So what do you collect?

Star*

call 911........call 911
And please don't say dust! We move way to fast to keep up with our difficult child's to ever collect that.

I got this idea from Susiestars thread about parent teacher conference - seems there are a few of us out there that like things in numbers.

Having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies I am an organized packrat. Some call it organized hording - I call it collecting. And I never collected anything until after I was married (go figure on the stress aspect) lol.

I collect........donkeys, occupied Japan dog figurines, and coins. I used to collect carousel horses and beanies - I now have over 100 carousel horses and 500 beanies.

What do you collect?

Pam R

Books. LOL

Have several thousands here.

House plants, well over 50 at last count.

National Geographics: dating from 1910, some in every decade, but not every year, yet. LOL

And very small collections, which have not been added to in years, of crystals and carousel horses/animals.

Pam R.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hey Star!

I collect Moose: moose frames, mugs with moose on them, pictures of moose, a "welcome" sign in the shape of a moose.

I also collect Elephants. My grandmother revered elephants and collected them. I inherited her small collection and have slowly added some of my own. easy child gave me a hand carved wooden elephant last year and I love it. I keep them up on the mantel above our fire place.

I have collected folksy heart shapes - I love hearts. But I'm kind of moving out of the 'country' look in my house, what, with our renovations, so although I still love hearts, I think I will hold a tag sale this summer and get rid of some of them.

I also collect vintage handbags and purses. I have quite a few that I love! My favorite is a velvet bag with a crystal clasp. It has a little separate case inside for a mirror and change. It's from the '50's. I used to collect vintage cocktail dresses, but I didn't keep that up. I think I have two dresses left in my closet along with a full length, raglan sleeved velvet dressing gown - it's lovely.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I used to collect carousel horses. Since difficult child came along, I've pretty much quit. Still have them, just am not actively gathering more (or even looking at the ones I have!)

That's about it.

So Tired

I used to collect match books. The kind they used to have imprinted with the restaurant's name. I would write inside the cover the occasion and who I was there with. I have matchbooks from my honeymoon, 26 years ago, matchbooks from restaurants long gone, and matchbooks from weddings. It used to be fun to see all the places I had been, from many different states! Now, of course, places don't have matchbooks because they are all non-smoking. It is a real challage to find one these days. Nowadays, I try to bring home ticket stubs or take out menus or the like and use them in scrapbooking.

Lothlorien

I hate clutter, so I'm not much of a collector. I would have to clean it all, so I don't want it.

However, I do collect Christmas ornaments from vacation places or trips that husband and I take. I love to take them out at Christmas and look at them and they make me think of the various times that I had gotten those ornaments.

I also have my Grandmother's china that she brought home from visiting relatives in Scotland years and years ago. It was only a tea set, but I have been able to expand the set to included various rare pieces. Most of them come from Great Brittain or Australia and shipping has become incredibly expensive, so I have not really purchased any more pieces in a long time.

Nancy

I collect collector's spoons from every place we visit or anyone I know visits. My dad started collecting them in WWII and brought them home from all the places he was stationed overseas and now he has seven large cases of them.

Nancy

K

Kjs

husband collects his sports cards. Lots of sports things. He got me into it. He is from Pittsburgh, me from Green Bay...have LOTS of superbowl things from all the Steelers/Packers. He put together an entire set of Packers cards back when Brett was a rookie. We have tons of Brett Favre things..now they are the hot selling item.

trinityroyal

I collect books. Lots and lots of books. I try to get the whole set of a series.

I also have a collection of office desk thingies...coloured pens and highlighters, ornate push pins and magnets, little paperweights...and little nesting boxes to keep them all in.

Hmmm...what else? Canadian Tire money.
Up here we have a general hardware-and-housewares store (kind of like Home Depot), and when you pay, they give you Canadian Tire money with your change. You can then take the CT money back to the store and use it to buy things. You can even buy gas at the gas bar with it. AND a few of the local car dealers near me accept CT money in the parts and service departments. It looks a bit like Monopoly money, and comes in very pretty colours. Right now I'm saving for a new patio set. I'm about 2/3 of the way there.

Christmas ornaments.

Turtles. difficult child made a hand-carved turtle for me in art class, and husband has found some very intricate turtle figurines. He also makes turtle-shaped pancakes for Sunday brunch sometimes.

husband collects scale models of planes. Little easy child has taken up this hobby as well.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I collect is Depression Glass, and haven't added to my collection in a few years -I don't display it anymore because of dogs and boys who are like bulls in a china shop, I add to my Minton China once in a while when I can find a piece thats on sale.

SO makes up for it - we are on overload on Yodas - probably over 2,000 things in the Den - not counting the Yoda thongs that are being put in a display case :( He also collects books on War that stay in his part of my office because I will not have any war stuff in my house, and coins, and DVD's - movies by the hundreds. We both like Japanese movies and he now has started a collection of those. And he has an old camera collection which is residing in storage. And the collection of toy cars, and helicopters, not to mention submarine stuff he has made from a kit

He was collecting dolphins for a while - we had one bedroom turned into a dolphin room but they were boxed up with eldest moved back in, and are still in the garage. (they will be put out in the next garage sale) easy child has his collection of Special Edition Disney Movies, and difficult child has a collection of empty liquor bottles (seriously)

I am at a stage in my life where I have gone from doileys and china figurines to minimalist -less I have to dust is better. Our 2,000 square foot house is just filled with all of these collections of "stuff" and I don't own any of it..

Sigh...

Marcie

house of cards

I started out collecting bells of all shapes, sizes and value...then my husband discovered Hummel bells and I have the set, now I don't have room to display my random set. Next I got these incredible LLadro figurines that looked amazing like my children I adopted, they were so special to me...my husband has continued to get me more ever since. They don't have the meaning of the others but they are beautiful. I finally told him I didn't want anymore but it seems he has some in reserve. I also have a nice collection of teapots above my cabinets. Anyway I would like to have a random collection of something simple but it is hard when my husband gets involved, he likes sets and having a safe gift idea for me.

trinityroyal

Oh...I completely forgot to mention teapots. I collect teapots.

Kathie, I know what you mean about a collection growing out of control when other people pick up on it. It seems that, all of a sudden, whenever a "gift giving" occasion crops up, people know exactly what to get for you.

When I was in university, I had the strangest collection of pig objects because of this. I had a set of pig salt-and-pepper shakers that I thought were cute, and one pig fridge magnet. Before I knew it, I was inundated with pig stuff. Weird.

trinityroyal

busywend, that is so cool!
Have you ever seen the little "outfits" that you can get for Pez dispensers?

They come with shoes, clothes, accessories, and sometimes hats. You can attach them to the character-type dispensers. Once, long ago, I used to have a Robin Hood outfit for a pez dispenser, complete with little hat, bow and arrow, and pointy-toed shoes. I put it on Charlie-Brown-pez.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Well, I collect koalas- anything with them on it. Stitch (he's a psychotic koala) stuff. Dr. Seuss stuff. Books. DVDs. Keyrings.

I used to have a collection of mugs but those have long since disappeared on one move or another.

I have been collecting both the koalas and the keyrings since I was young. The koalas since about 7 and the key rings since about 12.

Beth

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Oh I also used to collect pins (you know the ones with like Duran Duran on them). Still have the ones I collected but don't actively seek new ones of these.

Beth