. Our neighbor even commented on how we are brave for playing in the dark. But I pointed out the the street light shines right where we were playing.... So it worked out well! :irock:

B

Bunny

I LOVE to hear when a difficult child does well in social situations like this one.

buddy

Playing catch? that is awesome! I doubt many people off this board could appreciate how special moments like that are.

EmJay

Yes... I've actually taken a lot from this board just in the last week! I read a story about someone who had a son that melted down and they went outside to play catch to cool off and talk.
So when he started to melt down on me about not being able to go play outside with his friends a light went off in my head... GO PLAY CATCH!
He even wanted to bring a book with him on the ride over to the party and husband kept telling him "NO, don't worry about it"... and I remembered reading somewhere on here about a boy who needed a comfort object to go in the car for a ride somewhere. So I grabbed husband's hand and said "let him bring it. he'll forget about it once we get there".

This place has been great for me! I LOVE IT! Thank you ALL... there's no where else in the world that I can go where everyone has an IDEA what I go through on a daily basis!!!!!