Son on mission trip

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I can't EVEN believe I'm saying that!! My son is on a mission trip in Montana this week. And HE is there to help OTHERS.

If my son can get sober anyone can. Truly I thought we'd end up burying him some day.

On his last binge when he was still home he told me that he would never go to rehab again. He was done with that. Of course having any type of conversation with someone that has been abusing pills for weeks isn't smart or worth doing. It was like I was talking to someone else that had invaded his mind. I did know that at the time.

He never admitted he really had a problem OR thought he could handle it. We watched him spin out of control over and over again for almost eight years.

I told him that it must feel really good to have come so far. He said when he first got to this program which is 13 months long, he looked at the other guys that had been there 8 or 9 months and really was in awe of them because the program is so hard, he did not know how were they able to do it. Now that person is HIM. He did it. I'm so proud every day. It doesn't matter that we FORCED this on him. We left him no choices. I guess we were fortunate that we were able to put him in that position.

I owe it to my higher power. I don't take any credit. I'm just glad this is what he needed and we were able to help him there.

:beautifulthing::abouttime:

New Leaf

Rn, I am so happy for you and your son. Thank you for sharing the good news. Keep checking in and let us know how things are going!
:bpotd:
Big hugs of joy!
Leafy

BusynMember

I am very happy for your family.

I also have a silly and embarrassing question that I should know the answer to but I don't.

What is a Mission?

RN0441

Have not heard back from him yet. He will call us this Thursday. Some great photos were posted though of him looking amazing.

A mission trip is when a group of the guys go to a designated place to work with kids (in his case) spreading their faith. I'm not sure exactly what they did other than some play/skit about social media and how it negatively affects teens. I'll find out more when we talk.

RN0441

Well he called last night for the first time since he got home from Montana.

He said it was a wonderful trip. Absolutely beautiful there. He got to do a lot of fun things.

They volunteered at a youth camp and did a lot of things with the kids. They put on their play that they had prepared also.

He said that he grew from the experience.

It was hard for him to come back to the restrictions of the program but on July 8 he moves into the next phase of the program where he will work full time and have more freedom. This is his transition time back into the real world.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
When I was reading your post what came across to me was that your son is seeing the beauty and the richness of life as well as the limits life offers as well.....for all of us.....it sounds healthy & positive.

RN0441

Thank you.

The way he described the mountains and the clean air and the clear water. He said it was like heaven. It was so sweet to hear him enjoy the simple things that an addict can never enjoy.