So when ARE you going out on maternity leave?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
This is what a parent raised their hand to ask at the end of easy child's lang arts teacher's little speech at back-to-school night yesterday.

Trouble is, the teacher is NOT pregnant and never even hinted that she was. And yes, she's a little heavy. And young enough to be having kids. Though not married.

You should have heard the sputtering and the I-just-swallowed-a-bug look on her face! :faint: I felt so bad for her, but it really was quite funny. :rofl:

The parent had heard that one of their student's teachers was taking maternity leave at some point in the school year -- but apparently they missed going to that particular classroom and just ASSumed it was this teacher.

:holymoly:

Talk about putting your proverbial foot in your mouth!

T

TeDo

How embarrassing and I hope the other parent turned many shades of RED. Talk about the ultimate insult!

Jody

Oh my goodness, those are exactly the kinds of moments that terrify me with difficult child. I just never know what she's going to say. She doesn't think before she says things. Ugh, I don't even know what I would have done.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've had people say similar things to me over the years.

When I retain water, it's mostly in my abdomen.........which can make me go from a small stomach to looking like I'm going to give birth in nothing flat. It's why I have 3 sizes of clothing. And it's why I don't get upset at such comments, because I know I look like I'm pregnant when it happens.

I feel for the teacher to have had it happen in such a public atmosphere, though.

I was having a particularly bad day......a very good friend of the family walked up and seemed upset that I hadn't told him we were going to have a new addition to the family. I laughed, held my belly, and said the new "addition" was 30 pounds of water. He blushed so deeply he turned purple. I just laughed. His sister, who had been hovering behind him, told him next time he might want to use his brain before asking a woman such a question. :rofl:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
easy child and I recently had a debate about an aide at the nursing home. I said she's just heavy, easy child said she thought she was preggers. Hahaha. She just went out on maternity leave last week! Guess she was preggers!

cubsgirl

I'm overweight but I don't look pregnant unless I wear this one particular jacket.

This past weekend I attended the women's retreat for my church. I was wearing the jacket outside when one little old lady asked me when my baby was coming. I laughed and said I'm not pregnant and unzipped the jacket.

She frowned and said "Oh, there isn't a stomach there". At this point she should have kept her mouth shut because then she said "I have a daughter who is your size and being that fat is bad for her because we have diabetes in our family. She needs to be smaller than you".

Uh, gee, thanks lady. The pregnant part I could laugh off the rest was just offensive. She doesn't even go to our church - she came with a friend.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
husband always said you never asked a woman if she was pregnant unless you actually saw a baby emerging from her at that moment.

I always wondered where he'd learned that.

Steely

OMG too funny!!!!
I have had multiple people ask me that over the years!!! People can be idiots.
When I worked at this one retail store I was actually at that time in my life thin - but we had to wear these aprons with pockets in the front. Well, I kinda liked being a kangaroo, so I had all sorts of stuff in those pockets, measuring tape, pens, notepad, paperclips, I don't know. Men in particular would ask me when I was due!!! OK REALLY? How rude!!!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I feel badly for that teacher. That's awful. She must have been mortified.

Ex and I were at one of his company Christmas parties many years ago when he, oh so pleasantly, asked a colleague's wife when their baby was due. Of course she wasn't pregnant. I still have nightmares over the shattered look on her face. Trust me, he never EVER asked that question again.

Suz

SRL

I was having a particularly bad day......a very good friend of the family walked up and seemed upset that I hadn't told him we were going to have a new addition to the family. I laughed, held my belly, and said the new "addition" was 30 pounds of water. He blushed so deeply he turned purple. I just laughed. His sister, who had been hovering behind him, told him next time he might want to use his brain before asking a woman such a question. :rofl:

I've had it happen to me as well. Once by a clerk when I had a five day old infant in a car seat in the cart. Another time by a nurse at the hospital when I had a 2 month old infant in for an ear infection. He was so embarrassed to find out that my very large baby was only 2 months old--said he'd never ask a woman that again. He was so kind I forgave him.

The other time was by a woman at church, and I was seriously put out. I lowered my head, gave her "that look" over the top of my glasses and said something along the lines of "I am 44 years old. I'm having hot flashes and just got my first progressive lenses. And I had your daughter in my high school class over 20 years ago. I am definitely NOT pregnant."

I hope that cured her.