So what do you call it when someone with a mood disorder...

crazymama30

With my husband and difficult child, it would be hypomania. Their depression is more self hating, for lack of a better term. In husband he would sleep 14-16hrs a day. In hypo mania, he will sleep 4-6. When he is stable, he does 8-10 (chronic pain causes him to need more sleep?). With my husband, I can tell where he is from his sleep pattern. Everyone is different, so I can only speak to what I have seen. Good luck.

Jena

Wow so i'm totally late to this, haven't been on much past day or so. I missed alot. Ok i was going for wow that sounds just like me in the beginning. :)

Im sorry you are having a rough time of it and I just wanted to jump in and say that. Those things you described was my difficult child when she's manic and anxiety at the same time. very very sensitive and looking to "throw down" over anything.

Have you asked him if he likes the way he's feeling inside as of late? id' be curious to know what he'd say.

(((hugs)))

pepperidge

If he had a positive reaction to Lamictal (it has really helped my oldest with much the same symptoms), but developed a rash, have you considered restarting it? we did that with my youngest, and he went back on it a second time with no rash. Of course it didn't work, but that's another matter.

What we did (and what I know some others have done as well) was go slower than the recommended titration. We did it in half steps--began at 12.5 for a week, then up to 25, then on up.

It also sounds like seasonal affect depression. Perhaps some short bouts of light therapy might help as well.

But I would urge you to consult with psychiatrist again about trying Lamictal--unless I suppose he actually had a case of S-J rash. My understanding is that a number of people develop rashes on Lamictal; very few are actually S-J rash.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Pepperidge, he's had this rash flare up twice in the past year on Lamictal. While it's not the S-J type, the neuro did not want to take any chances, especially since it popped up in more places the second time. He titrated slowly when he started, but I don't think it was as slow as you described.

psychiatrist is very aware of husband's history and depressive issues, so I think he already knows what he wants to start him on, it's just that husband has to initiate it, Know what I mean??