Social Security Disability Question for myself

GuideMe

So I have been on disability for I think almost five years now. I received my first review for continuation of benefits back in July. I filled it all out, gave them a copy of most of my medical records (which was a lot) and dropped it off on July 23rd (around there).

Well I haven't heard not one word from them since, except for two weeks ago, they sent me copies in the mail of the medical records I gave to them saying something like "here is all the copies of what you sent us" and that was about it.

For anyone who has been through a review, did you get copies of your medical records back in the mail and if so, does it mean they are coming close to a decision?

2much2recover

I don't have an exact answer for you but I do know someone who recently went through review and I think the whole process (she had a lawyer) took about a year to complete.

BusynMember

GM, did you have to apply all over again?

With me I got a form asking if anything has changed and I answered the questions. It happens here every three years, bu t I never lose my SS. Nor do I consult a lawyer. It's a form that comes and I send it in. I did not have to submit medical papers so I am not sure about what that means. Interesting that you had to reapply.

Let us know what happens. I've been on SSDI since age 50 and have never had to do anything for continuation, so I am curious.

GuideMe

GM, did you have to apply all over again?

With me I got a form asking if anything has changed and I answered the questions. It happens here every three years, bu t I never lose my SS. Nor do I consult a lawyer. It's a form that comes and I send it in. I did not have to submit medical papers so I am not sure about what that means. Interesting that you had to reapply.

Let us know what happens. I've been on SSDI since age 50 and have never had to do anything for continuation, so I am curious.

It's called a CDR. Not everyone gets one, but the majority does. It's to see if you are still disabled. You probably get the short form (the shorter version) like my mother does, whereas I had to fill out a longer, more detailed one. And no, I didn't have to reapply all over again but I did have to fill out a more detailed report than what my mother had to do. I submitted everything back in July and haven't heard a peep from them until two weeks ago and all they did was sent me copy of my medical records back to me that I submitted to them back in July. That's it. Just copies.

GuideMe

No decision. No update or anything. I was wondering if anyone else is familiar with this because this is my first time getting one.

witzend

I get a request for review every few years. It usually asks if I have been working, and if so how much I earn. It also asks if I've discussed my ability to work with my doctor, and if so what my doctor said about it.

Usually several months later I get a letter saying "Thanks for filling out the form, we don't need to do a complete medical review."

In your case, if they did not say "We need further review" you probably won't be hearing from them for a few years.

GuideMe

I get a request for review every few years. It usually asks if I have been working, and if so how much I earn. It also asks if I've discussed my ability to work with my doctor, and if so what my doctor said about it.

Usually several months later I get a letter saying "Thanks for filling out the form, we don't need to do a complete medical review."

Thanks so much Witzend. It sounds of though you get the short form as well.

In your case, if they did not say "We need further review" you probably won't be hearing from them for a few years.

Hoping and praying. Thanks so much.

witzend

Guideme, I think that I did get a long form letter the first time, which was about 5 years after I first got disability. Not since then, though. I remember it freaked me out.

GuideMe

Guideme, I think that I did get a long form letter the first time, which was about 5 years after I first got disability. Not since then, though. I remember it freaked me out.

Ohhh, ok. I haven't heard anything from them. It's been almost six months.

DammitJanet

I was approved in 2007 and late 2013 I got my first short letter asking a few things like if I had worked, been in school full time or lived out of my home for more than 3 months in the last year or so. Can't really remember. I never heard another word from them..LOL

witzend

This time they did pester me for a while about sending back the letter, even after I had sent it back. But once they got all of their stuff talking to each other that was the end of it.