Something to Ponder

Andy

Came across this today and really got me thinking:

...the glass isn't half full OR half empty...it's just too big! Get a smaller glass and then it will be overflowing...now that's changing perspective!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Something about being satisfied with what you have... 'cuz if the glass were bigger, it would only seem emptier, right? :D

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thought maybe you would like this too.

Drinking From My Saucer

I've never made a fortune
and it's probably too late now.
But I don't worry about that much,
I'm happy anyhow.

And as I go along life's way,
I'm reaping better than I sowed.
I'm drinking from my saucer,
'Cause my cup has overflowed.

I don't have a lot of riches,
and sometimes the going's tough.
But I've got loved ones around me,
and that makes me rich enough.

I thank God for his blessings,
and the mercies He's bestowed.
'cause my cup has overflowed.

I remember times when things went wrong,
My faith wore somewhat thin.
But all at once the dark clouds broke,
and the sun peeped through again.

So God, help me not to gripe about
the tough rows that I've hoed.

If God gives me strength and courage,
when the way grows steep and rough.
I'll not ask for other blessings,
I'm already blessed enough.

And may I never be too busy,
to help others bear their loads.
Then I'll keep drinking from my saucer,
~ John Paul Moore ~

Andy

Thank you Star - I love that poem! :)

GCVmom - you are looking at it very similar to my first reaction. Blessings do overflow our life and sometimes we have to do something different to see them.

2nd ponder was: I think we don't always have a choice of what is in our glass (or cup) but we can control the size of the glass/cup. When we keep it an appropriate size, we will see our blessings overflowing. When it is so tall that it can not be filled, maybe then is the time to start cleansweeping our life - get rid of the unrealistic expectations - we really can not do everything. What we are longing for is not always in our best interest and will not show as a blessing but may show as the empty still in our glass and holding us down.

3rd ponder: What a way to think outside the box! :) In all my years of knowing this saying, I never thought of a way around it. Here it is!

bby31288

me too Janet. Maybe one of those little dixie cups that people have in their bathrooms?? But seriously, that is a great quote. I stole it and just put it as my facebook status!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I actually have a thimble someone gave me as a gift when I was bartending. It is the size of a shot glass. On the side is engraved "I'd like a thimble full of that please." I was a non-drinking bartender and would always say "I'll just have a thimble full." to be polite.

muttmeister

I love all of the beautiful thoughts and I know that's how I should think.
However, I just keep thinking that, when my difficult children were here, the problem wasn't that the glass was half full or half empty. They problem was that they'd throw the glass at each other, stomp on the glass and break it, spill what was in it, track it all over everyplace, and expect me to clean it up.
How's that for a pessimistic view of things?

Andy

Oh Muttmeister! So true, so true! I so understand - somedays better to just hide the glass no matter how big it is!

:)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have this teensy mug with my name on it that my Mom got me years ago. Think that is my size right now... LOL

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I love all of the beautiful thoughts and I know that's how I should think.
However, I just keep thinking that, when my difficult children were here, the problem wasn't that the glass was half full or half empty. They problem was that they'd throw the glass at each other, stomp on the glass and break it, spill what was in it, track it all over everyplace, and expect me to clean it up.

LOL! That's what happened to all my glassware, too!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
My husband told me optimists live at least two years longer than pessimists, so I told him if you were a pessimist why would you care about living two years longer?........ Do like the idea of an overflowing glass.......