Son trying everything to be homeschooled...

Confused

Well, I knew this would happen!!!!! Since daughter is being home schooled, he is telling his teachers hes going to be home schooled, telling me its not fair he wants to be home too, its non stop! Yes his days he has missed he has been mainly sick for most of them, but hes over the limit now , so summer school is next to get him to pass to 4th. Well I tell him he and his sister have different issues and his type benefits from school, and look how bored he gets at home just after a few minutes! That I have to work and cant be home with him but his sister is old enough to be alone if needed. ( My dads here but he cant handle my son) Besides I know my son needs to be around kids and adults so he can learn to act calm, social skills etc. His energy levels are high( adhd) and oh my even I was a millionaire ..nope!! I love him but that boy has to be in school!

I have even told him let me see how 9th grade goes with him in the future and I will think about home school then ..maybe... But I just dont ever see him being home, hes just not that type! He goes and goes! I cant get him to do work here anyways so thats automatically out!

Any ideas to keep him interested in school?? Thanks!

BusynMember

I am going to send you an article on unschooling. Many of my homeschool friends did it, especially with difficult kids. The amazing thing is, it works. The kids learned, several have gone to college. There is no formal work involved nor is there papers or homework. I never heard of it, nor would I have believed in it, until I saw for myself. It was especially effective for the kids who were taken out of school due to diagnoses that ranged from ADHD to autism spectrum. These kids seem to love to read!!! But they also learn how to build things and grow plants and do hands on stuff.

If you hate school, you may not get much out of a strict curriculum. You can sit in a school room with books and learn nothing. I can vouch for that.

http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/homeschooling/unschooling-101/

Confused

Thank you Midwest, I know my daughter is happy being home now. But as far as my son, what do I do with him when I work? I plan on the Public School for 4th, but lets see what your article says :) Ok, Ill get back on after I read it thank u!

Oh, for me in school my issues started with a teacher, having problems going after that. What got me though was friends and when they left, I left. Ya, I regret that. The work didnt bother me, but yes, it was being alone. I remember you saying you had school issues to. Ok, enough of my going on, Ill be back :)

Malika

I certainly second the vote for unschooling. I think it's a great "method" (or non-method) and I know I would have loved it myself when I was of a school age. The only thing is... I just don't know how well it works with our ADHD kids who need and want so much routine and structure. I have tried it myself with J, as did a tutor he had briefly in Marrakesh - and he just wouldn't play ball after the first session or so. Just used it as an excuse to run off and do nothing. I do do it with him all the time, informally, in addition to school - he's interested in lots of things (eg Siamese twins and Japanese warriors!) and it works well. But not as the "main" school prop.

InsaneCdn

Just my opinion here but I can see unschooling working better if you live on a farm or something - lots to do, lots to investigate, LOTS to learn and lots of ways to apply learning.

A little harder in the city.

Confused

Ok, I read the article, and it is very interesting. My son doesnt mind some work, of course what the article says if the kids like it they will learn it easier.. or be more willing. He is very hands on so I see how some of thetype of learning would work for him.( daughter too) . I even looked at the part time schooling at school and home they had which, I think is interesting too. But again, just dont know what Id do with son while at a job.

Malika- Yes, see I cant get my son to do his homework either.. as hes like J, go go go!! The way Midwest was saying its actually less academics and more "play learn" like cutting wood as the article says will help with math as well as counting money, field trips etc. Which I do agree with, that added with my son would be a wonderful and easier way to learn.

InsaneCdn- Good point, I wouldn't mind a farm! Theres my acres I wanted! But, good point because on a farm hed be non stop- what he needs.

Thank you everyone! You all just gave me some ideas for something and Im going to see how it works before I tell ya! Hugs!!!

BusynMember

A lot of the unschooled kids were diagnosed with ADHD. A lot of the parents didn't really believe the kids had ADHD and took them out of school as there was pressure to put them on medication, which they were against. They seemed to at least be much happier.

An example of unschooling, which I saw, is that when Mom is buying, say, fruit and she gives a few tomatoes to Junior so he can weigh the tomatoes then figure out the price. It's real life learning. Worked pretty well and I would have liked it too. I didn't do well in a conventional setting. Yet after I got out of school, I have loved learning on my own and pursuing the things I love. Not everyone can handle sitting in a chair for so long or paying attention to boring stuff. I know I could not do it. Not would not. COULD not. So I did very poorly in a structured classroom.

AppleCori

I have homeschooled for quite a few years, in three different states and five different towns/cities and have been in a lot of different homeschooling groups with people with many different homeschooling philosophies.

Some were Unschoolers. Some of them were very successful, some not so much.

Many of the successful ones had kids who were highly motivated self-learners who loved to research and investigate things on their own and had parents who were the same.

TV, video games and non-educational computer use was very limited in their homes and many had family farms or other home businesses and the kids often started businesses as well.

Most had the kids do math pretty regularly (from a text, computer games or printed worksheets). Most of the families put a high priority and reading time, both together and separately.

Most go to the library often and/or own lots of books.

Own lots of science tools/equipment/experiment kits.

Kitchen table discussions on history/science/current events.

Emphasis on figuring out things/learning new things/researching/nature study.

It is a lot more work than handing the kid a workbook to fill out.

Many kids thrive in this environment. Some don't. You have to experiment until you find what works best for that particular child. Many ADD kids are hands-on learners who do well with minimal workbook/textbook learning and lots of active learning. Some are actually motivated learners, just not motivated by sitting still and quiet in a classroom for hours on end.

I am not a traditional unschooler. We do math(loves it), Latin (loves it), spelling and writing/grammar daily with a structured program. Violin is practiced daily as well.

History is less formal, lots of reading, discussion, projects, crafts, art etc.

Science is all fun with reading, experiments, documentaries, doing whatever we are interested in learning about. We do lots of nature study, nature journaling, researching. Daughter probably knows more science than the average adult.

She goes to school one day a week for 4 1/2 hours and that is fun for her, but she doesn't want to go any more than that. And recess and PE are her favorite parts.

The problem with your situation is that you are looking for work, so not sure if you would have the time for this.

Confused

MidwestMom, True and I have already done that with my kids. I mean , id show them the advertisements when they helped me make or shopping lists, teach them different foods, shop by recipes, but being hands on at the store is better your right. My son NEVER was able to stay in his car seat when we shopped or even in the little seat they have for kids he wanted to be crawling/walking/held/touching. Now, I hand him the list, cart and follow him. ( and daughter) I have them checking off what we got, check the price -he likes checking weighing the fruit/veggies which I never do haha. I even have them hand the money to the cashier :) As long as my son has complete control there and gets a few food and one non food item hes ok to go. But, he still can want everything and tantrum over it in some moods. He likes school, he just wants it to be later and more hands on like you said. Less hours too. He can talk for a while about his day :)

AppleCori, Thank you for sharing I will also use your techniques for my daughter who is homeschooled, and even for son, either way :) Thats the hard part to have him home when I have to work, but add he doesn't listen to me to do his work either.. Thanks, Im going to keep checking into what I can work out for him. Glad everything is working out for you and your family with schooling this way :)