so what is your difficult child reading?

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
OK it's summer, which seems to be the only time I read, LOL, so I am on fire for books, LOL

difficult child I (17) just finished "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" and he also read a bunch of my old star wars novels, and is working on one of the Bluford High series books. Amazing when you take away music, TV and video games, he reads and draws! WOW

difficult child II still loves his Magic Tree House Books and is also reading "Hoot" which is required summer reading for 6th graders

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My difficult child is mostly reading "Help Wanted" ads...lol.

She is reading Back in Black: An A-List Novel By Zoey Dean

She loves the A-List books.

easy child is reading about 5 books - never really finishes them and most of them have to do with baking or chocolate or spritual interest.

F

flutterbee

Wynter has been reading The Summer of the Traveling Pants - I think it's called. There are a couple more in the series and she's wanting to get them.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 1 has a bunch of books he started this year but never finished... he's eagerly awaiting the 3rd book in the Eragon series that's due out in September. He hasn't read much this summer at all.

difficult child 2 cannot concentrate long enough to read right now :(

easy child/difficult child 3 has read 4 or 5 books already... (not in this order) Little House in the Big Woods, By the Shores of Silver Lake, Ramona the Pest, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (I think that's it).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Lord only knows what Travis is reading. He's a readaholic. Usually reads 2 or 3 books at the same time. (don't ask me how)

Nichole recently finished the next to the last book in the Harry Potter series. She's waiting on easy child to bring over the last one so she can read it. She loves the books. But had gotten lazy and thought we'd tell her how it came out. But we didn't cave. lol So now she's finally finishing it up.

LittleDudesMom

My difficult child is reading "A Bot at War". It's about a boy in Honolulu who is fishing with his buddies when Pearl Harbor is bombed. His father serves on the Arizona. It's about his search for answers and his father. It was on the summer reading list for his school - their list was pretty extensive. We were able to find two books about subjects he really enjoys.

Sharon

K

Kjs

How do you get difficult child TO read? Glad to see mine isn't the only one who will not pick up a book.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
KJS, When I was a kid/teen I never read. My mom had shelves and shelves of books: new books, bestsellers, classics, biographies, you name it. I just wasn't interested. At about 15 or so, I read The Catcher in the Rye, then I read it 3-4 more times over the next 3-4 years. It wasn't until I was about 25 or so that I became an avid reader. Now I go insane if I don't have at least 3-4 books on my bedside table. And multiple magazines. I can't read enough.

As children we read books with the girls all the time and they read those easy readers and some books for school. But neither of my girls were big readers on their own. There was always one author or type of book that interested each of them individually, for instance Richard Scarry's books were our faves. And difficult child was always an excellent reader and would often read to her older sister because easy child always had a hard time with deciphering the words. However, now I see easy child more interested in reading for pure pleasure - she really has no time to read, so she almost never finishes any one book. difficult child has read off and on over the past two years - and now that she has no boyfriend to occupy her every moment, she's reading again.

I don't push reading, I suggest it...and show by example just how captivating and enjoyable reading can be. I think that is key. If you push it too much, they will only run from it and it will only become another 'chore' that mom wants them to complete. Just my opinion.

When they were younger and I was able to dictate their free time a little more, we always joined the summer reading program at the library and they had fun with that. We made weekly trips to the library and just nosed around and rather than push the reading part of it, I mostly let them explore different types of books and that was enough. They never read enough to win any prize at the end of summer, but we would celebrate at home instead because any reading is better than no reading, Know what I mean??

Just my 2¢ on the reading thing with kiddos.

B

butterflydreams

difficult child is reading the 2nd book in the "Rangers Apprentice" series called "Burning Bridge" and trying to finish Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (#6).

easy child is reading the Stephanie Myers books. She finished "Twilight" last week and wants to go buy "New Moon". Her a some friends are all reading the books together and then will go see the movie when it comes out in December.

I remember when I was a kid, I wouldn't sit down with books. But in the summer between 6th and 7th grade, I had to read for 1 hour everyday. Ever since then I have been an avid reader. I don't push my kids to read, but I do encourage them. difficult child has always been advanced in reading, but would never pick up books, now while he is in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) he is reading up a storm. I am going to encourage him as much as I can. easy child reads somewhat if she has books that interest her.

susiestar

Roll With It
thank you is reading some big Pokemon book with all the little critters listed. and magic treehouse and 47 other books.

Jess is reading Nora Roberts, JD Robb, and a bunch of others.

I am sure Wiz is reading, but don't know what.

I am blessed. If I want quiet all I have to do is give each kid a book they haven't read.

We LOVE used bookstores because it is the ONLY way we can afford our reading habit.

I just started getting ebooks. They are sometimes cheaper, and they take up SO MUCH less room!!! So far I have about 20 on my hard drive!

Nancy

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls a memoir of a woman who grew up with an alcoholic father and free spirit mother and the resilience of their children to overcome those obstacles. It's required summer reading for school.

by the way she is not reading it, we are listening to it on audiobook in the car whenever we have to drive somewhere. It's a great book and I'm enjoying it probably more than she is.

Nancy

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
difficult child I (17) is not a reader, but like I said he has had all proveledged stripped so he's bored and desperate!

a few years ago he was however very hooked on the Artemis Fowel series, the only books back then I can actually remember him reading from start to finish! Now difficult child II has them pulled out but I think they're still a little too hard for him, we will see.

DammitJanet

If anyone has a younger teen boy who likes outdoorsy type books the My Side of the Mountain series are great. I think that book is still Corys favorite book. He has read it several times and still goes back and reads it again from time to time.

It would be appropriate for say ages 11 to 16 probably.

trinityroyal

difficult child has been reading a lot lately. I'll have to ask his 1:1 about the specific books. Ever since the medication change, he can now focus long enough that he remembers what he read on the previous page, so reading is now a joy for him. It makes my heart glad.

difficult child gave Little easy child all of his Magic Treehouse books, and easy child is just loving them. He needs help with some of the words but I am happy to see how much he loves books.