Son coming out of residential

Molly60

Son has an IEP, but not sure if they have services. He would most likely go to an alternative school which is only 3 hours a day. Can't handle the public Hugh school due to anxiety and prevalence of drugs. And not sure if it would be 8 to 11 or 12 to 3. Just too many unknowns for my liking

We cannot afford to hire someone or send him to all these programs. Middle class folks.

But I will see what kind of services are available, not getting my hopes too high though.

Copabanana

I don't mean to be insensitive. I'm not rich either. I am brainstorming. The school and taxi for my son were paid for by the school district. I got a free attorney from an organization called Disability Rights. I can only speak to what's available here as I have not lived in another state.

Would regional center help? Would he qualify?

What about arranging a volunteer placement for him after school? I don't know the age where he can qualify to participate with the Department of Rehabilitation but they will arrange volunteer placements.

Molly60

My concern is....son does NOT WANT to do anything. No clubs no programs, nothing, nada. This is what got him us into the pickle in the first place. I'm afraid he will not go along with what is arranged or set up and just say screw it and screw you.

Then of course we will need to decide what action to take. I just don't want it to get to the point it was two years ago. Our house was so so stressed and coming apart at the seems. He just does not want to do anything with anybody. Has run away or misbehave until kicked out of profeams. Almost out of programs that he used to do.

Sigh. Maybe we have a miracle here and he will be much better now that he is,sober. But he will need to fight those awful urges when he comes home. He ran to the drugs to escape his feelings and lack of freedom and independence.

He will be 18 years old in October.

Thanks for all the good advice. Keep it com I g.

Somewhere out there i will call you in half an hour. Thank you

We are in Texas and our daughter attended a local sober high school.

I do not know what part of Wisconsin you are in, however, there is a sober high school in your state. Even if they are not close to you they might know of possible alternatives.

Here is the link for the recovery school in Wisconsin:
http://www.horizonhs.org/index.html

Hugs and Blessings,
S2T