***Someone please pass the hankies***

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I called Rob to tell him about our sweet Chelsea. His reaction was just so incredible. It was sensitive, empathetic, loving. "Mom, if you ever need anyone to talk to about her you can talk to me. I will listen."

I kid you not.

:9-07tears:

And on the heels of this I found out that I'm going to be a MOTHER-IN-LAW! Rob proposed to Heather last night. In typical difficult child fashion, he picked a fight with her first, :nonono: and then proposed. It's a good thing she loves him :rofl:

They haven't set a date- Heather said her Mom cried when she found out. She's waiting to tell her Dad until she sees him in person. Rob talked to him in December and asked for her hand and Dad gave his blessing then. Still, it will be fun to hear about it after they tell him.

What an emotional week. :9-07tears:

mother in law Suz

everywoman

Wow---Rob is engaged. And going to be married. And talked to you decently and empathized----OMG---that is HUGE.. I know you are probably ecstatic right now.

Fran

Former desparate mom
:bigsmile:Wow!!!!!!! Wow!!!
What a wonderful post. He acted kind to you and he found a soul mate. I am just amazed at the transition.

Maybe he will grow into the man of character you thought he could be. I'm a proud board auntie for his empathy. :queen:This is you as queen in law. :beautifulthing:

Ephchap

I can't pass you the hankies ... I'm busy using them ! OMG, Suz ! I'm crying reading this. I am just over the moon for you. Treasure these moments. You've earned them !!!!!!!!

:bigsmile:

Another proud Board Auntie sending mega hugs !
Deb

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
EW, you are so right. The empathy is HUGE. I'm just so proud of him. He's still a difficult child in so many ways but he is developing some true social skills. :faint:

Fran, I love Queen in Law. :rofl: Rob and I have talked about "character" endlessly and what constitutes a man and how to protect a relationship. I so hope he's really listening.

Deb, here's a hankie. I'll share. :9-07tears:

mother in law Suz

DammitJanet

Omgosh...Im so thrilled for you....and for Rob! Character development...who knew it could happen?

Of course, we always knew it could...lol.

25...the magic number! He is growing up. Congrats.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks, Janet. This has been quite a year for "our" boys. Cory has also come a long way.

I am cautiously optimistic. Rob is still out to lunch in some ways but he's leaps and bounds from where he started. I'm afraid to get too happy because I don't want to jinx anything.

Suz

DammitJanet

Suz...my therapist is doing some CEU video units and the ones she is doing now are about kids. The author states that he believes that kids frontal lobes dont stop maturing until 25 so they still are stuck in adolescence until then. They start at around age 11 and go until 25! As a society we expect these 18 year olds to be ready for far too many responsibilities and choices than their brains are actually mature enough to make. They are still impulsive and stuff. Makes sense to me!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I agree.

Remember the difficult child board member from my last job who told me to give Rob until he was 28? I guess he spoke from experience (his own and his friends). When I posted it, we were all horrified and counted the years/days/seconds until our boys would turn 28. lol

It seems he was pretty darn close (knock on wood!)

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Aw Suz!! Rob has come such a looooong way!!! Wow. Empathy and a proposal. I know 65 yr olds (husband included) who can't do empathy. How sweet of him.

This board auntie is mighty proud. :D

Wow! I think once that maturity bug bites them is when they begin to have things click and make sense.

Hugs

slsh

member since 1999
Aw Suz, I'm just so pleased for you. What he gift he gave you - and how wonderful that he's got that empathy now. Huge strides.

I'm also terribly impressed that he asked Heather's dad for her hand way back in Dec. So charmingly old-fashioned, plus there was some planning going on here. I'm just so happy for you and for him.

N

Nomad

Wonderful news!
He is showing empathy!
You are so funny..."out to lunch, " etc. Hope feels sooooo gooood!
Congrats!

DDD

That Rob actually reacted like a loving son, well, that's just awesome. There is a special connect between Moms and sons that is beautiful and pure on the rare connections when it is just one-on-one. I'm happy for you, Suz. DDD

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
What a nice post to read Suz :)

Rob has grown up a lot - what a milestone.. With the boys, doesn't look like I will ever be a mother in law, or a gramma, but I am so ok with that LOL

Marcie

Star*

call 911........call 911
That was the nicest post to open today! I am so happy for you, and happy for Rob and Heather.

I think despite their crusty exterior our kids know that when they are at their worst the dog is our sanity saver and somehow they appreciate them more maybe than most kids. It was nice that he remembered your love for Chelsea.

THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!

So Does Richard know he's going to be stepfather of the groom? Has he got a tuxedo ready - what do you think you'll wear to the wedding?

Hugs

Thanks for the FANTASTIC news Suz -

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks everyone. I'm really happy, of course. I've also learned to temper my enthusiasm - I guess trying to stop being hypervigilant ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

But I appreciate every single step he's making towards genuine manhood, every kind word he sends in my direction, and every time he says, "I love you, Mom." I finally think he really means it!

mother in law Suz

I think that is amazing! I dont really know the whole story but any hope is good for me. I cant even imagine anything normal right now in my sons life. He is still chosing his lifestyle no matter what - I am afraid we wont get to see the life and potential he is capable of. congrats to you, suz.

Estherfromjerusalem

Congratulations, Suz! What a thrilling update! It is indeed amazing when suddenly they become sympathetic. I find that incredibly moving.

And congratulations on him getting engaged. Hope everything goes smoothly, or at least as smoothly as possible.

Sending you a big congratulatory hug!

Love, Esther