Status
Not open for further replies.

tycjcj

fighting for his rights
If a 14 year old is receiving services under IDEA at school and has been diagnosed with ADHD, Conduct Disorder, Depression and Low Self Esteem would they qualify for Social Security Disability? He has behavioral problems at school as well as problems completing assignments and turning in assignments and homeowrk as well. I've heard that ADHD and ODD are qualifying diagnoses for SSD but wondering how hard it is to prove?

Pam R

I am currently trying for SSI for DS. I've been told it's very difficult to prove. But if he can get it, it will provide a safety net for him, of sorts.

I've gotten the first denial, and have appealed. Not heard on that yet.

Pam R.

DammitJanet

The deal with kids is that whatever diagnosis they have has to impair them to the degree that they are not on the same functioning level as their peers. Cory never functioned like normal kids. Some kids with his diagnosis can.

It took me years to get approved for social security even with my disorders...one of which is bipolar. Supposedly two of my conditions were listed and considered shoe ins but it still took me fighting.

dreamer

I am not positive, but I think, for a child to get soc sec ssi.......family income is also a determining factor?

free2beme

i have a 11 year old that has asthma and specific learning disability and ADHD and ODD i wanted to know if he will get ssi because they have turned him down fo the asthma and im in the reconsideration part with facts on the ADHD,ODD and the specific learning disability

dreamer

Some kids DO get ssi for their diagnosis'es and symptoms..... but, it is dependant on family income, as well as their symptoms. And the symptoms have to greatly impair their daily functioning. But unless they are in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC), if you have a half decent family income, usually the child will not get awarded ssi. There is a website for reading more about it, I cannot remember the url- I think it might be http://www.ssa.gov/

If you look around on their website, you might get more information. I think they might have a list of diagnosis'es or syms that can get benefits.....and I am not sure, but they might also list the income cutoffs.
(Sorry, my WebTV does not work to access the soc sec website, or I would go look for you)

tammyjh

We used to recieve Supplemental Security Income for my difficult child...she is physically disabled so she qualifies that way before even talking about her other diagnosis's. However, we dont' recieve it now because our income is too high for it...but low enough for state ins.

Not sure if you mean SSI or SSD because they are not the same thing. Here's a link to explain it a bit more.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11000.html

and a link on SSD
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html

barbie

MOM of 3
I am applying now for Eric, specifically he has a developmental, speech, cognitive/social, adaptive delays, he has ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), he is allergic to wheat, soy, corn, codfish, peanuts, walnuts, milk, eggs, and pork. He also has asthma, eczema and reflux and was born prematurely at 33 weeks. I called today and they said the usual application takes 4 months to complete. I have the documentation for him going back since birth and in 8 months he's been kicked out of 7 daycares, because of his behavior problems, and is now recently started with an IEP at a school. Im sorry thats alot to write, take in and accept.

Anyways, Im hoping that it doesnt take 4 months, seriously becasue Im taking off ervy other day from work to take him to one appointment or the other, going from pediatrician, to allergist, to psychiatrist to neurologist. Anyone have any input who actually gotten the SSI approved? What was it that made them approve one or deny the other?

B

butterflydreams

I just submitted a SSI application for my difficult child - had the interview last week. I received my copy of the paperwork and it says it could take up to 180 days for a determination. The caseworker at the psychiatric hospital where difficult child is, said she definitely thought he should qualify, but to be prepared for a denial at first. They almost always deny the first time.

Christy

Pam R

We will be going into our third appeal now. We first filed in December 2006. Never heard from them, because they "lost" the application until March 2007. First denial finally came in November 2007. Second came a week or so ago. Don't expect to finish much before DS's birthday next March. :((

Pam R.

4sumrzn

My difficult child was approved as far as her disabilities....this stays with the state on file (for future if something happens to us). BUT, she was denied because we have 2 cars & her "assets" were "over the allowable amount".....and, we had $100 in the checking account at the time, told that pushed us over!?!? I believe it's something you have to keep going for...keep trying if your income allows it!!!!!!

artana

Depending on your state, SSI may not be the way to go. Here in PA, there is Medical Assistance that will pay for most of the therapy, medication, and school help costs that your child might need.

Maranda

My son will be 19 in October. He has a diagnosis of Bipolar, Conduct Disorder, ADHD, Mathematics Disorder. He's had these diagnosis for many years. I applied for Social Security benefits in 2008 and after being denied and appealing twice, I received them. I have documentation of his extensive history dating back to age four, so I'm sure this was helpful. I used all his school records, therapy records, doctor visits, etc. Ironically, Social Secuirty requested he be evaluated by their own psychiatrist and they were he was the one that made the call. I STRONGLY recommend that if you haven't had a neuropsychological evaluation done on your child.....have it done. This evaluation is essential. Not only for SSA, but for assisting with therapy and school. I had my son's first one done @ age 14 and it was eye opening. Of course the downfall to all this is that he turned 18 this year and SSA has different standards for adults and they think that these kids should have just grown out of all those childish behaviors by now. We are due for an appeal's hearing in March. From all the information that I've read and the people that I've spoken with in SSA, I've concluded that the more information they have the better the outcome. Get as many people who interact with your child as you can to attest to how he behaves on a daily basis. It doesn't have to be all negative ( that just looks phoney ). Have them note areas of concern. Statements statements statements. They want to see consistency among people who interact with the child. Also, proper diagnosis is important. Provide all medical records as you can. When they request documents, I found that they rarely ever got the physicians actual notes and such. I was typically very vague information they got. Get copies of the files yourself and provide them to SSA. Look we are the only advocates that our children have........... I don't know about all you, but my son could NEVER fight this battle alone. He can't even make an appointment for himself and that is no exaggeration. This child had to have a 1:1 paraprofessional walk with him his ENTIRE 10th grade year to ensure he wasn't a danger to himself or other students. He is still in high school but has to take it online cause of extreme paranoia and behavior problems in school. I do hope this helps!!!!

slsh

member since 1999
Hi Maranda and welcome. I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread because the original post was 3 years ago ;) but please feel free to join in on more recent posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.