Son just contacted me only to asked for help with groceries..what do I say to him?

DammitJanet

At his age he really should be looking for work hard with no actual shelter that he can call his own. Even my dumb one knew that. You have to have income enough to get a place or you have to find a place that is cheap enough to afford on the income you do have. My son gets disability so he has to find pretty low rent places to live. He cant get into income based housing because he has a felony record so he has to search out cheap rentals. His felony record isnt anything violent, its where I charged him for forging checks on me and his older brother. Thats pretty much what turned him around to be honest. He lived in some real dumps but this last place is not too awful. Not great either...lol. Im happy with anywhere he lives that isnt in my house!

In most any area you can find somewhere such as a mobile home park that he can find something for around 350 a month plus utilities. Wont be nice, may be ugly but will keep him dry. Will probably be small but he may be able to find a roommate to share a second bedroom if the place is over that price. He should be able to find a job in construction if nothing else. Or working at a convenience store. McDonalds is always hiring. If he can make minimum wage he can make rent on 40 hours a week. He just has to do it. Cory actually only gets 700 bucks a month and manages to pay 350 a month in rent, 100 or so in utilities and he gets 65 in FS. Now Mandy does work or did until the baby came but she only worked about 15 hours a week at a pizza place. They didnt have a whole lot of income coming in. I think last year Mandy grossed 3700.

Just letting you know, he can do it if he wants to. He is single, if he wants to do this he can.

busywend

You did good! Just be very aware that when we give an inch they often want a mile. So stick to your basics and understand you have a line that will not be crossed. You have to know your line before you start making your responses to him. Get together with husband and get it known between you what exactly you are willing and not willing to do. Then, hold each other to it.

buddy

You did good! Just be very aware that when we give an inch they often want a mile. So stick to your basics and understand you have a line that will not be crossed. You have to know your line before you start making your responses to him.

Oh gosh, it never stops????

dollphyn

He is currently staying with a friend of his 30 miles from me..too far to walk to my house. I haven't talked to him about the foodstamp program, but I think a friend of his brought it up to him. He cannot utilize the city bus system to get to my house because it does not run to this area. And yes, I totally agree, he should be out looking for work, husband has told him a million times, to go to the construction sites..