Son is totally out of control

lovelyboy

Thanx for the feedback.....one of the main reasons she said she will recommend it to the medical aid is because of his poor auditory closure...so he don't know what the word is if he can't hear the ending!
Like example when teacher is talking and turning his back to the class.....but the ST says this is only untill therapy kicks in...he musn't become dependent on it......

soapbox

Thanx for the feedback.....one of the main reasons she said she will recommend it to the medical aid is because of his poor auditory closure...so he don't know what the word is if he can't hear the ending!
Like example when teacher is talking and turning his back to the class.....but the ST says this is only untill therapy kicks in...he musn't become dependent on it......

Please... have him tested for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). I don't know what kind of therapy the ST has in mind, and it may help some things, but...

There are forms of Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) that are not necessarily tested for or recognized. This includes "auditory figure ground", where the person has trouble distinguishing sounds in the presence of background noise... and not being able to "catch" the words when the teacher turns away, is a situation where the balance of primary sound (teacher voice) to background noice changes...

You may have to really fight for this... some SLPs don't test for this yet. But it needs to be ruled on - in or out. If its "in"... then he NEEDS the FM system... full-time, long-term, for all schooling (including after HS).

Teachers also need to change their approach... LOTS of interventions and accommodations, but won't get them unless you have diagnosis...

lovelyboy

Am I correct in saying Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) stands for auditory processing difficulties?...I can almost asume he has this but will ask her....because he has SI problems and she also mentioned his auditory sequencing is poor as well as planning......and poor auditory sequencing memory....

soapbox

There is "classic" Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), often called Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), which involves the ability to "process" language ... often does better with written than verbal.

But there are others... and it sounds more like one of these "others"... like auditory figure ground. In this case, the child has normal language processing and skills... but doesn't "get it" if there is background noise. Written instructions, teacher NEVER talking while facing away from the child, FM systems... all help.

soapbox

Hi Soapbox...I just received the speech therapist report...He has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) and some others!
Did they give you any details? What kind of language around the Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) label? Because... it makes a difference on which interventions and accommodations get priority, and on what to expect...