Something very nice.....

F

flutterbee

When I returned from my doctor appointment this morning, there was a man plowing my driveway. Turns out he's my neighbor who lives 2 doors down. He noticed that we had moved in over the weekend and came and plowed the snow out of my driveway for me even though we had never met. This man, Bob, is disabled, said his 'eyes went'. He also offered his services for mowing the lawn in the summer as he repairs lawn mowers and has a couple of riding mowers.

How nice is that?! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy. So many positive things have happened in the past week. I definitely think I'm where I'm supposed to be.

I'm trying to think of something nice to do for him, but I'm wondering if his 'eyes went' due to diabetes so I don't feel comfortable taking him cookies (my usual MO). Any ideas? This is new to me as I've never had neighbors like this.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Maybe a fruit basket? Or some sort of casserole dish that is "healthy" and can be reheated. We used to have a neighbor that had a Cat and would plow our driveways and our street better than the city did. I hated it when he moved.

tiredmommy

How about a simple Christmas card? Or one of those little magnifying glass cards that are the size of a credit card?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heather,

What a wonderful neighbor. To be very honest, I'd ask him about his food limitations. I'd hate to make a mistake in this area.

In the past, I've given gift certificates to grocery stores; I'd let the person with special dietary needs pick out what they needed.

Just a thought. And again, thanks for sharing this - it touches the heart.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I dunno -

Could he use a new snow shovel? In case the one he's using on your drive wears out?

-Just thinking ahead (BAD opportunistic Star BAD BAD Star) :slap:

How about a really nice pair of gloves? Or the Dollar Store sells these HOT PACKS for hands and feet. They are like a $1.00 for three and work great. I used to put them in my boots when I worked in construction in winter - they really work.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Aw, that was so sweet.

The first year we moved into our home was one of the worst weather-wise our state had seen in a long time and the day we moved in we had a 2 foot snow storm. When we woke up and H headed outside to shovel our incredibly long driveway, it had been plowed!! We were so sure that it was the one neighbor we knew on the block - he had run our dds' daycare back then and he had a plow on his truck. So, I made him a special pumpkin bread and when I delivered it to him I overwhelmed him with gratitude, he looked confused and said, "I didn't plow your driveway."

Turns out the old owners never cancelled their snow plow service so we got a freebie! Yeah! Anyway, our neighbor enjoyed the bread.

Your's is truly a heartwarming story. I understand about the dietary concerns. Perhaps a new pair of winter gloves? Or some type of angel food cake/dessert - most diabetics can have that. Or, how about a nice ornament for his tree?

nvts

Could it be that "silver lining" that we've been looking for?

:smile:

What a wonderful person! I like the idea of gloves or a scarf or something. He's doing "cold work" so it would be "fitting" (ok, really, really bad pun!). :rolleyes:

Great news about such a great neighbor!

Beth

F

flutterbee

Thanks for the ideas, ladies! Definitely good ones.

Star - Since he plowed my driveway with a tractor thingy (yes, I DO believe that IS the technical term), he might be offended if I hand him a shovel. :rofl:

How unbelievably sweet.

You need a story like this every now and again to restore your faith in mankind. Very happy to hear that this angel is one of your neighbors, Heather. You certainly deserve it.