Son holds knife to wrist

I'm glad that you are staying strong about where your son should go, and who he should stay with. It is very discouraging when I read that addicts can relapse 7 times before they straighten themselves out. You are doing the very best that you can for your son, even if it is so very hard to deal with. I am sure that both you and I are dealing with these kids one day at a time and hoping that they will make good choices by themselves. My difficult child also smokes a lot of cigarettes all the time, and he has a smoker's cough and is probably hooked on nicotine. Like you I have chosen not to fight that battle over cigarettes. I did find a rehab place where they allow the teens to smoke cigarettes outside the facility, and that was a big issue with my difficult child. I think that he feels calmer about rehab when he knows that he can still have his cigarettes.

Good luck with your son, and let everyone know when he gets to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

buddy

Sorry it is such a hard transition. I hope he makes it to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC). are you saying then that a relative agreed to take him till he goes there. Just stinks they can't keep him until the paperwork/admit is in place. There is such a huge liability to his being out in between. (not yours, theirs and his) Hang in there, you are doing so well under unbelievable stress.

DrPepper

My son made the safe transition to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) this afternoon. I wasn't terribly impressed with the facility so that was a downer. I sure hope there's some magic happening behind those gloomy walls. When I picked him up from the hospital, he looked very medicated. He was acting fairly irritable and I tried as best I could to dodge any possible sore topics on the way which was about an hours ride.

I have been optimistic about him going into other programs, php or just being in the hospital. I don't feel any sense of optimism this time though. I don't wanna jump the gun, and I'm gonna see how things go and hope for the best. But I don't have the sense tonight that things are gonna be ok. The stress of these past few years and especially these last few months is really starting to wear on me. You have to put on your game face at work and that's really hard when you really just want to fall apart.

Just got a call from difficult child from Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Turns out... he likes it. (Hey Mikey) He likes it!! maybe...maybee...

buddy

Good, relieved that he is there at least. I guess fancy doesn't mean quality but it does affect the mood. Well, he is there, time to recharge as much as possible I guess. Keep us updated, will be praying for a nice holiday season for you.

I'm happy to hear that your son is now in the Residential Treatment Center (RTC). You have him in a safe place now, and this will give your family a rest from all the crisis of the last few months. I hope that you can so something special for your other son for the holidays, so that you can enjoy the holidays as a family. It will probably help you all to get your mind off of difficult child for just a little while.
My difficult child is going to be admitted to an inpatient center on Saturday for drug abuse. He really doesn't want to go, and he is telling everyone that we are sending him to "prison". But my husband and i need a break from him, and I hope that he can get the drugs out of his system when he is at rehab. He certainly has not been able to do that by living at home with us.

DrPepper

Pine, good luck tomorrow. If it's any comfort, my son seems to really like it where he's at. Says its a very positive environment. It's no prison, but there are rules and restrictions, of course. Thinking about you because dropping him off there was hard and emotionally draining. But now, we are trying to enjoy the peace and quiet for a change. Amazing how much drama and chaos these kids create.

Huggz

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pepper -

Something a nurse told me the first time I went into a psychiatric hosptial with Dude (age 5) and thought "HOW HORRID" amongst other things just like you - "I don't think this is a good place but remain optimistic." - She said (and I quote) If we made this place fancy and homey like the Ritz Carlton? There wouldn't be any reason for MOST of these kids to work towards going home. You make these places institutional, and a bit uncomfortable so they WORK towards getting out of here-see?"

In that case? It was very true. After 8 weeks he wanted out of there worse than anything. Didn't mean he was perfect at home - They got some medications stablized, tweaked, and started on therapy - for both of us. It was the beginning of a long road. One which my son needs to continue for the rest of his life.

DrPepper

My husband and I went to visit my son today and drop off a few of his things. When we got there his counselor said he'd be right out, and that he was getting his hair cut. We were like what?! a haircut? Hmmph. A few minutes later he walks in sporting a mohawk. Not a big spikey one, but nonetheless. We weren't really expecting that and if he wanted to convey the message that "see, I'm getting, better in here" well, that message was not received. Good golly, what next. He also continues to look over-medicated so that combined with the new haircut, left us feeling a bit unsettled.

Yet, you can't judge a book by its cover. He said he's feeling good and is feeling good about where he's at. Of course, we are dealing difficult child personality #1, the pliable one, the one that makes big plans and all things are possible. Experience says this won't last. I mean, I hope it does, but we don't really know what will happen, do we?

Makes sense that this place isn't too cushy cush so nobody gets too comfy. I get that. It's actually nicer than my first impression. it's really about the program anyhow. I've looked online about these wilderness therapy sessions. Wish I could afford something like that to follow-up the traditional therapy. Just keep him moving.

Still feel sad about everything. Life goes on.

buddy

Q rocked a curly mowhawk two summers ago. I figure that he gets very little control in his life. He can have the hair he wants. Just got it all cut off at procuts, He likes the smells in the shops, so gets product put in and likes the hot towel and back massage, lol.... all for 9 bucks!

The guy on glee has one...I guess it is not bad really. Much worse could be done, lol (think dennis rodman sp?)