Something to be proud of...

svengandhi

My difficult child is a National Merit Commended Student. Unfortunately, he has already said he will not attend the group picture taking at school, but I am really proud of him. I hope they put his name in the local paper so all the people who think he's stupid can eat it...

Also, he's arranging for the girl he likes to tutor youngest boy in their mutual foreign language. She's in AP level and YB is in 7th grade.

He's decided that he will work on his Eagle Scout after all.

He has decided that he wants to study quantum physics at college, but he hasn't done any applications!

Who'd have thunk when the principal told me to put him in a mental institution in 6th grade that he'd be graduating HS!

keista

Congrats to both of you!

If they don't put it in the paper, make copies of his certificate (or letter or whatever it is he got on paper) and mail copies to all they naysayers.

tiredmommy

It is a big deal! You should be proud! Maybe he'll let you him for a celebratory lunch or dinner someplace he likes?

svengandhi

Thank you, everyone. It's just nice to have something kvell about.

TM - He wouldn't want a lunch or a dinner out, he's very unassuming in that way.

We were teasing him today - he was offered a job tutoring physics and math and we found out that it's for this girl we call his "stalker," we were joking that she's really an honor student who is pretending to be dumb to spend time with him. He said the tutoring went well and he'll do it again.

Next up is trying to get him to finish his Eagle Scout. He had 3 badges left when a difficult child leader got offended at hearing the truth, expelled difficult child from the troop and took away his motivation.

Star*

call 911........call 911
hEY SVEN!

SEE THESE ARE THE THINGS.......THAT DESERVE HUGE HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! SO CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!:choir:

AND IT'S TIMES LIKE THIS THAT I WISH I HAD A SLUSH FUND - BEAUSE I WOULD SOOOOOO TAKE OUT A 1/2 PAGE AD IN YOUR LOCAL NEWS PAPER......WITH PICTURE AND AWARD......AND PERSONALLY HAND DELIVER IT WITH HUGE 3 FOOT YELLOW HAND CUT ARROWS POINTING AT MY NEPHEWS PICTURE (ON EITHER SIDE) TOTHE PORCH OF ALL NAY SAYERS.......THEN STAND ON THE LAWN AND WITH MY HANDS IN MY HEARS LIKE DOING THE HOKEY POKEY.......SWING MY BUTT AROUND AND SING NANNA NANNA BOO BOO - STICK YOUR HEAD IN DOO DOO.

oh yes.....yes I would.......BECAUSE .......i have never looked at a quantum physics book without thinking about sticking my head in doo doo.

CONGRATULATIONS MOTHER OF BRAINIAC CHILD.........CONGRATULATIONS BRAINIAC CHILD..........

InsaneCdn

TM - He wouldn't want a lunch or a dinner out, he's very unassuming in that way.

I've got one of those...
Found out that he DOES appreciate some $$ toward a favorite project (hobby, interest, or whatever) or a favorite cause (donate in his name)...
Its a more subtle way of acknowledging the importance of this to HIM without making him the centre of attention.

svengandhi

insane -

He wouldn't want a donation in his name but a little monetary gift might be appreciated. He is really not into money - he made $1200 this summer as a camp counselor and still has about all of it and he doesn't ask me for very much.

I realized that he was a little embarrassed because the girl he likes didn't get an award and she is very smart and takes all AP's for the most part.

And another kvell - difficult child recommended this same girl to tutor my youngest son in foreign language. She called last night to arrange and told me she didn't want to charge us because "difficult child is my friend and I don't want to take advantage!" First, this is the first time I ever heard a girl refer to difficult child as "my friend" and second, she sounded so sweet I can't believe my son is friends with such a lovely young lady. I arranged a price of $15/hr with her (going rate for HS seniors is $20) but told difficult child that H will not have change when he pays her as I intend to give her the full 20.

anyway, we are back to the real world. difficult child is not doing math HW and failed the first test and the make-up because he refused to allow the teacher to tutor him. It's AP math so it's an elective he doesn't need to graduate so he can keep it. But still...

InsaneCdn

Pick up a small gift or gift certificate in an area of interest? For example... using a combo of husband and difficult child and my bro and other extended family...
- toward tools if so inclined (wood-working, automotive, etc.)
- art supplies
- fishing gear
- bicycle gear
- sports specialty stuff
- kitchen shop (some fellows are into cooking)
- etc.

This is better than cash... because it took effort to go get it, AND shows you have a direct interest in HIS interests...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well as his mishpoca Auntie? I say the boy has lots of chutzpa - but oy! For what he does now to his Mother?! He'll come around and then? No more of the monkey business!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so happy for you and proud of him!!!! Yes, he is goofing around and getting in the way of his own success, but it actually is one of the problems that is VERY common among the truly gifted. Those who are most commonly thought of as gifted and identified as gifted in school are usually those who are hard workers who do what they are told/asked to do. Teachers and administrators identify them as gifted NOT because they have brains working on a higher level but because they get good grades. Those with real gifts often don't get the top grades or get them but don't put out a ton of effort unless it is something they are interested in AND the teacher doesn't put restrictions/rules that get in the way, because their brains are busy doing other things.

SO WAY TO GO difficult child'S MOM AND difficult child!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I can TOTALLY understand why he doesn't want his picture in the paper. Most likely he has spent years with other students teasing and bullying him for being so smart, wrecking the curve, etc....... and he just wants to do his own thing his own way. His own thing just happens to be a few levels above what the other students (and at least some of his teachers and administrators) can understand. Even if he NEVER mentioned having problems with bullies or teasing, it happened. It is almost guaranteed to happen in an educational system where kids are grouped first by age and very secondly by ability. (been there done that)

As for that jerk who told you to put him in a mental hospital, do you know where he works now? It would be SOOOOOOOO tempting to send a box full of copies of the article. Don't use crumpled paper or packing peanuts to fill the box. Get glitter online in bulk and fill the box with it. Put the name of whatever institution he said difficult child should be sent to as the return address.

Probably just imagining him opening the box would be enough for me. But I might wait until after difficult child had graduated and actually sent the box. difficult child can't get into trouble for it if he has graduated, Know what I mean??

As for the Eagle Scout, did you contact the national office about the difficult child leader's actions when he expelled difficult child? I can't think of many situations when the National level would tolerate that. I hope difficult child completes it, it is a very impressive achievement. Maybe you could help him see finishing it as a way to anger/upset/flip off the difficult child leader? IF that type of thing would motivate him. I know my difficult child will work far harder to do something if it will p*** off someone who told him he couldn't do it or who threw him out of a group with-o just cause. You would know if that would motivate difficult child.

If there is something he has been wanting to do, maybe it would be a good reward to do it with him or arrange for a friend or two (this sweet young lady?) to do it with him - funded by you of course? Maybe a bucket list type thing? Or if he likes certain music groups, maybe tickets to a concert or something like that? If you think about what he truly loves to do, things he really enjoys, you will come up with some way to reward his hard work.

((((((((((hugs)))))))))) to you (and difficult child if he would accept them), and I am SO PROUD of him and of you for raising him and encouraging him through thick and thin so that he was able to achieve this!

svengandhi

Thank you all for your encouragement and pride. There is so much truth in what you say.

All of my children are bright, but he is above and beyond. Susie must know him. Last year, he took a class in Honors law. The grade was tests only, no HW. difficult child not only got an A+ but he won a two county competition (and we only found out about the luncheon because his teacher called us). If this had been a HW based class, he never would have done as well.

I have been thinking about what to do for him or get him. His main hobby is chess and there are just so many accessories you can have for that one... His favorite singer right now is Phil Ochs so I will get him a CD but sadly seeing Phil is not possible. I think difficult child finds Phil's creativity coupled with bipolar to be fascinating, plus his music is sadly still relevant even all these years after Viet Nam.

As for the Eagle, it was brought up but difficult child did not want to pursue it. He is such a good kid that last week he actually volunteered on the eagle project of his former leader's son, who he remains friends with. He is now thinking of doing his project and if he does, I will let everyone know.

That teacher and principal are still here. If he does his eagle, I will send them an announcement. I would love to see their faces.