Son taken to hospital

pasajes4

I just this minute got a call from Juvie informing me that my son was being taken by ambulance to the hospital. I was told that he had a seizure while in class. They couldn't tell me anymore than that. He has never had one before. I know they put him on a medication for his blood pressure. I don't know if this had anything to do with it. I was told that they would call me when he returns to the unit. I was also told I can not see him in the hospital even if they keep him.

DDD

I can only imagine how frightening it is to be separated during a time of crisis. Sending hugs and saying prayers that it is a minor problem. DDD

buddy

Oh my wow...I'm sure you're scared. Even if he stays? Do you have say in his treatment?
Sending you lots of hugs.....

JJJ

Depending on what other medications he is on, the addition of the new one could have lowered his seizure threshold just enough for one to breakthrough.

(((Hugs)))

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't know that they can legally keep you totally out of his medical care. If nothing else, print out any medical info you have in the parent report, or write your concerns down along with any info you can remember, and make sure that the docs get it. If you must, get an atty to give it to them. He is your child and they do NOT have a full medical history on him because that really isn't what they are interested in. Any and EVERY halfway decent doctor wants as much info on a patient as is possible to have. MOST hospitals have ombudsmen or patient advcates/representatives and often they can facilitate discussions when there are problems in communication. I urge you to contact one at the hospital as soon as you can.

Praying that he is okay and that you get some info soon!

Pasajes4 - I am so sorry to hear this. I certainly hope that you will be able to learn more about how he is doing very quickly.

I wonder if what happened was not a seizure but a fainting spell. Not to trivialize it but this happened with my son and your mention of the blood pressure medication reminded me.... If his blood pressure dropped too low it could cause him to faint quite easily. Sometimes when people faint (my son included) they look exactly like they are having a seizure. My son will fall to the floor, eyes open, vacant stare, and his body convulses for up to a minute. It's very scary and looks exactly like a seizure but isn't.

Either way they were right to send him directly to the hospital to get checked over. Hugs and prayers coming your way.

TerryJ2

Oh, wow.

I would be pacing in the hallway at the hospital.

I am so sorry. I am glad that they took him to the hospital and that he is being cared for right now, though.

I will be thinking about you and sending strength. {{hugs}}

Steely

Many hugs and positive thought your way. I cannot imagine you being left out of the whole thing. So sorry. :(

pasajes4

I can not call the hospital. Once they are in custody, some of your rights as a parent are on hold. I can call medical at the juvenial facility and they will update me and they can tell him that I called and he can pass a message to me through them (a little bending of the rules). They do have his complete medical history. the care they receive in this facility is really top notch. The medical laison asked for his complete records, which I always have copies of, It is in the university medical center computer as well. That is where they took him and he is on a secured ward. At 4:30 he was resting comfortably and they are waiting for the results.

i want to thank everyone for their kind words and concern. I know he is in good hands at this moment even under a not so good situation.

DDD

Truly I can't tell you how relieved I am to read your latest post. How wonderful that you know he is getting great treatment that you can rely on! I have had a somewhat related incidence and the care was "iffy"...so...I have been concerned about your and your difficult child all afternoon. Now I can chill and get ready for bed. Hugs DDD

StressedM0mma

So glad that he is resting, and that he is stable. I hope you find out soon what happened. I also wondered if it could have been his blood pressure was too low, or his blood sugar? Praying that you get more good news soon.