Someone smack me

H

HaoZi

I have no clue what (who?) possessed me. Total lark. I called the zoo and asked about donations, and as soon as I said I won something at the museum auction they knew exactly who I needed to talk to. Didn't even need to say what it was. Not sure if that's because I emailed earlier or if she just handles this type of thing in general. So waiting on a call back from them. Have an email in to the packaging/shipping company handling the auction logistics, too. If I have to get it down here I'll rent a storage unit big enough and have them take it directly there.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You know, I bet they JUMP at the chance to have it. It would make excellent decor for a zoo exhibit.

Since you shelled out cash for it I'd see if they could give you a receipt of some sort so you can deduct it from your taxes.

H

HaoZi

I don't make enough to itemize on my taxes, so it's pointless to get a receipt. I think you have to itemize for that, anyway. I was thinking their aquarium exhibit, too. It's also our favorite part of the zoo!

Malika

Actually, HaoZi, I was going to say earlier (before I got rudely interrupted :) ) that I think the zoo exhibit idea is brilliant. I can just see the fish darting in and out of it (accompanied by the odd mermaid).

H

HaoZi

Malika, it wouldn't be in the aquarium. You can't just dump any old thing into the fish (shark) tank, you'll disturb the balance and possibly kill everything. Their aquariums are in a building, so it would be indoors rather than exposed to the elements, and considering the piece it would be for looking, not touching.

Still waiting to hear from the zoo, but I did hear from the packing company, and he's not going to look at the items to see what is needed for them until next week, so I have some time to figure it out.:whew:

Funny thing, I ran into the maintenance guy coming back from the store, and I guess he thought I was joking when I said I was trying to figure out if I could get a shipwreck up the stairs (the stairs are inside and not well designed for moving big things).

TerryJ2

:winks:Funny thing, I ran into the maintenance guy coming back from the store, and I guess he thought I was joking when I said I was trying to figure out if I could get a shipwreck up the stairs (the stairs are inside and not well designed for moving big things).

Malika

Malika, it wouldn't be in the aquarium. You can't just dump any old thing into the fish (shark) tank, you'll disturb the balance and possibly kill everything. Their aquariums are in a building, so it would be indoors rather than exposed to the elements, and considering the piece it would be for looking, not touching.

Ah yes, a scientific point that had passed me by... But you are surely not suggesting that your prized auction win is any old thing?

H

HaoZi

LOL, it's not just any old thing, it's a big old thing that I somehow won for $25 and have no idea what to do with!

H

HaoZi

And one I still have to figure out. The zoo says they can't take it. Thought about it more this morning and considering the age of the museum it might have lead-based paint. This piece might be newer than that, but I don't know if there's any way to find out. Library director won't be in until Wednesday to see if they'll take it, but it's quite possible it will need either re-painting or a sealed glass case. *sigh*
Guess I'll go price storage units.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. Sort of surprised the zoo didn't want it as it's pretty darn cool.

Star is right, freebie on craigslist or freecycle ought to do it.

Hmm. Might try seafood restaurants too. They might like it as part of their decor.