So What Are You Reading???????

DDD

Yeah, we know Barbara is reading America Alone...lol. :smile:

My husband and I are reading The Innocent Man by John Grisham. I think it is his first non-fiction book. We are looking for a new
book by Angela Davis that has to do with prosecutorial misconduct
but haven't found it yet. I picked up a Taylor Caldwell a few weeks ago and it was a pleasant read but not unlike most of hers.

The Grisham book can lead to teary eyes for those of us with kids
who get absorbed by "the system".

Anyone else want to share?? DDD

F

flutterbee

I'm reading book 2 in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon called Dragonfly in Amber. It's historical romance and there are 7 books in the series. I actually started the series several years ago, but then left off and had to start over to refresh my memory.

DammitJanet

Im reading....The Board!!!!

LOL.

I seriously need to go get a book but I am having a hard time with my attention span due to medications right now.

DDD

Hmmmmmmmmm.......I guess the Board would count. Our lives are
like an open book! (Of course, the names are changed to protect
the innocent AND the guilty!) :smile:

Yeppers, the Board counts! LOL DDD

mstang67chic

Going Green
Right now I'm reading one in a series by Laura Lippman that features a female PI. Recently read Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovitch, Dark Lover by JR Ward (the first of a paranormal romance series), a couple of books by Linda Howard, the third book in a YA series by MaryJanice Davidson and there are a few that come out in the next month or two that I'm waiting on.

LOL I'm a voracious reader so if anyone needs any ideas, just let me know. :reading:

G

guest3

"Get out of that Pit" by Beth Moore

although I am hoping to find a fiction piece to dive into vs self help books

mum2JK&TH

Lothlorien - I really enjoyed those books, anxiously awaiting the next book. The movie did not do Eragon justice at all.

Just finished the last Harry Potter book and it took me awhile to get over the fact that there wouldn't be anymore, lol!

I definately need a life, haha! And a good book to read.

mstang67chic

Going Green
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ianav72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Get out of that Pit" by Beth Moore

although I am hoping to find a fiction piece to dive into vs self help books </div></div>

What kind of fiction do you like?

Wiped Out

Staff member
This summer I read the new Harry Potter book, all 13 of the Stephanie Plum books (thanks to a thread on the board about how good they were),His Bright Light (also suggested by someone here), and True Measure of a Man (autobiography of Sidney Portier).

I just bought Shut Up about Your Perfect Kids tonight. It is co-authored by two women with- special needs kids. One has a child with Asperger's and the other a child with- Bipolar. It is supposed to be a funny book.

I just loved the Stephanie Plum books. Does anyone know of another mystery series that also have a lot of humor in them?

G

guest3

Originally Posted By: guest3"Get out of that Pit" by Beth Moore

although I am hoping to find a fiction piece to dive into vs self help books

What kind of fiction do you like?

Ummmm I like Billie Letts alot but she hasn't written anything new, also Beverly Lewis's amish series I just ordered a set 2night actually. I can only read one Danielle Steel per year (too fluffy)

envisablepuppet

I listen to audio books every night at work. If it wasn't for my mp3 player I'd go nuts. I belong to an online audio book club called audible. I probably have at least 150 books on my easy child and have listened to most of them.

I have all the Stephanie Plum books as well as Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I love the Jordon books but he is quite ill and I don't know if he will be able to finish the series. I heard his wife may finish it. Excellent series.

I have fallen in love with Special Agent Pendergast in the series of books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Right now I am listening to The Tin Roof Blowdown by James Lee Burke. Not one of my favorites but it's not to bad.

I have a lot of the better known authors and probably several books by each if I like them. Like I said, I listen to a lot of books lol.

If anyone wants recommendations let me know. :wink:

Lea

SRL

I'm rereading Pride and Prejudice. It's one that I revisit every year or so.

Recently read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and before that it was The Lost Men: The Harrowing Saga of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party. I love adventure books but haven't read much in that genre these past two years.

I'm reading HP Goblet of Fire out loud at breakfast to my kids.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyntersgrace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm reading book 2 in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon called Dragonfly in Amber. It's historical romance and there are 7 books in the series. I actually started the series several years ago, but then left off and had to start over to refresh my memory. </div></div>

I read the whole series and am anxiously awaiting the next book. Is she not one of the best story tellers of all time or what? I just love the factual history, intense romance, and comedy in these books - they just never get old for me. I have to re-read them I think this winter.

I have zipped through 7 books this past month and I can't even think of one title. I am just a book monger and will read almost anything. The one book that really stands out for me was called, "When I was Puerto Rican", a book that tells the tale of a young girl and her family living in Puerto Rico and growing up in a small village, then to be ripped up by her roots and moved to NYC...it's a witty, sometimes tragic tale of her life and her family relations; very heartwarming and for me, it helped me to understand my maternal grandmother a little more. She was born and raised in PR and at about 21 came to NYC and met my grandfather, who had emigrated from Spain. Anyway, some of the foods they mention and traditions were really cool to read about.

And I also have another book by Don Miguel Ruiz ("The Four Agreements" author) entitled "Beyond Fear: A Toltec Guide to Freedom and Joy - The Teachings of Don Miguel Ruiz". I just love the way he writes and teaches. He's inspiring to me and very wise in his simplistic approach to life in general.

scent of cedar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, we know Barbara is reading America Alone...lol. :smile:

</div></div>

Ahem.

Yep. I thought I might as well just slink on over!

:smile:

In addition to the Steyn book, I have been reading old Westerns. I kid you not. I have become curious lately, about what we were all reading, or watching, in the generations before this one.

Louis L'Amor (oh, jeez!), and someone else I cannot remember right now. Also, the entire series of books on creativity by Julia Cameron ~ I even bought some. A Walk in the Woods (not so good), Marie Antoinette (ditto ~ but interesting), Five Quarters of the Orange.

The Mermaid Chair. (Not as good as the one about bees.)

I just am not finding anything that really grabs me, lately.

For anyone who hasn't read Michael Pollan, his books are interesting and beautifully written. He writes about...gardening. :blush: But the books are funny, informative and like I said, beautifully written.

Anybody read Karen Armstrong?

Or Carl Sagan? (My hero, next to The Arnold.) :smile:

I love Taylor Caldwell. And Susan Howatch.

I have one on order about prostitution in Chicago ~ you know guys?

No wonder I can't find anything good lately ~ I was just thinking about a book on mushrooms I wanted and never did get.

Could it be that I need to start looking in the racier sections of the bookstore to begin with!?!

:rofl:

Barbara

Pam R

Right now I am reading "A Beautiful Mind" about John Nash the Nobel Prize winner. There was a movie done on this book, which I saw before reading the book. They did not follow the book, or his life, at all in the movie. The book is fascinating reading.

Before that I was reading several of the "Miss Read" books, but forget which ones. And in the middle of these I read the 7th Harry Potter in one day, while on bedrest to recover from the trip home from my vacation. LOL

I must say I was NOT impressed by this last book. But I had seen the latest movie while on vacation and liked it better than the previous 2.

Probably finish A Beautiful Mind tonight and not sure what I will go on to.

Pam R.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Ok, I just ordered the unabridged audio cd of The Outlander on your recommendations JoG and Wyntersgrace. It will be interesting while driving the long distance to N.Carolina. Thanks.

I just finished Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich. I so enjoyed the Stephanie Plum series that I wanted something else as easy and enjoyable. In the meantime, I'm reading a bio on Warren Buffet. I thought he seemed a little .....intriguing. He sure had a lot of different behaviors as a kid. The actual money dealings is a little zzzzzzzzz for me but the personality part is wonderful.

I have been going through suspense and thriller books all summer as I drive. It makes driving for hours very easy.

Now I have to get the names of all the one's I'm interested in listed here that I haven't read or even heard of. Thanks.

I have 2 books waiting for me that DDD suggested at the beginning of summer. I hope to start one of them tonight.

nlg319

I just finished <u>A Thousand Splendid Suns</u> by Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner. Excellent Book!

I've read these books this summer:

<u>Sickened</u>, The ture story of a girl raised by mom with Munchausen by Proxy. Written by Julie Gregory.

<u>Water for Elephants </u>by Sara Gruen

<u>The Tenth Circle </u>by Jodi Picoult

<u>The Last Days of Dogtown </u>by Anita Diamant

<u>The Glass Castle </u>by Jeanette Walls

Looking for a new book to start!