Son in hospital

Helpless29

Got a call today from one of my sons exes saying my son is in the hospital , she didn’t know why , but that he had called her & didn’t sound good & he said he didn’t remember. My heart dropped was it a overdose , did he get beat up . I called the hospital & they did tell me he was admitted but could not tell me any other information because he is a adult , what the operator did say was he was in the behavioral / psychiatric unit . I was confused. Do you guys think he would be taken there cuz of drugs ? Or maybe he was acting crazy ? I don’t know how he got there or who called ambulance. I’m glad he’s there getting medical help , I’m hoping they keep him there & he gets help but I’m not sure how it works now that he is a adult. I’m wondering if he can just sign himself out , he hasn’t done that yet if he could do that , so that a good thing . He hasn’t tried contacting me so I don’t know much . I’m just praying he gets help . I’m glad he’s getting care & hope they keep him .

ksm

He must have had mental health issues or substance abuse issues that led to behaviors that were red flags. It could be both. Until the drugs are out of his systems, they may not know... at least that is my non professional opinion.

Praying he gets help. Ksm

Copabanana

Do you guys think he would be taken there cuz of drugs ? Or maybe he was acting crazy ?
Yes and yes. To my way of thinking he was probably admitted there because on drugs he was acting crazily.

In my state there would be a 3 day involuntary hold on the basis of danger to self or other or gravely disabled--which would mean so impaired that he is not meeting his basic needs. If he is in the hospital involuntarily he can't get himself out until the hold expires in 3 days, or longer if extended. It can be extended if he still meets criteria--but the doctor would go before a judge in order to extend it.

There will likely be a social worker there in the hospital and we can pray that that person could help him get extended treatment in a facility if he agrees.

I am writing here of what happens in my state. If the hospital thinks he is safe to leave after 3 days, and he wants to leave--he can walk right out the door--and not go to further treatment, if he doesn't want to. In 3 days, he could well have detoxed under medical supervision, but of course we can't know without knowing the kinds of drugs he is using. We can pray that after 3 days he might have some insight into his situation and agree to get treatment.

Of course, that would be the best case. Praying with you and ksm that he gets the help he needs.

Love, Copa

Last edited:

BusynMember1

You don't know why he is there so there is at least the solace that he is in the hospital getting care today. I try to live one day at a time. For today, your son is safe. Tomorrow is not here yet. One day at a time...helps. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. We only have today. He is safe today.

Nobody can tell you why your son is in the hospital because nobody knows. This is addiction. Often we have.no idea what is going on. It is hopeless to try to figure out why they are anywhere. It is up to them to share with us and often they lie. We are powerless to control our child's disease. Step One in Nar Anon is "We admit we are powerless over addiction, that our lives have become unmanageable." How true is this???

The best you can do is to go to therapy or Nar anon for your sake and start focusing on YOU. You can not fix your son nor help him. But you can make your life good, even as your son struggles. We can still learn to be at peace.

You did not cause his illness. You can not control it. And you can't cure it. Straight from Nar Anon. We all started Nar Anon to learn how to fix our kids. But we learned how to take care of ourselves instead. We learned we can't take care of our child, only us.

in my opinion you are in need of taking care of you since you can't change your son. Yes, you WANT to help him. We all do. But we can't. So we may as well be good to ourselves. We have control over us and only us.

I send prayers and much love that you can find peace, like many.of us. It can take time.

Last edited:

Crayola13

I know you’re scared, but I really hope they keep him there, so that he can get proper treatment. Maybe if he’s put on medication for three days he will see his situation more clearly and realize he needs help.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Helpless

My son has been in a psychiatric ward a few times for erratic behavior due to drug use. There is also a 3 day hold in Illinois and he was able to sign himself out after that time.

I had thought that was "rock bottom" for my son but nope, it was not. It certainly was for me among many other rock bottoms that he did not see.

I got my hopes up so many times that I cannot even count them. I have PTSD to this day and it can be set off on a dime. I am not sure if that will ever be totally healed. I certainly hope so.

As you know my son is on a good track now so please don't give up hope. I had to just realize that HE was doing this to himself and there was not a darned thing I could do about it. It is a mentally exhausting experience for a mom though and I cannot express how much I feel for you. I wish there was a magic potion that would make all this end. I know you'd do anything to make it be in your rearview mirror. I so get it. And someday it will be, just remember that.

Prayers and self care are the only things you can do for YOU. Find your joy in the little things and stay in that place.

Helpless29

Yes and yes. To my way of thinking he was probably admitted there because on drugs he was acting crazily.

In my state there would be a 3 day involuntary hold on the basis of danger to self or other or gravely disabled--which would mean so impaired that he is not meeting his basic needs. If he is in the hospital involuntarily he can't get himself out until the hold expires in 3 days, or is extended. It can be extended if he still meets criteria--but the doctor would go before a judge in order to extend it.

There will likely be a social worker there in the hospital and we can pray that that person could help him get extended treatment in a facility if he agrees.

If the hospital thinks he is safe to leave after 3 days, and he wants to leave--he can walk right out the door--and not go to further treatment, if he doesn't want to. In 3 days, he could well have detoxed under medical supervision, but of course we can't know without knowing the kinds of drugs he is using. We can pray that after 3 days he might have some insight into his situation and agree to get treatment.

Of course, that would be the best case. Praying with you and ksm that he gets the help
Any news, Helpless?
No , I did go on website from hospital & looks like from what I read ( just general information) he will be there 3 days . This happened I think Sunday morning not sure what time so maybe tomorrow or Wednesday he will get out I don’t know .He hasn’t tried contacting me or his dad . I did contact a number his dad gave me from his court paperwork because he was suppose to be there this morning & I let the probation know , they said he will need to turn himself in when he gets out & show discharge paperwork , not sure if he’ll do it but as of know there’s a warrant . I really hope hospital will keep him longer or social workers can get involved. It’s out of my hands now because he’s an adult they will not tell me anything.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Yes I remember that also; we were paying for everything yet they couldn't tell us squat. So frustrating.

Maybe in the scheme of things it's a good thing. I don't know. I just think it's really up to THEM to fix themselves but you know that THEY are so screwed up that how do they even get to that point? That was my concern!

:staystrong: