Soda-pop...

Pink Elephant

Anyone else a soda-pop drinker?

How many cans/bottles do you consume a day?

Is there anyone here that doesn't drink soda (at all)? As in you absolutely, never ever touch the stuff.

Anyone working on kicking the soda-pop habit?

If you drink soda-pop, what's your favourite?

For those that kicked the soda habit, what's your secret?

BusynMember

I only drink diet and often only four times a month. Soda is basically just sugar and lots of salt and empty calories. No nutrition at all. I am more a coffee drinker. No sugar. Decaf often.

When I decided to eat cleaner, soda pop, known as plain pop in Chicago :) ) was one of the first things to go. I didn't have any trouble just not drinking it anymore. Now it is only an emergency drink.

Pink Elephant

I only drink diet and often only four times a month. Soda is basically just sugar and lots of salt and empty calories. No nutrition at all. I am more a coffee drinker. No sugar. Decaf often.

When I decided to eat cleaner, soda pop, known as plain pop in Chicago :) ) was one of the first things to go. I didn't have any trouble just not drinking it anymore. Now it is only an emergency drink.
I've been one of those, one again, off again kind of soda drinkers. I find comfort in flavoured carbonated water (all natural of course), but every now and then I get a real hankering for a pop.

Wish I could shake the habit 100%.

KTMom91

No soda, not ever. I don't like it. Artificial sweeteners give me horrible gas/diarrhea (too much information, right?) so I avoid those.

I drink iced tea, brewed and unsweetened. All day. Every day.

Pink Elephant

No soda, not ever. I don't like it. Artificial sweeteners give me horrible gas/diarrhea (too much information, right?) so I avoid those.

I drink iced tea, brewed and unsweetened. All day. Every day.
The homemade iced-tea sounds delicious!

I can't drink anything artificially sweetened, as it gives me a sore stomach, a headache, and makes me feel wonky.

Lil

Diet Coke. Usually Caffeine-free, Diet Coke, which basically is carbonated sweetened flavored water. LOL I do Diet 7-Up, Diet Pepsi (rarely and only if they don't have Coke) also, and really anything Diet when the mood strikes. I used to drink it by the gallon I swear. Jabber and I still go thru a fair amount, but now pretty much only 1 can a day on average. The rest of the time we drink water (yes, usually flavored). The Diet is because I like it better. I literally have not had a regular soda of any type (intentionally) since I was 15, when we decided sugar would rot our teeth, so my best friend and I started drinking diet. Now the regular is just sickeningly sweet and just off. Can't stand it. :halfdead: That includes all the new ones that they come out with that are supposed to taste like the regular. Yuck. That also includes in mixed drinks. My Rum and Coke is Rum and Diet Coke. LOL - I know. :heh:

Yes, I am the person who will order a double dipped super sized chocolate ice cream sundae with all the toppings - and a Diet Coke.

I have no intention of ever not drinking it, unless they outlaw Diet...and we just call it Soda here. :laughing:

Pink Elephant

Diet Coke. Usually Caffeine-free, Diet Coke, which basically is carbonated sweetened flavored water. LOL I do Diet 7-Up, Diet Pepsi (rarely and only if they don't have Coke) also, and really anything Diet when the mood strikes. I used to drink it by the gallon I swear. Jabber and I still go thru a fair amount, but now pretty much only 1 can a day on average. The rest of the time we drink water (yes, usually flavored). The Diet is because I like it better. I literally have not had a regular soda of any type (intentionally) since I was 15, when we decided sugar would rot our teeth, so my best friend and I started drinking diet. Now the regular is just sickeningly sweet and just off. Can't stand it. :halfdead: That includes all the new ones that they come out with that are supposed to taste like the regular. Yuck. That also includes in mixed drinks. My Rum and Coke is Rum and Diet Coke. LOL - I know. :heh:

Yes, I am the person who will order a double dipped super sized chocolate ice cream sundae with all the toppings - and a Diet Coke.

I have no intention of ever not drinking it, unless they outlaw Diet...and we just call it Soda here. :laughing:
I mostly hear the term "pop" in our area. As for sweetness, pop really has become sickening sweet. One pop style that I can better than all others is Canada Dry Ginger Ale. Way less sugar, and it's quenching, but even then I avoid drinking pop at all costs, unless of course I can't control my craving.

I still enjoy my all natural flavoured carbonated water, but sometimes...

AppleCori

They use the term ‘pop’ around here, and it never quite sits right with me. We always used the term ‘coke’ to describe any sweetened, carbonated beverage, and all of them are cokes to me, in my mind.

I don’t buy it, but if we are out, sometimes hubby will get a coke (not diet). I always take a few drinks, and I really like it.

He introduced me to Diet Mt. Dew, a drink I never even considered drinking, but find quite tasty as well.

Pink Elephant

They use the term ‘pop’ around here, and it never quite sits right with me. We always used the term ‘coke’ to describe any sweetened, carbonated beverage, and all of them are cokes to me, in my mind.

I don’t buy it, but if we are out, sometimes hubby will get a coke (not diet). I always take a few drinks, and I really like it.

He introduced me to Diet Mt. Dew, a drink I never even considered drinking, but find quite tasty as well.
I remember Mountain Dew as a kid! That was really tasty pop!

Coke is my favourite!

Lil

Diet Mountain Dew is Jabber's drink of choice. I personally can't stand Mountain Dew - too ...limey? Lemony? Something. :p

Lil

I think when it comes to citrus flavours, you either like 'em or you don't. I have a real love for all things citrus.

I like regular lemon/lime soda, like sprite and 7-up. I like Fresca - which is grapefruit. I just don't like Dew. Maybe it's too strong? Maybe it's not lemon-lime? What flavor is that supposed to be, anyway?

Pink Elephant

I like regular lemon/lime soda, like sprite and 7-up. I like Fresca - which is grapefruit. I just don't like Dew. Maybe it's too strong? Maybe it's not lemon-lime? What flavor is that supposed to be, anyway?
OMG, yes, Fresca, I totally forgot about that one, but enjoyed it, too.

I think the Dew is lemony/limey. Haven't had it in ages, but I seem to remember the lemony/limey flavour.

AppleCori

I think Mt. Dew is a orange/citrus flavor.

Which is strange, considering I don’t really like oranges, and I really don’t like orange juice.

BusynMember

Coke, Apple??? For 7 up? Hehe. A friend who grew up in the south told me that everything there was Coke. And I told her about the word pop and she laughed at that and we both did a little friendly teasing about that.

In Wisconsin it is soda. If I slip up and say "pop" I am not sure I am being understood...lol.

My favorite teen drink was Tab. Remember that, Pink? When I do treat myself to a diet soda it is either diet Coke, diet root beer or my favorite diet cream soda.

My stomach feels better without whatever type of stuff they put in any sort of pop/soda/Coke. Yet O rolwratecoffee well. Go figure.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
In Wisconsin it is soda. If I slip up and say "pop" I am not sure I am being understood...lol.

Yes, and with my family mostly being from the Chicago area, and my having lived in WI for about 13 years and started calling the stuff "soda", instead of "pop", I get the occasional weird look when I'm around family where a "soda" is a dessert type beverage made with seltzer water, flavoring syrup, and ice cream.

Oh...and my cold beverage of choice? Caffeine-free Diet Pepsi, of which I drink 3 bottles per day.

The reason all you folks around my age (late 50's) hate regular soda now when you liked it when you were young? Simple. When we were young, it had real sugar in it. Now it has high fructose corn-syrup in it.

HFCS has a very distinctive flavor to those of us who grew up with real sugar in beverages.

I was in Germany during the 80s (came home in late 92) when the switchover happened. (HFCS is banned for human consumption in most of the world; its very bad for us).

I had loved Fanta orange pop as a kid, and really loved the German version, which was less sweet and more "citrusy". When I came back stateside, they had gone to HFCS. I bought a can of Fanta orange, and nearly gagged.

Not only was it horribly sweet, but it had this weird, sort of, "Karo-ey" taste.

I stuck it out with Coke for a bit, switched to Diet Coke, and then to Diet Pepsi. Developed a caffeine intolerance and had to cut way back. So went caffeine free other than a mug of tea when i get up.

BusynMember

I can't call Coke/soda/,pop anything but soda anymore. Been in Wisconsin over twenty years and pop sounds strange now.

I also now understand why the few times I accidentally sipped sugared soda, it made me literally feel sick. So sweet!!