Some days it is fun to be Mommy!

susiestar

Roll With It
Jessie was just in here and mentioned something "s*cks". First I said language! sternly.

Then I asked her if she knew what "s*cks" referred to.

she didn't. She tried to run away when I explained. I insisted she listen (description was very broad and clinical - not detailed), but it TOTALLY squgged her out!

I must say it was funny to watch her reaction.

I have always felt that if the kids didn't know the meaning of the words they would be more apt to use them.

Now she knows. IT was fun and with a easy child most likely effective way to get her to stop using that word.

LOL!:tongue:

F

flutterbee

Ok, I give. What does it mean then? I always thought it's the same as saying 'stinks' or 'bites' or 'just really no good'.

trinityroyal

Heather, I'll give you a hint.
"It s*cks" is a sentence fragment. The question you have to answer is, s*cks WHAT?

I will go no further, lest the board censors censor me.

Hope this helps,
Trinity

F

flutterbee

Ok. Well you're going to have to PM me cause I don't know what....

Gosh. I'm feeling a little stupid now.

F

flutterbee

7. Slang to be contemptible or disgusting

That's the only #7 I found. I guess I'll just stay confused. I know the 'vulgar' meaning, but I've never heard the word used alone with that.

Andy

Susie, What a great idea. Whenever she says it, you can say, "Do you mean as in (the vulgar definition)?"

susiestar

Roll With It
Ok ladies, as I grew up learning the definition, it was a reference to oral sex.

Jessie is SOOOO creeped out by the thought of boys and sex (esp as lots of her peers have boyfriends and she thinks it is stupid) that all I had to do was make sure she understood that the definition around here refers to that, well, she won't be using that word for a while!!

Sorry to confuse y'all.

But from the creeped out look on her face, and the squeal she gave, it IS fun to be MOmmy some days!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie, this method prevented my kids from cursing until their late teens. :D I figure you've no business using a word you don't even know the meaning to. And taught them that using a word when you don't know it's meaning can actually be dangerous sometimes if said to the wrong person.

It not only disgusted them usually, it made them seriously considered what was coming out of their mouths.

I love these sort of lessons. I find they usually "stick" better. :)

Jena

Wow!!! LOL I just read through everyone's responses and looking it up.

too funny. wow she must be freaked out!!!

meowbunny

Maybe it's being older, but I was taught the full phrase was "sukking a lemon" or "go suk a lemon" and, yes, I've heard the obscene phrasing but I know of no one who means it that way when they say something "suks." I guess because of that I fnd nothing wrong with the word and think the censorship of it here is just silly and we certainly find interesting ways to get around it. Regardless of the origin, I doubt people today use the word sukk to refer to oral intercourse -- it is an extreme "stinks," just downright yucky. Sometimes I do believe get too hung up on words. Sorry.