Something for myself

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Years back, husband's grandmother left me a pair of ruby and diamond earrings. We had the rubies made into a set of earrings for husband, and the tiny diamonds made into a set of studs for me.

I wore those earrings on and off for years. Unfortunately, our jewelry box was stolen when husband's brother ransacked the house a couple of days after husband died. Along with the jewelry went DHs collection of foreign coins. The coins were worth little more than face value, but they were mementoes of every place he'd served in during his Army career.

Today, I bought myself a set of 1/5 carat total weight diamond stud earrings. Oh, they're tiny and the stones are not of the same quality as the ones that were stolen.

I almost (not quite) feel guilty for spending the money on myself but it's the first time I've had jewelry since husband died 11 years ago. I am wearing them now and every time I catch myself in the mirror and see the tiny twinkles in my ears I smile.

Silly me, but they make me feel good. I'm not one for manis/pedis, the idea of someone else playing with my feet skeeves me out, and I can't find a massage therapist up here or an acupuncturist.

I am going out of town for 10 days, leaving tomorrow, and when I get back, I have to get to the bottom of some unpleasant health issues I've been in denial about for way too long. I'm dreading that and dreading the fact that I might get bad news (type of unpleasantness and family history). I've never spent money just to make myself feel good (which I gather is unusual for bipolar people). So this is my first time doing so.

I like looking at my twinkling ears and plan on enjoying them no matter what health challenges I face. Worst case scenario is that I'll actually have an "estate" down the road. Someone I love can have twinkly ears too.

donna723

Anything that makes you smile when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror is well worth the money! Enjoy!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yup. The twinkles make me feel better about the fat, silvering, middle-aged broad looking back at me. The nice thing is that they go with whatever I'm wearing because they are so small and are in a plain prong white gold setting.

They certainly look great with the sweats I am currently wearing as I refuse to turn the heat up above 65 and it's definitely autumn up here. I saw the first trees changing when I was driving around earlier.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is wonderful to hear that you are doing this for yourself and are enjoying it. Life is far too short and too precious to not indulge yourself when you can. Don't let future troubles or difficulties ever steal the joy you feel when you see the twinkle in your ears. From all you have told me about your husband, he very much would be so pleased that you have purchased these earring and more happy that you are enjoying them.

I hope the tests do not reveal things that cannot be fixed or helped, and esp that no health problems cause you pain. Family history is not always a guarantee that you will have the same problems, not even with the same symptoms.

trinityroyal

GN, I'm so glad you bought those lovely earrings for yourself. I agree. Anything that makes you smile whenever you catch sight of it is worth the expense.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and hoping that the tests reveal something fixable.

*Trinity

DDD

Your post brought a smile to my face too. I'm so glad that you treated yourself with such an appropriate choice. DDD