Son overdosed.

Southern51

I got a call from an unknown number. A woman introduced herself as a doctor at a hospital in the city my son now lives in. It turned out that he accidentally overdosed. They say he’ll be okay. He needs two shots of narcan to come out of it.

His first question on the phone was whether I would help him pay for rehab. He asked the social worker there about it and she’s making calls to find him a bed.

I am afraid to hope for too much. I hope this would be a turning point but who knows. I just don’t want to hope and be disappointed again.

Sam3

"Will you help me pay for rehab"

So many here know the manipulations and trappings better than I do, but it would be impossible for me to pass that up.

I wouldn't if I had the means.

Unless he has already cycled through treatment or hospitalization as housing.

Kathy813

Staff member
Hello and welcome. I don't know enough about your story to answer whether this is some sort of turning point for your son. I can say that my daughter overdosed on heroin and needed Narcan to be brought back and it didn't make any difference in her outlook or drug use at all.

How old is your son? How long has he been using drugs? Has he been in treatment before?

For now, be thankful that he is alive and seems to be asking for help to get sober.

~Kathy

Sam3

"Will you help me pay for rehab"

So many here know the manipulations and trappings better than I do, but it would be impossible for me to pass that up.

I wouldn't if I had the means.

Unless he has already cycled through treatment or hospitalization as housing.

Meaning I WOULD pay for rehab, finances willing. Sorry. That was a double negative.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Southern
I am so very sorry for your pain. This is never an easy time.

My son overdosed on June and it was a horrific thing to see. He ODd on poly substances. Breathing rate went down to 4-6 breaths per minute. Street Benzos were the primary drug. Opioids and THC and cocaine. Nice mix. In all that he signed himself out after 24 hours.

I am glad your son is asking for rehab. I hope he finds his way back to your love with a clean bill of health.

Southern51

Thank you all for the replies. Son is 22 and has never been to rehab before. He’s always refused it.
I don’t know just how hopeful I should be. I’m hoping this will prove to be a turning point, but i’m Worried about being proven wrong.
We will help him pay for rehab (of course we would pay the program directly and not give him the money). The social worker said she’s found him a bed and in the meantime he’s at the hospital. I’m hoping for the best and trying to prepare for the worst.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
We don’t know do we?

I’m sorry for the pain, and the hope that we all have only to wonder if it will ever come.

Do what you feel In your heart is best. You didn’t say if this would be his first stint at wanting help, but it’s anout you feeling the peace about making that decision.

Hugs prayers
Mof

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Southern:

Welcome. Glad your son is where he needs to be BUT as you can see from my signature, this has not been a quick fix for us. We are into year 7 of this highway to hell.

The best thing you can do is EDUCATE yourself on addiction and mental health if that is part of the mix and get support for yourself.

Unfortunately this is usually a marathon and not a sprint.

Stay strong.

Southern51

Thank you. This is the first time son has asked for help to pay for rehab - in the past, he would ask for money for all kinds of things, until we found out he was using drugs and stopped giving him money. I would never be able to live with myself if my money would go to fund a drug habit that might kill him. I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
He's going to the program the social worker found him tomorrow. I haven't heard from him so far. In the past, he would argue and yell when we'd bring up rehab. Didn't want to hear about it.
I hope this is it.

Copabanana

hi southern and welcome

i am sorry you are going through this hard, hard thing. i know how scary are those phone calls from the hospital.

if you are in the usa would not affordable care act pay for rehab?

i hope you keep posting. you will receive here a lot of support.

take care.

Last edited: