Son easy child 3 heads to Persian Gulf in one month

Our youngest son, easy child 3, fixes helos for the Navy. He's heading out for 6 months starting Sept. 1 or so. He'll be missing Thanksgiving and Christmas at home :sad:. He's planning to quit the service next summer, after 6 years, and go to school. He'll get a home leave Aug. 1-14, and easy child 2 and daughter in law are coming up for a few days too. wife and I and easy child 1 are ecstatic about that!:happyguy::jumphappy:

Last edited:

Andy

On Saturday I got together with my family for a send off of my nephew who will be deployed to Tel Afar in two weeks.

I hope your son and my nephew stay safe. My nephew works on computers so we are assuming he will stay on base the 12 months plus he is gone.

I will add your son to the prayers for my nephew's safe return.

DammitJanet

Good luck to your son and the rest of your family. I know what you feel like. Mine deploys for either Iraq or Afghanistan the first of the year. We had thought he was out but they recalled him.

Enjoy your time with your family while he is home.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Wishing you and your family a great reunion and safety for your easy child. Keep us updated on his progress.

LittleDudesMom

Wishes for a fun-filled family reunion!

Our thoughts will be with your family as your son is deployed. I think one positive is that he will hopefully be stationed on a base since he repairs helos and they are generally the safest place to be (well, as safe as our boys can be in that volitile part of the world). My nephew repaired aircraft communications and spent two tous in Iraq and was stationed at an air base.

sharon

nvts

You know, you could make this fun with a little planning!

I know this is a pain in the butt, but why not see if you can set up one of those table top Christmas trees (since he's missing Christmas), make a big Turkey Dinner (you could do one of those turkey breasts if you have a rotisserie for the barbecue - that takes care of Thanksgiving) and serve hor deurves and blow horns at midnight for New Years. Take a TON of pictures and sent them to him in the Gulf close to the holidays!

It may prove cathartic for the entire family.

I'll add him to prayer list of our family in the military (and please tell him I said "thanks" for working and sacrificing to keep us safe!).

Beth

TerryJ2

That's a great idea. Lots of military families celebrate the holidays during "off" times.

I wish him the very best, and hope that between now and next yr, the time flies by for you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
HWGA,

Please thank your son for myself and my family. These young men and women are so brave and SO overlooked for their service. Not a night goes by that I don't think to thank the man upstairs for their dedication so that I can go to sleep at night in my soft bed, and whine if I don't have a/c.

As for YOU my young man!? Keep a good thought in your heart and mind for your child as he goes abroad. And enjoy the time you have with all your kids. WHEN did it happen that they/we weren't all together at the same time? They grow up so fast.

Star

F

flutterbee

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts.

I really like Beth's idea. Enjoy your reunion.

susiestar

Roll With It
HWGA,

I also send my thanks to your son. I am amazed at the honor and dedication our young men and women show during these troubled times.

I will keep him and your family in my prayers.

skeeter

My son missed Thanksgiving and Christmas, too. He REALLY missed Thanksgiving because, while the ship had turkey, since he works second shift, there was none left by the time he got up.
We had his Thanksgiving dinner in June when he got back.

I don't know how I missed this!

Tell your son that all his board Aunties are very proud of him.

He'll be in my prayers for a safe and speedy return.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Thank him for his service. It's very heroic to give in this way.

I know a kid that I work with just graduated HS. We're sitting in the breakroom and I casually asked him what is he going to do now? He said he's enlisted in the Marine's and should be shipped out in a few months. I nearly fainted. Here's this really nice, happy go lucky kid who is going to go fight for our country.

Kudos to your son, and prayers for all.

Abbey

Thank you so much on my behalf and easy child 3's!!

I like the Thanksgiving/Christmas/NewYear's/Easter pre-celebration idea! We might have some fun with that!

This is easy child 3's second "cruise". He is with the air wing attached to a Nimitz-class carrier (the TR, a.k.a. The Big Stick). They will be somewhere near the Middle East, last time it was the Persian Gulf, I'm assuming this time too, but they're not saying.

Things have been super hectic around our house. wife had surgery Wednesday and came home today. I've been on the phone making travel plans with the boys and daughter in law, taking easy child 1 to day care (it's in the home of one of easy child 1's best friends, so seems like a lot of extra-long play dates to her), calling every one with updates on wife (she's doing great), spending time at the hospital, cleaning the house, etc. etc. easy child 3 actually arrives here Aug. 8th, he is staying at my parent's house tonight, then with his brother and sis-in-law until the 8th. easy child 2 and daughter in law come up the 11th.

Thanks again everybody, you are great!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Adding my good luck's, Thank you's and lots of love to you and your family. Especially easy child-3...
What an incredible journey for all of you. You should be proud!

We had a wonderful visit from our boys and daughter in law.

Pictures:

IMG_0289.jpg
easy child 3
IMG_0290.jpg
easy child 2
IMG_0285.jpg
easy child 1 and friend
IMG_0283.jpg
wife and me
IMG_0294.jpg
easy child 2 and daughter in law

(The boys and daughter in law gave easy child 1 a Hannah Montana themed guitar for her birthday - easy child 2 is playing it in the picture. The three of them gave wife, easy child 1 and me a Wii console -- I'm addicted already.) We loaded up easy child 3 with his birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc. presents -- a lot of extra luggage to tote back! Mostly DVDs and books for on the boat -- compact, tradeable, and help the time go by.

Last edited: